• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New motor from BRP

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I would not compare a lynx to a doo. A lynx is built heavier and tougher. I have bent a rail just by contacting a rock the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had more trouble witha Lynx suspension last season than any Doo suspension. One season and the rear arms would invert every time the suspension sretched out. (stretch out and go over center leaving the track slack, where we had to pry back into place. Had to use a rope as a makeshift limiter straps on the rear arms.) I have not heard others complain about this so I expect it was just ridden too hard and worn out.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I'm still a fan of Doo releasing a bigger bore N/A to compete with the 9R market. And if you are a Doo boy, stop now before you answer and say the current doo line-up competes with the 9R. This is not what is being said here. I am not talking about competing engine to engine, I am talking about competing with their monopoly on the "light weight, big bore N/A" market. For mountain tree riding, Polaris sold a lot of 9R's and will sell a lot more this season. Doo would have a killer motor if it had the HP that bigger pistons would make with the long stroke torque they already have. They could build it less expensive, less complex and much lighter than a turbo.

titus_4

Doo It Big
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 27, 2019
Indiana
I would be interested in a Skidoo big bore as long as they don't charge turbo pricing for it, like Polaris does. It would obviously be an upcharge over the 850, but if you are within $500 or so of a turbo, I'd get a turbo. I only get to go west once a year so a I can't justify buying a turbo (yet), but also I don't really want the weight of the turbo.

180-190 hp at sea level on a n/a would still offer me an increase in power at 10k feet in Wyoming and would be a riot in Michigan.

I rode a 9R last year for only about 15-20 minutes. It was our guides' sled. First time ever on a Polaris. Personally, I thought the power was about the same as my Summit 850, with a little quicker revving. The chassis was pretty nice though compared to the Gen 4. It was definitely easier for me (as an intermediate rider) to get on edge. The Gen 5 summits felt closer to the Polaris on handling.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I would be interested in a Skidoo big bore as long as they don't charge turbo pricing for it, like Polaris does. It would obviously be an upcharge over the 850, but if you are within $500 or so of a turbo, I'd get a turbo. I only get to go west once a year so a I can't justify buying a turbo (yet), but also I don't really want the weight of the turbo.

180-190 hp at sea level on a n/a would still offer me an increase in power at 10k feet in Wyoming and would be a riot in Michigan.

I rode a 9R last year for only about 15-20 minutes. It was our guides' sled. First time ever on a Polaris. Personally, I thought the power was about the same as my Summit 850, with a little quicker revving. The chassis was pretty nice though compared to the Gen 4. It was definitely easier for me (as an intermediate rider) to get on edge. The Gen 5 summits felt closer to the Polaris on handling.
There are a lot of guys like you that don't need or want a turbo. The turbo guys just can't accept that though.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
And like titus just said, the 850 doo felt comparable to the 9r, so why would do increase the displacement of their current NA engine if its not necessary. Even with the lighter weight and smaller displacement, the doo has no problem keeping up.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
And like titus just said, the 850 doo felt comparable to the 9r, so why would do increase the displacement of their current NA engine if its not necessary. Even with the lighter weight and smaller displacement, the doo has no problem keeping up.

I don't believe this as my 850 Polaris N/A is faster than the Doo N/A's. The Doo's however hit hard on the bottom end. Maybe this is what you notice? Or possibly the more aggressive Doo track?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I don't believe this as my 850 Polaris N/A is faster than the Doo N/A's. The Doo's however hit hard on the bottom end. Maybe this is what you notice? Or possibly the more aggressive Doo track?

No, I do not run stock clutching on my doos, it’s the first to go, it hits a wall.
The only Polaris that ever outrun me by a length an a half was a sled with an alpha track and suspension in it. Got me out of the hole.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
where are the posts saying how much quicker, more powerful, whatever the 9R is? seems like for Polaris to spend all the money and time on this new niche/machine then the 9R would be better by a very noticeable, long shot.
not saying it isn't but don’t see the info supporting it.

Last edited:

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I'm all for lighter, stronger and faster, I just don't want to see the price of it.

A
Jan 31, 2010
where are the posts saying how much quicker, more powerful, whatever the 9R is? seems like for Polaris to spend all the money and time on this new niche/machine then the 9R would be better by a very noticeable, long shot.
not saying it isn't but don’t see the info supporting it, .
Here one for you.

Been on Doo since 2001. Last winter we rented doo 850, Doo 850 turbski, and polaris 9r Khaos. The 9r was hands down the favorite of the group. Way more powerful than the 850 doo, and beat the Turbski in a drag race (I know that isnt the best test, but tells you its at least quicker). We ride from sea level to 3k feet around here normally. Sometimes up to 5k on a clear day.

High elevation I would expect the Turbski to win. But in the Mountains of Alaska I prefer the snap of the 9r without any of the turbo complications

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Here one for you.

Been on Doo since 2001. Last winter we rented doo 850, Doo 850 turbski, and polaris 9r Khaos. The 9r was hands down the favorite of the group. Way more powerful than the 850 doo, and beat the Turbski in a drag race (I know that isnt the best test, but tells you its at least quicker). We ride from sea level to 3k feet around here normally. Sometimes up to 5k on a clear day.

High elevation I would expect the Turbski to win. But in the Mountains of Alaska I prefer the snap of the 9r without any of the turbo complications

If it was a G4 turbo than no it would not.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
There are a lot of guys like you that don't need or want a turbo. The turbo guys just can't accept that
Here one for you.

My opinion is the doo turbo isn’t worth the cost and weight until 5k feet. It’s cheaper and lighter just to build an 850. Here in CO we ride 9500-13000 and stock 9r’s don’t compete at all with any factory turbos. I say stock because somebody’s gonna come on here and talk about burandt, but his sleds are far from stock. Probably tough to here from a “turbo guy”.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
not saying it isn't but don’t see the info supporting it.
It is designed to be quick revving and light, with a bit more power and torque than the 850 version. Best for on/off quick throttle decisions that you need in tight trees on a steep slope. Guys buying these for what they are made for are not racing them a whole lot.

Premium Features