• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New- looking for tour snowmobile/trailer and safety training in Washington State

S
Jan 11, 2016
Hi All,
I've used snowmobiles for work purposes over the years- hauling gear in Colorado and work purposes in Antarctica. I'm a professor and have a research project in the mountains in Central Washington (Blewett Pass). We've been renting snowmobiles the past several years to access a study site, and I'm now looking for a second hand snowmobile (budget is limited) and trailer for these purposes to allow us to access our study site more regularly. I'm interested in any suggestions people may have for what type of a snowmobile I need to haul two people, and a sled with a couple hundred of pounds of gear on it. We're mostly on groomed trails. My basic understanding of what I am looking for is probably a touring sled (need it 2up), 500cc, and something dependable. Nothing fancy required. We aren't experienced riders- I'm just looking for something that can dependably get the job done.

Lastly, where to get safety/skill training for snowmobile use? I'll be with students some of the time, but I'd like to send students through safety/skill training (how to load/unload a sled, getting them unstuck, basic mechanics, etc). Any suggestions? My student has tried contacting the Washington Snowmobile Association but hasn't received a response.

Many thanks,
Susan

Premium Features