• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Lightweight steel, strong as titanium, cheaper

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Interesting read, probably a few years out from this at least but looks promising.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a24939/new-steel-alloy-titanium/

From shipping containers to skyscrapers to turbines, good old steel is still the workhorse of our modern world. Now, scientists are discovering new secrets to make the material better, lighter, and stronger.

Today a team of material scientists at Pohang University of Science and Technology in South Korea announced what they're calling one of the biggest steel breakthroughs of the last few decades: an altogether new type of flexible, ultra-strong, lightweight steel. This new metal has a strength-to-weight ratio that matches even our best titanium alloys, but at one tenth the cost, and can be created on a small scale with machinery already used to make automotive-grade steel. The study appears in Nature.

"Because of its lightness, our steel may find many applications in automotive and aircraft manufacturing," says Hansoo Kim, the researcher that led the team.

Bend, Don't Break
The key to creating this new super-steel was overcoming a challenge that had plagued materials scientists for decades. In the 1970's, Soviet researchers discovered that adding aluminum to the mix when creating steel can make an incredibly strong and lightweight metal, but this new steel was unavoidably brittle. You'd have to exert lots of force to reach the limit of its strength, but once you did, the steel would break rather than bend.

WE RECOMMEND
If the Ferrari 458 turbo sounds like this, sign us up
Scientists soon realized the problem: When creating the aluminum-steel alloy, they were occasionally fusing atoms of aluminum and iron together to form tough, crystalline structures called B2. These veins and nuggets of B2 were strong but brittle—until Kim and his colleges devised a solution.

"My original idea was that if I could somehow induce the formation of these B2 crystals, I might be able to disperse them in the steel," he says. The scientists calculated that if small B2 crystals were separated from one another, then the surrounding alloy would insulate them from splintering.

Kim and colleagues spent years devising and altering a method of heat-treating and then thinly rolling their steel to control when and where B2 crystals were formed. The team also discovered that adding a small percentage of nickel offered even more control over B2 formation, as nickel made the crystals form at a much higher temperature.

More Super-Materials to Come?
Kim's team has created the new metal on a small scale. But before it can be mass-produced, researchers must confront a tricky production issue.

THIS NEW METAL HAS A STRENGTH-TO-WEIGHT RATIO THAT MATCHES EVEN OUR BEST TITANIUM ALLOYS
Currently, steelmakers use a silicate layer to cover and protect mass-produced steel from oxidation with the air and contamination from the foundry. This silicate can't be used for Kim's steel because it has a tendency to react with the cooling aluminum, compromising the final product. Before we starting building skyscrapers out of super-steel, they'll have to figure out a way to protect the material out in the real world.

It'll be worth it. The final product of all this tinkering "is 13 percent less dense compared to normal steel, and has almost the same strength-to-weight ratio compared to titanium alloys," Kim says. That's remarkable, but Kim insists that the method is actually more important than the result. Now that his results are published, he expects scientists to cook up a multitude of new alloys based on the B2-dispersion method.

Edit.. originally a Popular Mechanics article

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/news/a13919/new-steel-alloy-titanium/

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow with 300 HP engines weighng under 90 pounds now metal stronger and lighter will we see a sub 300 pound sled?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow with 300 HP engines weighng under 90 pounds now metal stronger and lighter will we see a sub 300 pound sled?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Interesting to say the least. I've wondered how long it would take to make a material that would out do what we already have that would compare to titanium. Wonder how the weldability would be? Hmm pretty cool.
Dan

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Being a steel I wonder about corrosion resistance.which besides strength makes Titainium hard to beat in many applications.

As a machinist I'd be curious about machineability compared to Ti

Last edited:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
This new steel alloy will still need some sort of corrosion protection on it, unless used for the crankshaft, connecting rods, wrist pins, and other items inside the engine and bathed in oil to keep corrosion at bay. So it brings with it disadvantages as well.

Whereas Titanium only real weakness is fuming red (boiling) nitric acid, and not present in our normal surroundings, obviously.

Still very cool, and could well be revolutionary to making lighter, more energy efficient vehicles, structures, and whatever else we can dream up to use it for.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Being a steel I wonder about corrosion resistance.which besides strength makes Titainium hard to beat in many applications.

As a machinist I'd be curious about machineability compared to Ti

I'm not a machinist, but I'm guessing that the modulus of elasticity of the new alloy would be a percentage of the steel and aluminum modulus, 30000 ksi -100000 ksi. The hardness of the material wouldn't have to increase, but the tensile properties would have too. With that being said, I would guess that machinability and weldability would be similar to that of A36 or 6061-T6. But the only way to really tell will be when they actually start machining.

Premium Features