• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Gates R belt.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What is the angle of the belt? I understand if it is a Trs protected secret sauce!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
26 degree results in a a much quicker break in and much less stress on the top-cog portion of the belt especially during break in. I have been running a Gates R belt as of late and do not have any complaints, belt grip is good, no detectable slip, consistent RPM's and the best part of all is my sheaves aren't brown with gooey compounds being released from a hot belt after a smokin' fast 7 mile bump run down to the truck on a 60 degree afternoon.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
So does the shorter break-in have anything to do with the compound? I've been very happy with the C12 belts – except for the break-in part, and that's on older sleds with a matching side angle. To properly follow the recommended procedure takes up most of a morning of riding. I've got lucky now and then with enough snow to break one in near where I live, but then I've found having only one correct, broke-in belt means something bad happens to it (my fault, not the belt). So it's hard to predict when you'll need to break one in, and even after a couple full days of riding, the belt still doesn't look fully bedded in.

I thought about trying the 47R belt a couple months ago, but it's much harder to find (talking about the standard 28º), and I figured there'd be little benefit over the C12. But if I get caught out again (though I think I've learned my lesson), I might try the 47R. That said, I had a similar experience to AdrenalineAddict on my last ride: was warm all day, hard to keep the sled cool at times, then finished off the day with a blast back to the truck (fortunately, the snow was more slushy lower down). Other than a small ring at the base of the primary, the sheaves are bright and clean. I also follow something TRS recommended a while back: I grind the side of the top cogs flat (perpandicular to the top of the belt). Seems to result in less build-up during break-in, and probably keeps the belt cooler.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I went for a burn this morning, approximately 200 miles on the R belt and swapped belts about midway through the day just for comparison sake, I was seeing approximately 50 more RPM's with the R belt over the 216 in long belt heating pulls, the ambient air temp was probably 50 degrees. I'm guessing in the cold dead of winter we'll see nearly identical running RPM's, but I feel the R belt will shine and fade less when clutch temps climb. At this point in time I for one am feeling real good about this product, no more sheave cleaning when I get home makes me a happy sledder. Im curious what TRS's experience with the belt has been, he probably has more hours on these belts than most.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The 47R with the 26* is running more rpm than the standard 47R.
I believe it relates to the standard belt narrowing during breakin. That allows for a little wider belt to sheave measurement which loads the engine.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I put another 55 miles on the R belt again this morning, nothing but smiles at this point. It performed flawlessly, 8350 on the 7,800' trail ride, mid mountain 8,100, and 7950 to 8000 all the way to 11,000', no slip, solid backshift. If it is as durable as advertised it could be that Gates actually built a better mousetrap.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Update on the Gates Redline:
I have approximately 600 miles on the belt, the sheaves look great, no grooving, no color, no slippage, and runs similar RPM's to the stock belt. The belt looks great at 600 miles and I'm hoping it will make a 2,000 mile season with out any issues. This is the first aftermarket belt I've ever run that lives up to the hype that comes with a new product.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana

Been running the 4572 belt I had purchased with clutch kit and first belt has been doing great about ready to switch to second one I got from you.. they were both the 28.. does the 26 work better without having to make other changes? PM me on recommendation of which to order from you please.. Tanks

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Quick update on the R- belt. I am near the end of our 2022 riding season and presently have 1,800 miles of steep hard mountain climbing on the belt. I deglaze the belt approximately every 500 miles. It runs very cool compared to any other belt I've ever run, and performed flawlessly today in 65 degree ambient air temps. As far as measurable wear it measures only .004" thinner than when it was new. I am hoping it makes the season and upon looking at the belt I don't see why it won't perform well through another season, no slip, great backshift, very little fade even on the longest of pulls. Great Product!!!

Premium Features