• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New ford 7.3L Gas!

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
And I find it funny that a GM guy is implying that Ford is sucking hind tit to GM in the 3/4 ton gas engine department, lol.

Where did he say that,I looked and couldn’t find that quote.
Why do you always twist what people say and turn it into a argument based on your what I would call twisted opinion.
You should use the quote option when making posts like this one.
Truth is always the best option,you come off like a politician.
Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
When he posted "Saw this but I find it funny that Ford is taking a page out of GM's book here" it comes across as Ford is catching up, and in this particular category that is an ironic statement.

But go ahead read something else into it if you like.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Where did he say that,I looked and couldn’t find that quote.
Why do you always twist what people say and turn it into a argument based on your what I would call twisted opinion.
You should use the quote option when making posts like this one.
Truth is always the best option,you come off like a politician.
Just sayin

Furthermore, not looking for an argument, and have no interest in taking the bait today.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I like how they sell oil jets as a new awesome thing. Every modern 4 stroke has an oil jet that cools and lubes the piston!

They do? Better check that claim. Most auto engines lube the cylinder walls with splash from the crank, not dedicated oil jets. Not to say that piston squirters are something new, because they are not, lots of engines use them but certainly not every modern 4 stroke engine has them by a long shot.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
The other fun part is the heavy duty market placement so they don't have to post the MPG figures...

Going to be a gas pig almost for sure... My F250 with the 6.2 gets about 12mpg in the summer and 10 in the winter.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
And I find it funny that a GM guy is implying that Ford is sucking hind tit to GM in the 3/4 ton gas engine department, lol.

I'm simply saying that Ford has switched to a Pushrod motor for their HD. Is there anyone on the face of the earth that makes a better Pushrod than GM?

Who has stuck with larger displacement motors in all of their trucks?

GM's HD trucks have got the job done for a long time. They have had one Diesel motors since 2001. How many has Ford had since then? GM has had two Gas HD motors in that same time frame. 2020 will be the first change to that since 2006 (8.1l was dropped). While the 6.0 has not been a sexy motor, it was proven, durabil, simple and strong. Sure it didn't run with a diesel motor, but what does?

But yes, Ford is using a page out of GM's book here. Big displacement, iron block, piston squirters, big cooling capacity, lots of fasteners to hold the motor together, lots of space between cylinders. GM has been doing this for several decades. It actually goes back to the 454 in the pre-2001 trucks.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
why a freaking 10 speed auto then? I hate the current 10 speed in the light duty trucks, just way too busy shifting all the time. I think 6 speeds is perfect but I guess we are going away from that.

i love the 10speed in my f150. from what i can tell its every bit as smooth as the 6speed trans.

looking forward to seeing more on this motor. not my cup of tea but its cool to see ford leap frog GM in big block gas motors

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
i love the 10speed in my f150. from what i can tell its every bit as smooth as the 6speed trans.

looking forward to seeing more on this motor. not my cup of tea but its cool to see ford leap frog GM in big block gas motors

I rented an Expedition with the eco/10sp over turkey day last fall, drove it to OK and back. Smooth yes, busy shifting all the time, yes. Not my cup of tea.

Cool to see a new big block gasser for sure!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
GM has been doing this for several decades. It actually goes back to the 454 in the pre-2001 trucks.

But you said they dropped the big block in '06, so it has been 13 years since they really offered anything like this... So in fact they have not been doing this in over a decade might be more accurate?

I went through several GM trucks including two big block suburbans and two d-max trucks. Haven't owned GM since they screwed with me on the '03 D-max.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Mixed feelings on the bazzilion speed trannys these days. One one hand you're always in the powerband. On the other hand it's shifting all the time. Shifting smooth sure, but I still notice it.

A
Jan 28, 2010
I'm simply saying that Ford has switched to a Pushrod motor for their HD. Is there anyone on the face of the earth that makes a better Pushrod than GM?

GM's HD trucks have got the job done for a long time. They have had one Diesel motors since 2001. How many has Ford had since then? GM has had two Gas HD motors in that same time frame. 2020 will be the first change to that since 2006 (8.1l was dropped). While the 6.0 has not been a sexy motor, it was proven, durabil, simple and strong. Sure it didn't run with a diesel motor, but what does?

But yes, Ford is using a page out of GM's book here. Big displacement, iron block, piston squirters, big cooling capacity, lots of fasteners to hold the motor together, lots of space between cylinders. GM has been doing this for several decades. It actually goes back to the 454 in the pre-2001 trucks.

<div>For driving down the interstate gm or Chevy are fine but for a real work truck nothing beat a ford just built better than the rest</div>

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
Lets just hope it better than the v10 pig they made. gm had that 8.1 gas back in erley 2000s way better engine and lots more power. so im hoping the new 7.3 gas is good.

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I do like the look of the new Ford trucks but there power plants haven’t been dependable since the flat head.
Now that was a quality piece!
Just my opinion though.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
With emissions and crappy gas it will be low mpgs just like the rest. To bad regular gas wasn't 98 octane. Also on diesel cetane keeps going down on diesel. If it was 60 we could possibly see 25 to 30 mpgs on big trucks.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I don't think that the consumer cares if the engine is pushrod or ohc, as long as it gets the job done

current displacement offering
Gm 6.0
Ford 6.2
Ram 6.4

We all loved that 8.1...RIP
They have all been doing it for decades.
The premise that any single one (any brand) is superior is absurd

I would be more than satisfied with what is being offered by any of the manufacturers, they are all so advanced that to knock any of them looks silly.

Premium Features