• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New flash for the 21 Patriot

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Booked in this week for the latest (PBR) SSA-21-01 re-flash, hope this cleans things up. Sled is a 2020 850 with the 21 flash, but still has a few issues with starting warm etc.
Will report back after a weekend ride!!
Can you also let us know if the flash improves low speed running e.g. deceleration or reduces popping when coming down steep hills and when you grab a handful if it reacts faster and crisper?

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Just to clarify, is there a new flash for the 21's or are you saying the 21 flash is available for the 20 and older sleds. I'm extremely curious because I have a 21 165 2.75" khaos which I absolutely love other than the fat burbly rich feeling in low mid range especially going downhill but sled never really seems to totally load up which is nice, and the fact you need to run the track turbo tight for which i have just put the avid extroverts on so that track lasts more than 1 season which I don't anticipate they will. Although i have gone through 2 sets of plugs in 600 miles. Cheers
I've noticed the same on mine ('21 850 Pro 165) . Maybe 500 mi on it now. On occasion, it felt a little fat and blubbery. thought I was fouling a plug, changed plugs and seemed to go away. thought is was just due to rich oil during the break in period. I think I'm well out of it now. Curious what this flash is. And I'm already running the QD2 re-flash. Other than that, runs awesome. Prob my favorite sled so far - and didn't have to do any significant mods to make it that way.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Flash seemed to work well, no starting issues. Polaris just doesn't make an engine stator combo thats wants to start on one pull, this is where the Etec shines.
Sled ran fine, it was a meadow and road type ride with lots of powder so keeping the belt from slipping was another matter, dam near went over the bars a handful of times...It seems my deep powder sled doesn't like deep powder at all, snow was getting in creating some serious chaos....Must be how Poo came up with the name.
My 2017 Turbo which is nearly the identical sled almost never has an issue with snow on the clutchs!!!

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Flash seemed to work well, no starting issues. Polaris just doesn't make an engine stator combo thats wants to start on one pull, this is where the Etec shines.
Sled ran fine, it was a meadow and road type ride with lots of powder so keeping the belt from slipping was another matter, dam near went over the bars a handful of times...It seems my deep powder sled doesn't like deep powder at all, snow was getting in creating some serious chaos....Must be how Poo came up with the name.
My 2017 Turbo which is nearly the identical sled almost never has an issue with snow on the clutchs!!!
Thanks @goontwo I need to get mine flashed again the hot starts were brutal this weekend. I had trouble with snow leaking in on the left side of my headlight vertically that I siliconed.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I rode my buddy's 2020 163 kaos and it was getting snow on clutch and spinning out on belt. Just when sidehilling on left. Gave it back to let him blow his own belt and he just thought I wanted my alpha back because it didn't do it for him. He finally had it happen. I've never had that happen on all the polaris's I've owned. Even people talking about snow coming in footwell. Never had problems there either. Anybody have trouble with this?

P
Jan 22, 2013
leduc, alberta
Hasn’t this engine been out 3 years now, and they are still working on a fuel map? We were at a rental shop in West Yellowstone, and every night they have to pull their fleet of Polaris 850’s in so they will all start in the morning. I wanted to try Polaris again, but I have no faith in that motor.
Motors good , but their fuel system is a "cheat"system.....thus adding more sensors and mapping to try to get the fuel to burn. Starting with warm fuel with increased vapor pressure is making up for a crap system.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
First I have heard of the snow on the belt problem. I have a 21,20,18,16 in my fleet I have rode windshield deep pow multiple times this year never had an issue. Curious where the snow is coming in at for you guys.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
First I have heard of the snow on the belt problem. I have a 21,20,18,16 in my fleet I have rode windshield deep pow multiple times this year never had an issue. Curious where the snow is coming in at for you guys.
Its the type of snow. Dry snow gets in the footwell. Wet snow doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Ran mine against friends. I have the flash and he doesn't. It seems cleaner but when we swapped secondary clutches his improved a lot. I normally run a 60/40 and he a 62/42. When you let these motors rev quicker they don't load up as much. Coming downhill during engine breaking they both sound a bit rough still but when you grab a handful the flashed sled wakes up quicker.

Track Man

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Coppins Meadow
I did the map. It helps a little. I put a set a Boondocker adjustable weights my drive clutch. Best $229 I ever spent. They guaranteed or your money back in 30 days. I get it tuned in to 8300 8250 all day long.

Premium Features