• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2020 sled is in

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
My 2020 Freeride arrived at the dealer today. Earliest I've ever had a spring order arrive.

I'm assuming Doo made changes to their production line from previous years, but who knows. At least I won't be complaining about not having the sled if early snow arrives.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My 2020 Freeride arrived at the dealer today. Earliest I've ever had a spring order arrive.

I'm assuming Doo made changes to their production line from previous years, but who knows. At least I won't be complaining about not having the sled if early snow arrives.

This feels seriously early.
You have a ton of time to get that bad boy fully customized for the next season now!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, when I worked at the dealership, this would be the time when we'd start receiving the utility sleds from Finland, and the rest of the line would start showing up in September. They're probably trying to get it in your garage early so you'll gawk at it and start spending on bling... :face-icon-small-coo

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah, when I worked at the dealership, this would be the time when we'd start receiving the utility sleds from Finland, and the rest of the line would start showing up in September. They're probably trying to get it in your garage early so you'll gawk at it and start spending on bling... :face-icon-small-coo

Makes sense.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012

Like I need more time to spend money on "bling" for the sled!!!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
My 19 came last year about now or a touch earlier if I remember. I’m thinking they got a lot of flak from folks waiting until December January for their order. That doo made some changes.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
My 19 came last year about now or a touch earlier if I remember. I’m thinking they got a lot of flak from folks waiting until December January for their order. That doo made some changes.

Here's an excerpt from an article from Ski Doo's website that talked about their manufacturing process:

“In the June/July period, the plant will build a first run of every model offered,” Courtemanche explained. “These units are for the customers that purchased in the spring and also so that each dealer receives part of their order. Typically at least one model (except for certain seds, like the MXZx 600RS race sled) will be built three times during the year. The first build in June/July, the second in September/October and the 3rd in November/December. The dealer tells us when they need the unit. This production schedule works well for the dealers and customers, as well as the manufacturing plant.”

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Here's an excerpt from an article from Ski Doo's website that talked about their manufacturing process:

“In the June/July period, the plant will build a first run of every model offered,” Courtemanche explained. “These units are for the customers that purchased in the spring and also so that each dealer receives part of their order. Typically at least one model (except for certain seds, like the MXZx 600RS race sled) will be built three times during the year. The first build in June/July, the second in September/October and the 3rd in November/December. The dealer tells us when they need the unit. This production schedule works well for the dealers and customers, as well as the manufacturing plant.”

I imagine 3 deliveries is a good way to free up cash flow and potentially divert risk to the manufacturers in order to help the dealer out. They probably have decent dating on their terms so hopefully they will be able to sell snowmobiles before they have to pay BRP for them. I also imagine dealers are sending forecasts to dealers but may have an opportunity to take a reduced number of sleds if the season goes worse than what was expected. Curious as to how this is a benefit for the manufacturer. Are they able to adjust volume based on the season as well?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Look at the other end, too - OEMs outsource many parts - the staging provides suppliers and QA the opportunity to refine current ECOs and address additional changes and vendor delivery requirements, improve line changeovers and productivity, minimize raw and WIP inventories, take delivery pressure off of vendors, and test product and calibrations. Avoids getting stuck with the first batch of non-conforming parts, first-time assembly or calibration issues at the end of the production season.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008

Curious as to how this works well for the customers.

Last edited:
Premium Features