• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2020 Expert. What are the must do's before riding?

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
Picking up my new expert today. What are the must do's before riding? Have the clutch alignment issues been resolved or is that still a thing in these new machines? After the MUST do, what are some things you suggest?

Thanks

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
There really isn’t much that is a “must do” despite “The Internet saying so..”

Might make sure you have a couple link brackets to mount some sort of bag or gas can should you need one.

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
So there is no need to do the clutch alignment and motor mount shims, etc, etc? I found it crazy odd that right off the showroom floor you’d have to make those kinds of adjustments and have supposedly had to for 3 years?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
So there is no need to do the clutch alignment and motor mount shims, etc, etc? I found it crazy odd that right off the showroom floor you’d have to make those kinds of adjustments and have supposedly had to for 3 years?
I put a clutch kit in, but it isn’t a must do. As far as all the alignment talk, I will if I see a problem with my sled. Someone mentioned getting extra vibration because of it. I don’t need any bad vibrations! ?

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
It’s ready to rock! Just go ride it. Suspension is were I invested, but it’s the best stock suspension on a summit yet, so just go ride. If any thing I would say a must have is the RPM composites economy skid plate to protect the chaincase and brake case then a good linq compatible bag.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Just ride it and enjoy it. Do what YOU feel is necessary.

You could fully clip the track, put better drivers on it, suspension, clutching, can, muff pot, etc. The list goes on and on.

Merry Christmas everyone and have a safe riding season.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Jumped ship from Cat today. Supposed to pick up a new 165 expert that came available tomorrow. Hopefully I don't regret it. Probably not though, I think any of the new sleds are a good choice

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Jumped ship from Cat today. Supposed to pick up a new 165 expert that came available tomorrow. Hopefully I don't regret it. Probably not though, I think any of the new sleds are a good choice
Wow I’m surprised! I thought that the Alpha was the Cat’s meow! ?

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Relax and enjoy your new sled as delivered, set the suspension to your preferences as you become familiar with the sled and have fun.

After my first 100 miles the only things needed were a slight drive chain adjustment and cleaning & adjusting clutch/belt.

You will find the Expert is very good right out of the box.

T
Aug 8, 2011
I disagree with the gear down. The expert is not being hard on belts and it’s pulling the gear it has in it in plenty of snow conditions. Gearing it down is going to reduce its performance. These things absolutely rip!! Go ride it and have fun

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Picked it up today, leaving it stock except an hps can.

I've been doing stage 2 and belt drives on my sleds in the past. I'll get it past break in mode and see how it compares to my built '17 mtn cat. My dad has a 2019 stock alpha and a 2002 hardcore alpha with a stage 2 kit so we will be able to get some really good side by side comparisons throughout the year. I honestly think any of the new sleds no matter what brand I would be happy with. I base mine upon the dealer and just happened upon a cancellation of an Expert and got lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Premium Features