• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2018 WR450F Or Yz450F

S
Dec 20, 2016
Looking to get into the sport and would like to know opinions on which 2018 Yamaha bike I should consider? I’m likely going to purchase a Camso 129 to go with it. I’ve read various things about the wider ratio transmissions not being great for Snowbikes, etc... I will likely also use the bike in the summer as a dual sport for motor home trips so I plan on adding the Baja designs kit too.

Is there really that big of a difference in building a yz vs a wr?

I’m hoping to get feedback from those that have ridden or owned both or have a close exposure to them. Any insight will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yz or wr

I have the yzfx. I'm not a fan of the wide ratio trans. I think the wr has same trans with less power. I will go with a close ratio, preferable a six speed, next time.

A
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park AB
If you are going to be using the bike in the summer for road/trail riding you have a choice of sacrafice to make. Are you willing to give up performance on the snow for comfort and manners on the road/trail, visa versa?

What kind of snow rider are you? If you are content getting out on the hill, doing some tractoring and exploring the WR will suit just fine and you will have a great time. If you are the motocross type that likes to get right after it the WR will leave you wanting more.

Is there a reason you have not considered the YZ450FX? I believe this would be the best balance for both of your applications. I'm a KTM guy but have spent quite a bit of time on dirt and snow on my buddy's FX. It wont beat the full moto bikes but hangs right in there close on the snow and at the track but has great ride-ability and manners for the road/trail.

Last edited:

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
The 2018 Yamaha YZ 450 is all new. Pretty sure the WR and FX are not.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
The only reason to go with an FX over an F from a snowbike standpoint is electric start on the fx, no in 2018 that is not an issue anymore, If you dont care about what the bike is like in the summer and price does not matter i doubt many will be picking a 2018 FX over an F for a sno bike, plus the app tuner would be really helpful

S
Dec 20, 2016
Pulled the trigger

Ended up getting a 2017 crf450rx for a great deal. Will be getting it ready for snow now. Now what track system? Trying to decide between Timbersled or Camso.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ended up getting a 2017 crf450rx for a great deal. Will be getting it ready for snow now. Now what track system? Trying to decide between Timbersled or Camso.

What riding style do you have?

Hard and fast mx style? (Timbersled)

Laid back exploring? (Camso)

Very general opinions from reading reviews

Premium Features