• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Neutered Dog

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Who all has had their dogs balls cut off? We have an 9 month old and we are tryibg to decide. He is very rowdy in the house and he needs to calm down some. Do dogs really mellow out when they lose the nuts?

O
Dec 2, 2007
Spokane, WA/Bozeman, MT
We neutered one of our aggressive and pushy ridgeback pups this summer and while it didn't calm him down much right away, it kept him from getting worse. Now, 3 months later, he has grown noticeably more calm.

R

RMK7SledHead

Oct 20, 2001
I feel its subjective, but that in some way it does help. It definitely is NOT an overnight cure.

My dog was 5 (I think) and was getting pretty vicarious with his wondering around...so, I had him cut. About a year later, he was much more mild mannered and all-in-all a better dog. He was already an awesome hunter, but he got better after being cut...not sure about the connection there...probably just coincidence/age.

My buddy just had his dog cut. He was almost 3, and his "new" wife got tired of him getting out and roaming the town while my buddy was out of town hunting...so, she took him in and when he got home, his prize shorthair would never be a stud. lol. I guess never even mention to a woman that you might have your dog cut someday...she'll just go do it!

All said, if you don't plan on ever having him bread, do it...it doesn't hurt anything, and can only help.

W
Nov 27, 2007
Don't do it expecting him to calm down from it. All dogs react differently to it. Yours may not calm down. If you're not going to breed him, I would have it done for that reason and hope he calms down as well.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Baby boy was just neutered today. Poor guy is lying on the floor whining.

He was starting to show aggressive behavior, and I asked several people about this. I was told by all but 1 person that neutering would be best for him. He's 2 years old and 76#.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
If you aren't going to breed him, imo all pets should be spayed/neuter...helps control the pet population. My last dog was neutered, and my current 2 dogs are spayed.

copter6

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I had my dogs balls cut off at the age of 6 months. The only downside I see to it is that I think It may have been done too early because he only lifts his leg to pee about 1/2 the time. Not sure that is a problem though!

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
My lab was about 1 ½ when I got him cut. He has always been a pretty well mannered dog, but he was pretty obnoxious around my boy who was 18 mo. On top of that he was running off the acreage on a daily basis visiting all the other farms with dogs, and it had to stop. Once he got cut, he quit running off…now only bolts if he hears the blast from a shotgun (thinks he can go hunting). I have noticed he is much more obedient and all around a little more mellow. It was a good change for him.

A

aksnomachinechic

Nov 11, 2006
Gr8st Plce; ALASKA!
www.facebook.com
Who all has had their dogs balls cut off? We have an 9 month old and we are tryibg to decide. He is very rowdy in the house and he needs to calm down some. Do dogs really mellow out when they lose the nuts?

Some things to consider
1. remember he is still very much a puppy
2. neutering will help over time
3. obedience training will do wonders too
4. exercising the dog for at least an hour daily will also help.

Good luck!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Baby boy was just neutered today. Poor guy is lying on the floor whining.

He was starting to show aggressive behavior, and I asked several people about this. I was told by all but 1 person that neutering would be best for him. He's 2 years old and 76#.

my 5 yr old female goes in in a few weeks...
blacktruck049.jpg

blacktruck046.jpg

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Nice GSD AKSnow. Did you get her from a breeder up north?

My female was put down at 5 years, she got a cancer which acts the same as lukemia. It was the hardest thing I ever did.
Here's poor Zella
4076770982_323a65f299.jpg

And here's the 2 year old boy now a few pounds lighter.
4076061761_4388a56d8f.jpg

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
beautiful dogs, Sorry you lost Zella, Mariah came from selah shepards in west virginia...normally she has a 2-3 year wait to get her dogs..mariah is very small for an old world shepard at 85 pds(when she was 9 months old she got an infection that took the doctors about 2 months to figure out..she went from 86 pds down to 62..she gained back what she lost but thats all(she was expected to go 100-130 pds which is normal for the breed)she is an awesome dog..very very very smart, very protective of the kids , and totally aware of everything going on around her..I thought long and hard about breeding her..but finally decided it was best not to..(just dont have the time needed to do it right)her police/security dog ancestery really shows,and of all the shepards I have had she is by far the best one....she is both my first female and my first long hair..I will say....a female is a female is a female...lol her long coat looks great but man is it work keeping up on it......

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I had a client who got a pup from Seleh shepherds. She was HUGE, big boned, and just kept growing. Knowing the breed, it was fun to watch her grow.
Izzo came from www.klgsd.com in Montana. He's the European bloodline and will be in the 80#-90# range once he puts his adult weight on. Very obedient, but very stubborn when he gets out on his own. He lives to please me, so hopefully the neuter will keep him in a state where he doesn't want to take of by himself.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I love all dogs (I even like the little ones). I'm just partial to the GSD breed, and like to see other people with them.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I had a client who got a pup from Seleh shepherds. She was HUGE, big boned, and just kept growing. Knowing the breed, it was fun to watch her grow.
Izzo came from www.klgsd.com in Montana. He's the European bloodline and will be in the 80#-90# range once he puts his adult weight on. Very obedient, but very stubborn when he gets out on his own. He lives to please me, so hopefully the neuter will keep him in a state where he doesn't want to take of by himself.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I love all dogs (I even like the little ones). I'm just partial to the GSD breed, and like to see other people with them.

all in all it has worked out good..her size is perfect another 40-50 pds and she would be able to pin me when we get playin hard(and she could do it now I bet)...I too love all dogs..and am sorry for hijacking the thread......:D:beer;:beer;

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I had my dogs balls cut off at the age of 6 months. The only downside I see to it is that I think It may have been done too early because he only lifts his leg to pee about 1/2 the time. Not sure that is a problem though!

I had our pup done at 4 1/2 months, and though the vet said to keep him quiet for 10 days.....he never had any idea anything went on. Extremely hard to keep him low key. He just went about life like nothing had changed. At 10 months and 100+ lbs, he doesn't lift his leg either. I LIKE it that way! :)

Neutering will help calm a dog. Yours is still a pup, so he'll still have energy, and as said, you won't see an immediate difference. Where you see the most difference is as he grows into an adult. If he's hyper now, and allowed to stay intact, he's going to get even worse as he grows into adulthood.

Neutering, especially when the dog is under a year old, is the best preventative measures against dog prostate/testicular issues/cancers.

Why are male puppies neutered?

We recommend neutering to prevent cancer, prostate problems, and behavioral problems.

Neutering prevents testicular cancer. Neutering also prevents perianal adenomas (tumors near the anus) and perineal hernias (hernias near the anus).

Neutering prevents prostatic cancer and other prostatic diseases. Most intact male dogs will have enlarged prostates as they age. As the prostate enlarges, a male experiences pain and difficulty to urinate, blood in the urine, constipation, and difficulty walking. Prostatic cancer usually carries a very poor prognosis.

With his highly developed sense of smell, a male dog can detect a female in heat from great distances. Nervousness and irritability are common. He may become aggressive or he may become less responsive to his guardian. If possible he will try to follow his sexual instincts and roam. Thus the chance of car accidents and fights with other males increases. He will urinate on every object to mark his territory. He may even begin urinating inside the house despite adequate training.

What are the effects of neutering?

The level of the male hormone testosterone, which produces masculine characteristics, declines rapidly after neutering. Aggressiveness towards other dogs should decrease, attention to guardian should increase.

Neutered male dogs stay closer to home, they do not seek out females in heat. Roaming and fighting decline, thus there will be fewer injuries.

A neutered dog has fewer medical problems, lives longer on the average, does not add to the pet overpopulation problem, and makes a more loving and rewarding pet.

L

LADYREV800

Dec 1, 2007
MT2AK
You both have beautiful dogs. Here is my GSD that I got when she was 9 months old. She was already spayed when I got her which is a good thing as I don't need any sled dog/german shephard crosses. Sorry for hijackin the thread

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
My Shepherd, Jax. Don't let the picture fool you. Cutting off his boys didn't calm him down a bit!

IMG_0004.jpg

Premium Features