• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some new riding partners in SW colorado

The family and I just relocated to Montrose/Ridgway from Eagle County, and I need some new riding buddies.

Mid thirties, experienced rider, on an axys, with lots of backcountry experience. Prefer tech trees over anything else........

Anyone want to meet up for a Grand Mesa, Owl Creek or San Juans proper day let me know. I can ride most Sundays and into the midweek timeframe.

T
Oct 16, 2019
Hey FarmerVanny,
I'm looking for new people to ride with as well. I live in TX now but plan to ride in Southern Colorado this season a fair amount. I too am in my 30s, have a new Axys sled and am experienced. Let me know if you are still looking for more people to ride with. Thanks.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Vanny, If you love the techy trees look me up. We ride Owl Creek almost exclusively. We have a crew of about 10 regulars of which I usually get 3-6 takers on the weekends. Sundays are good for me as well. Conditions permitting we also ride Red Mtn Pass area, usually in the spring unless Red Gets a good early dump! All experienced riders, most of them on Doo's but, we ride with them anyway.... If you want to ride the Mesa, stop in and see Jeff at Thunder Mtn Lodge, nice guy, good rider, can show you the goods up there.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Kicked off the new season on Friday! Trying to get a couple peeps to ride with me today in the storm...

IMG_1780.jpgIMG_1780.jpgIMG_1784.jpg

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Looks good big10. I hit the Mesa Friday and it definitely needs more snow. That shot from around Ridgeway?

Went to snowmass yesterday and seemed like there wasn't a whole lot around there either.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Hey, I will be in CO on the 30th and 31st of this month. Interested in meeting up to ride? I can meet you wherever you want to go.

Almost always up for a ride. Riding out of Ridgway for sure. As long as I don't have something pressing, I am up to ride.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Looks good big10. I hit the Mesa Friday and it definitely needs more snow. That shot from around Ridgeway?

Went to snowmass yesterday and seemed like there wasn't a whole lot around there either.

I think it all could use some more snow. After this last storm we should have around 4 feet on the ground. We have been riding off trail but you have to be careful, lots of stuff to hit still right there under the snow! I would like another 2 feet before we pronounce it ready. That wont keep me from riding it though.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
If you're looking to ride SW CO, I'd recommend joining two clubs, the Silverton club, and the San Juan Sledders out of Durango. Both clubs have quite a few rides, both weekends and mid-week. They also provide a CSA membership with club membership, which gets you a newsletter, a small insurance policy, and access to grooming reports on the CSA site.

San Juan Sledders are considering a couple of lodge trips this year too, which we haven't done in quite a while.

And all you sledders who don't belong to clubs should seriously consider changing your lazy ways. Local clubs fight constantly for YOUR right to ride as well as theirs, and so many people refuse to part with just a few dollars that make a huge difference to these organizations...

Off my soapbox, I'm down here in Mancos. Give a shout if you're coming this way, I'll ride with you if I can get free of work...

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I do not EVER want to be accused of being lazy for not being part of the club. I started a club, ran a club, worked directly with CSA and I would have to vehemently disagree with the value of a membership. The club is prone to compromise which means we lose riding areas. The current club does not seem to have ANY clue what it takes to save our lands. recent comments on our forest revision dispensed by CSA were HORRIFFIC, OFF TOPIC, NONESENSE. I frankly would be embarrassed to say they represent me. They are NOT saving your riding areas, they are slowly letting them go through compromises. The grooming program in my area is a complete joke most winters. The club breaks the groomer, fights over who's fault it is and trails still are not groomed this season even though there is 4 feet of snow on the road. I think the club does more harm than good to our sport. Just my experiences with CSA over the last 15 years....

Two sides to every soapbox.

M
Jan 30, 2009
WI
I'm looking to ride the SW colorado area. I'm driving up from southern arizona so don't have anyone to go with. Looking to do MLK day weekend January 18-20 or around then. Also Presidents day weekend February 15-17. I may try and do some other weekends too. Anybody looking for someone to go with?

Premium Features