• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

need some info

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I'm looking for a Ruger 357. Big enough to take down a cat or bear, but small enough to stay light.

There has been some major cat activity in the area I hunt elk and I need to start looking around. If you can help, PM me.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
PJ~~ just my .02 here but i would recommend a 44mag, the 357 will do the cat and really piss the bear off!! I have both guns and through my experience with both cats and bears i would really suggest at least looking at the 44mag!

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
OR IF YOUR TUFF A .454 CASULL KILLS REAL NICE ( BUT HURTS YOUR HANDS ) HOLDS SAME POWDER CHARGE A 30.06 HOLDS , AND THERE GOOD ON ELK TO ABOUT 100 YARDS..

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
Not Ruger's but I have a model 60 S&W 357 mag that's small and fairly light. Easy to carry. A bit on the small side but a nice revolver.
Then I also have a model 239pd S&W 44 mag. It's very light for a 44 mag.. 25 oz. or something like that. Again easy to carry, has ample knock down power when needed, and fun to shoot.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Not Ruger's but I have a model 60 S&W 357 mag that's small and fairly light. Easy to carry. A bit on the small side but a nice revolver.
Then I also have a model 239pd S&W 44 mag. It's very light for a 44 mag.. 25 oz. or something like that. Again easy to carry, has ample knock down power when needed, and fun to shoot.

Know anybody selling either?

Just need something small (ish) that will conceal under a jacket. CDOW doesn't allow bowhunters to carry but I don't think I can nock an arrow and shoot fast enough to stop a cat. Bears, not so worried about unless I stumble on one owning a carcass. Don't need a gun to kill an elk, I do just fine with sticks ;)

WestMont

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Florence, Mt.
I don't know anyone that has one for sale outside of having to buy new. They are a bit pricey but worth it imo.
I wouldn't be afraid to carry the 357 if you're using it for bow hunting. It's small, lightweight, and easy to carry. If you wanted lighter yet you could check out the model 360pd. It weighs in at just over 11 oz. and made from the same materials (scandium alloy frame and titanium alloy cylinder) as my 44 mag.
Hope you find something that fits your needs. Never hurts to remind the wolves, cats, and bears that we're not part of their food chain.

B

broncoformudv

Mar 3, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
If you want light and easy to cary and put into action go with a Glock in 10mm it has as much if not more knockdown power as a 357 and carries a lot easier. You can load your own ammo or buy some good Double Tap Hard Cast. Don't use hollow points get something that will penetrate. That load and caliber will kill any cat or bear you are going to run into with no issues at all.

If you want a wheel gun Taurus makes a nice little .45 Colt in titanium or some other ultra light metal that you hardly notice. Smith also makes some nice airweight or ultralight wheel guns in both .357 mag and .44 mag that are great guns.

Last edited:
Premium Features