• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice. 2 new sleds. Newbie

sleddin pete

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Summit County Colorado
Good info from Jaynelson
Don't beat on it from first start, watch temp gauge constantly, always warm it up to 125 (when the thermostat opens) and ride easy for first couple minutes. Scratchers down for anything less than 3" fresh.140ish+ start looking for loose snow on side of trail, spinning track to get snow to cooler under tunnel.
They'll all blow up eventually. If you beat the Sh*t out of them from cold, it will just happens faster.

Look me up this season, the wife and I and our friends ride the ears midweek ,usually Monday/Tuesday. We ride to our group level.

Pete

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
- Always run the ice scratches on anything resembling hard pack snow or a groomed trail. Your sliders will last longer, and less chance of overheating. Keep in mind, you need to ride fast enough for the scratchers to do their job.

This is especially important on the Axys chassis. The Axys cooling system is more efficient than the Pro Ride. Because of this, people often neglect to put down their scratchers. When the scratchers aren't down (when on the trail), hyfax wear is accelerated. I also believe it leads to premature wear on unclipped windows of the track when the rubber is super heated without ice spray from scratchers.

D

D7-Ryder

Dec 13, 2011
Lehi Utah
...and by contrast I have had HORRIBLE experiences with my last three Polaris sleds, a '13. '14 and a '16. The '14 had well over a dozen dealer visits to three different dealers before somebody was able to make it run correctly. My '16 needed a new motor at 1100 miles, new power valve cable and a new primary clutch. It is flat worn out after about 1.5 seasons of riding. Polaris customer service has been absolutely the worst ever, I am going back to Cat myself. I LOVE the way the Polaris rides, the quality and service is the worst in the industry, so no more of my hard earned cash for junk.

There are true stories ion BOTH sides of the coin, but you just go ahead and keep your head in the sand.

And the award for biggest douche goes too... RED MTN!!!! CONGRATULATIONS... YOU'RE A REAL A$$HOLE!!

D

D7-Ryder

Dec 13, 2011
Lehi Utah
Why the name calling? That's his experience!

Because it's the truth! You're exactly right, that's his experience! He's had his parade sh!t on, so in true douchey a$$hole fashion, he goes and sh!ts on someone else's!

It's no one else's fault that he decided to buy a Polaris and happened to be one of the unlucky ones... several times! Operator error most likely!

It was extremely unnecessary to come in here and comment in such a dick-ish way like he did.

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Congrats on your purchases Ry! You'll be absolutely hooked in now time on this great sport and you get to be right in the heart of great riding! In addition to the good maintenance tips, the biggest piece of advice I would have for rookies is work on your riding... every chance you get start with a small to medium hill and work on skills such as sidehilling, down hill turns to up hill on a slope, etc. Second is tree avoidance, closely related to skills but also has a lot to do with good decisions in terms of picking your line and leaving yourself a plan B. Youtube Brett Rasmussen for good videos on this. Lastly, make sure you got the right safety and protective gear plus emergency gear for those breakdowns or unforunate situations where Plan C, D, and E don't work and you are left with Plan F... be prepared and have fun!

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
Because it's the truth! You're exactly right, that's his experience! He's had his parade sh!t on, so in true douchey a$$hole fashion, he goes and sh!ts on someone else's!

It's no one else's fault that he decided to buy a Polaris and happened to be one of the unlucky ones... several times! Operator error most likely!

It was extremely unnecessary to come in here and comment in such a dick-ish way like he did.

Hey, I don't know what red mtn went through and I don't think you do either. Think what you want but possibly if you had the same experience you would act the same. Besides I think Murph took care of it.

Premium Features