• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help choosing a sled!

D
Oct 22, 2019
Hey everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a new sled this year and am undecided on which sled to go with. I currently have a 2003 rmk 800 that I enjoy but would like to move to a more modern chassis/suspension sled. I have ridden my buddies 2012 pro rmk 155” and loooove how it handles. Super easy to lean over and flick around. However I’ve heard bad things about the Polaris 800 engine around this year and can’t find many pro rmks in my area. I’ve road a few skidoo 800 summits, one a 2008 and the other an 09 and wasn’t a big fan of how they handled, seemed as though they were hard to turn. I’m hoping to stay under that 5k range for a used mountain sled. Any other sleds out there that feel similar to the pro rmk as far as handling goes? Open to any brand etc!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Id try to save a little more and pick up a 16 axys. Its better and more reliable than the early pro chassis. Imagine you could get a decent 16 for 6k

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

D
Oct 22, 2019
Yeah I’ve heard really good things about them as well, friend of mine has one but I’ve never rode it. I’ll keep an eye of for a decent priced axys in my travels as well

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hey everyone, I’m looking at purchasing a new sled this year and am undecided on which sled to go with.

I currently have a 2003 rmk 800 that I enjoy but would like to move to a more modern chassis/suspension sled.

I’m hoping to stay under that 5k range for a used mountain sled.
I will second the comment on saving a bit more.
When you hit the 6-7K range your going to be able to get a nearly new sled.
Shouldn't have much trouble at all in getting a 2016-2017.

And MAN-O-MAN what a change that is going to be from your 03 !!!

D
Oct 22, 2019
Yeah I was content with my rmk for awhile as it was my first sled, but a guy sure feels it trying to turn that tank lol, tires you out pretty quick. Might as well save up and get with something I’m gonna enjoy and stick with for awhile. Where I ride is mostly prairie land but I would like to make a trip to the mountains this year. Was thinking a track no longer than 154”?

jonathanlo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2018
Weiser, ID
The first sled I rode was an '01 RMK 700. A couple of years ago, I picked up a 16 AXYS RMK 800 155". I couldn't believe the difference between the two. I remember on the 01, if you stop in deep snow (even on flat), you'd bury it trying to go. With these new ones, you can stop even on a slight incline and get out of it alright.

If you go with Polaris, the 155 was great for me. I traded my 16 in for a '20 RMK 850 163".

FYI, I've seen AXYS RMKs around the Idaho area for about 6k. I'm sure you can find some with more miles for less.

Premium Features