• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need advice on getting full shift out

S
Dec 7, 2007
Deer Lodge Montana
I have been chasing clutching around all season on my turbo pro and have never been able to achieve full shift out. I have also had some belt slip in the primary. I'm thinking about going with less secondary spring and slightly less primary weight, hoping that I will hit the sweet spot. My setup now is 120/340 primary spring with 74 gram MDS weights. 140/240 secondary with 44/48/36 helix.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
So you're trying to hit 80mph? Have you marked the secondary as well to see how far down the belt is going there?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
It's impossible to get full shift out on the primary clutch so your going to have to be more specific on what you're asking

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Good..

So your not getting the last 1 1/4 out of it..

Either.. lower finish rate on springs.. or down some primary weight..

That's exactly what I was said... can't use the full sheave due to ratio mismatch vs secondary clutch

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Under what conditions are you checking for shift out? Are you getting proper RPM?
You will only get full shift when you also achieve close to your top speed as dictated by gearing/driver diameter.....like on a flat road, not on a climb.
One weakness in the Team secondary is being able to grip the belt at higher shift ratios, especially when you go to a reverse angle helix. If you are seeing black on the primary with this setup, my GUESS is the secondary is the majority of the slippage, making the belt hot and showing on the primary.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Need some more information...

Like was asked, how are you checking this like WB asked?

Then...so we have a turbo and given clutching however,

What gearing, drivers, track length/lug height AND

What altitude are you running...

Based on the limited info...I would say (and it's not always the popular choice with some) but given your current helix, I would increase your finish spring rate in the secondary.

I'm also surprised to see your starting spring rate with your primary. What's your engagement RPM? That seems lower than what most run with a turbo pro but maybe the MDS turbo weights compensate? No experience with those.

EDIT: Adding a link you might find helpful:

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330707

Last edited:
S
Dec 7, 2007
Deer Lodge Montana
I've tried higher engagement primary springs but can't stomach the slap into engagement. Since I posted I had a chance to talk to Steve at MDS and got a couple ideas from him. His suggestion is the springs are probably ok and wanted me to cchange primary weight and where the weight is distributed. He also said it would be unlikely to achieve full shift out in the mountains or climbing. He did say I would probably pick up more track speed just with different weight distribution.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Why do you think you need full shift out? I've never heard of anyone trying to achieve this when climbing/mountain riding is the focus. I think you will be past the sweet spot. Do you know how low you would have to be geared to be fully shifted at 8000RPM with 50-55mph track speed? Really low.

Premium Features