• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need advice on a nytro

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
Hey guys so I'm looking at buying my first boosted four stroke. But I was looking at trying to get a supercharged nytro preferably a stage 1 or 2. I don't really want the extra hassel or need the extra horsepower from a stage 3. But coming off of an older polaris 700 I was wondering what I should look for in a nytro. I also have no clue if if there little bugs with either certain sleds or superchargers and that might be important before I spend the money on one. Another question I had was the belt and clutch life on these beasts. I know the turbo I spent some time on (again a polaris) was very hard on belts and I was wondering if yammi's had the same problem. But any advice you guys might be able to give would be greatly appericated.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
There are some real nice set up boosted nitro's for sale right now. Supercharger has better low end response but the turbo runs awesome once the boost hits. Supercharger burns more fuel and will require a bit more tuning on the hill. I've ridden both. If you are spending your time in the trees then lean towards the supercharger. Open area and longer pulls will favor the turbo. Properly set up, they will not eat belts. heat kills belts.

Lots of the older Polaris sleds had too much spring pressure in the secondary and or the wrong helix.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Lots of Nytro posts/builds on this forum. If you spend a couple of hours you should be able to see what most of the popular mods are for each of the different model years. (eg look at Christopher's build/install threads for his Nytros)

I have found that the low boost kit (190hp) keeps me happy 99% of the time, like everyone else I wish it was about 100lbs lighter and had a normal sized fuel tank...

Mods on my 2012 (I kept things pretty simple)
- MPI snowcheck turbo w/homemade 'snorkel' intake
- OFT steering post relocate
- SKINZ a-arms
- SKINZ air frame boards
- Rotopax fuel and storage packs
- KOSO digital boost guage

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have ridden both a Supercharged and a TurboCharged Nytro.
Have posted extensively about both.

Personally, I liked the Supercharger better.:face-icon-small-hap
It just felt more like a larger engine all the time.

But I know a LOT of guys love the HARD HIT of the turbo.

NEVER had any issues with belts on my sleds.

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
Another thing to consider is the rear skid. More boost will push the limits of what the rear skid can control/ keep the front down. You will see lots of boosted sleds with aftermarket skids. I have ez-rydes on both my turbos and love them. I like the 190 hp kit idea and agree that in most cases it will be plenty. This will put you in the ballpark of power to weight category of the new ski-doo and Polaris sleds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Another thing to consider is the rear skid. More boost will push the limits of what the rear skid can control/ keep the front down. You will see lots of boosted sleds with aftermarket skids. I have ez-rydes on both my turbos and love them. I like the 190 hp kit idea and agree that in most cases it will be plenty. This will put you in the ballpark of power to weight category of the new ski-doo and Polaris sleds.

Until he crosses well over the 200hp mark, he won't need to worry about his skid.

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
I read a couple posts about the supercharger that Christopher posted. Those really pointed me towards the SC set up over a turbo. Plus I might make a trip to cook city but I really don't plan on going to the great white north so I shouldn't need the top end of a turbo set up. But here's another question for you guys. I just read that the clutches on a supercharger will need to be tuned on the mountain depending on the snow conditions. Light powder will cause over rev while wet heavy stuff will cause it too bog a little. Have you guys had to deal with this and is it normal thing to do with a SC. Thanks for all of the help so far.

1madbird

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
West Bountiful, Utah
I have an 08 nytro with a turbo. I cant speak for the SC but the Nytro with a turbo seems to be very forgiving with clutching. When you making 200 plus HP the difference is how high the skis come up. Also the secondary is a huge factor in the clutching. Every one was installing the shockwave which seemed to help with tuning.
My Turbo Nytro is for sale. PM if interested.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I read a couple posts about the supercharger that Christopher posted. Those really pointed me towards the SC set up over a turbo. Plus I might make a trip to cook city but I really don't plan on going to the great white north so I shouldn't need the top end of a turbo set up. But here's another question for you guys. I just read that the clutches on a supercharger will need to be tuned on the mountain depending on the snow conditions. Light powder will cause over rev while wet heavy stuff will cause it too bog a little. Have you guys had to deal with this and is it normal thing to do with a SC. Thanks for all of the help so far.

Depends on your clutching setup. Correctly set secondary clutch will adjust from pavement to ice, secondary setup by a well known vendor who puts stiff springs in his secondary's means ALOT of tuning. My Stage 2 supercharged Nytro never needed clutch changes from spring riding to 3 feet deep powder

R

rmkid900

Nov 7, 2012
Laramie Wyoming
Alright so first thing thanks for all of the advice guys I really appreciate it. So after spending a lot of time reading through a lot of stuff I did decide on a low boost super charger and I have a couple ideas for the clutching. But next weekend I should be picking the sled up. Thanks again.

20161022_113400.jpg

Premium Features