• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Neck Brace Compliant Jacket

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
I got hammered in the upper chest by my bars and bruised my collar bone/sternum and got some pretty good wiplash.

I decided it was time for a high quality chest protector and neckbrace combo. I bought the Alpine stars A-10 and BNS brace. Very nice fitting and comfortable.

I see there are a few jackets made by Leatt and a nice one from Scott. Does anyone know of other good jackets or a good way to make a jacket fit well besides just wearing the protection over a jacket.

Thanks

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’ve been in a Leatte brace since 2012 after a fusion.
My choice is a coat (currently hmk) with a 4” straight up collar, then fit the brace over that.
The collar keeps friction from the brace off your neck and chin.
I can quickly remove it when stuck or sitting around.
Trying to put it under you’re coat is obnoxious and was very claustrophobic for me. I wanted to rip my own head off occasionally when it would catch or bind in the coat.

Mines set so I can clamp it, then slide it on over my head, but has to unclamp to be removed. Clamping on can be near impossible in the cold.

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
Yeah over the coat would be fine but it won't fit with the chest protector as well unless where it on the outside as well.

There are jackets made with a removable from neck piece to allow more room for the brace. The problem is finding a cold weather one. Klim makes one that is about $400. Hoping for more options.

You're route sounds pretty good though.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My chest protector fit under, then jacket, then brace over.
I’ve tried on three of the brace specific coats and all felt really awkward.
I’d lose my mind if I had to zip my both in/around my coat!

My wife hooked a gate toprail Friday and cracked two ribs on the bars.
Had all six kids with us so she left her chest protection at the cabin thinking easy ride. Sure makes for an unfriendly weekend.?

Never know when an abrupt stop is coming.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Check out the ARC backcountry jacket. I ordered one for Rocky ATV/MC. It is neck brace compatible.
I haven't used mine for snow yet but I think it'll work pretty good. Made of decent cordura and I'm sure would last longer than my Goretex shell that is full of holes from tree riding lol.
Also not to expensive.
I use mine on dirt in fall and early spring. It is very waterproof and Ive been impressed multiple times.

Premium Features