• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NCAA Wrestling tourney right now...CHECK OUT THE ONE-LEGGED KID....

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Been following him since he was a high school senior.
Anthony Robles from Arizona State only has one leg.
In a sport where you need every bit of help for balance and body control...this guy knows how to compensate. WOW.
He makes the national semifinals for tonight. WHAT A STUD.

Good example for all the whiners in this country. Get the job done and quite whining. Nobody is going to try to make life easy for you...unless you are a democrat. LOL

030309_wrestling_WEB_0.jpg

340x.jpg

ncaa_robles.jpg

ncaa_roblesortiz_200.jpg

BTW, let's fricken GO Hawkeyes. What's the deal?

And our Boy, Tyrell Todd from Bozeman, Montana going for the big one for Michigan. He was 3rd last year and 4th at the Olympic Trials. I hung out with Tyrell where he was the clinician at a camp last summer. What a freakin beast. Let's go Tyrell!!!!!!!!!

Surprising Ohio State storms into lead at NCAA Championships

Craig Sesker USA Wrestling
03/20/2009

ST. LOUIS – Not many people were expecting this.

The top-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes have been the nation’s dominant team all season. But that has changed during a wild weekend at the NCAA Wrestling Championships.

Iowa still is in solid position to repeat its title from 2008, but the team race is much tighter than expected following the quarterfinal round on Friday before 15,632 fans at the Scottrade Center.

Entering Friday night’s semifinals, sixth-ranked Ohio State is the tournament’s surprise leader with 61.5 points and four in the semifinals. No. 3 Iowa State is next with 57.5 points and three in the semis. No. 4 Nebraska is third with 54 points and four in the semis. No. 1 Iowa is fourth with 53.5 points and two in the semis.

Ohio State’s highest finish in this event was second place in 2008.

The Buckeyes’ semifinalists include returning NCAA champions J Jaggers (141) and Mike Pucillo (184) along Reece Humphrey (133) and Lance Palmer (149).

“We had some great performances and we won some close matches,” Ohio State coach Tom Ryan said. “It’s going to come down to the semifinals and if we can come through we can win the first national title for Ohio State. This is a very exciting place to be for this program. We know Iowa and Iowa State have a lot of guys in the wrestlebacks.

“We just have to control what we can control, and that’s putting our guys in the finals. Our team has wrestled well all year long. We knew we were capable of this type of performance.”

Iowa State has semifinalists in Jon Reader (165), Jake Varner (197), David Zabriskie (285). Iowa has semifinalists in returning NCAA champion and Hodge Trophy winner Brent Metcalf (149) along with Ryan Morningstar (165).

Iowa pulled out a key head-to-head match with Ohio State at 157 pounds when the third-seeded Morningstar shot in for a takedown to earn a 4-2 overtime win over No. 6 Colt Sponseller of Ohio State.

Morningstar rode Sponseller out in the final period, but was penalized twice on one-point stalling calls as regulation ended in a 2-2 deadlock. Morningstar then shot in on single and finished for a takedown near the edge of the mat to set off a huge roar from the Iowa fans in attendance.

“It was real important for the team race,” Morningstar said. “It was exciting to be able to pull that out. I don’t agree with those stalling calls and I don’t know if the refs are out to get us or what. I just had to keep working and I pulled it out.”

Nebraska’s run has been led by its quartet of Jordan Burroughs (157), Brandon Browne (174), Vince Jones (184) and Craig Brester (197).

The third-seeded Browne placed fourth last year after falling in overtime in the semifinals. He will battle No. 7 seed Mike Miller of Central Michigan in the semis. Browne beat Miller earlier this year.

“The experience from being in the semifinals last year, I’m going to use that to my advantage tonight,” Browne said. “I’ve been in this situation before and I know I can get the job done this time. I can’t wait to get back out there and wrestle.”

Browne, fourth in this event last year, won the Big 12 title just two weeks after his mother died of a heart attack. This is his final NCAA meet.

“I know I am capable of beating any of the guys in this weight class,” he said. “I just have to go out and wrestle my match. I know I can do it.”

One of the most anticipated semifinal matches will come at 125 when 2007 NCAA champion Paul Donahoe of Edinboro meets No. 12 seed Anthony Robles of Arizona State. Robles, born with only one leg, already has knocked off the No. 5 and No. 4 seeds in this tournament.

Donahoe transferred to Edinboro this year after placing first and third for Nebraska in this event.

Friday night’s semifinal matchups

125 pounds
1-Paul Donahoe (Edinboro) vs. 12-Anthony Robles (Arizona State)
3-Angel Escobedo (Indiana) vs. 2-Troy Nickerson (Cornell)

133 pounds
1-Franklin Gomez (Michigan State) vs. 5-Andrew Hochstrasser (Boise State)
6-Jayson Ness (Minnesota) vs. 2-Reece Humphrey (Ohio State)

141 pounds
8-Ryan Williams (Old Dominion) vs. Alex Krom (Maryland)
3-J Jaggers (Ohio State) vs. 7-Chris Drouin (Arizona State)

149 pounds
1-Brent Metcalf (Iowa) vs. 4-Lance Palmer (Ohio State)
3-Darrion Caldwell (North Carolina State) vs. 7-Bryce Saddoris (Navy)

157 pounds
1-Jordan Burroughs (Nebraska) vs. 4-Gregor Gillespie (Edinboro)
2-Mike Poeta (Illinois) vs. 3-Jordan Leen (Cornell)

165 pounds
8-Jon Reader (Iowa State) vs. 12-Jarrod King (Edinboro)
3-Ryan Morningstar (Iowa) vs. 2-Andrew Howe (Wisconsin)

174 pounds
1-Steve Luke (Michigan) vs. 5-Raymond Jordan (Missouri)
3-Brandon Browne (Nebraska) vs. 7-Mike Miller (Central Michigan)

184 pounds
1-Jake Herbert (Northwestern) vs. 12-Vince Jones (Nebraska)
3-Mike Pucillo (Ohio State) vs. 7-Doug Umbehauer (Rider)

197 pounds
1-Craig Brester (Nebraska) vs. 4-Tyrell Todd (Michigan) BOZEMAN MONTANA
6-Max Askren (Missouri) vs. 2-Jake Varner (Iowa State)

285 pounds
1-David Zabriskie (Iowa State) vs. 5-Konrad Dudziak (Duke)
3-Jermail Porter (Kent State) vs. 2-Mark Ellis (Missouri)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
what channel??????????

all i can find is a bunch of pumpkin pushing

Man that sucks....they are doing consolation rounds right now, so he's not on TV. It will be on TV tonight though. I think it's on ESPN networks. Probably ESPN-U.

When I know what time Semis start I'll post it.

Montana bred Tyrell Todd:
From a Michigan vs Oregon State in Bozeman, MT on Jan 2nd.
000todd_thumb.jpg

I've seen him run this jack knife in every match I've watched.
tyreltodd2.jpg

He's got a LOT of pins this year. High percentage.
_wsb_470x315_Russell_Jaggers.jpg

todd-123108_300.jpg

Last edited:
D

decarls

Nov 26, 2007
Brainerd, Mn
That is an awsome story. I have an uncle that wrestled a one legged guy back in high school in the 60's. Said he shot for a single and there was nothing there!

I see Brent Metcalf from Iowa is still going strong. I don't know how anyone can beat that guy. He absolutely embarrases people.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Metcalf is a BEAST!!!!!!!! He's better in the 3rd period than most guys are in the 1st.

BTW, for anyone who's interested...BIG college wrestling event in Montana next January at Montana State Campus in Boze.

Tentatively coming for round robin duals:
Boise State
Arizona State
Wyoming
Minnesota
Iowa

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Cool stuff...that's determination.

Sounds like BSU is doing OK this year...should go watch them.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
No, it's a 3 day event I think.

BTW, the Semis are on ESPN 2 right NOW and Robles/Donahoe is scoreless in the 1st period.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Robles earns respect big time.

Tyrell couldn't put it together. Nice job though, dude. Hope to see you again at camp this summer.

Fricken Metcalf's final at 149 was not good for him. He didn't get it together but he did NOT deserve an unsportsmanlike pentaly against his team.

That's BS!!!!!!!! The match was not over and he was still wrestling. That showboating SOB from NC State is doing backflips across the mat and Metcalf stays with him. It's just that the ****in blackflip hit Metcalf in teh chest and Metcalf is called for pushing him off the mat. B-fricken-S!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway....good for Iowa to cinch that up. WHAT a tight one. A 1/2 point win. WOW!!!!!!!

Premium Features