• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

N/A Phazer Performance

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Been looking for a sled for quite awhile (2 years).
I have been riding a Nytro MTX from my dads dealership and would like my own personal sled.
I have been thinking a turbo Phazer but can't afford to build one up, so heres the question.
Would a Phazer with the right aftermarket options (track, suspension, exhaust, fuel controller, intake, etc.) be a good backcountry sled?
I do alot of tree riding and open meadows. Don't ride much trail.
I would like to hear from people that have ridden/ridden with a N/A Phazer.

Thanks

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have ridden with them and on them...they really do underperform N/A....boosted they are decent...the guys up in these parts fell out of favour with the phazer feally quick..the all went with the nytro or other brands..

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We tried one out (n/a) in the snowy's two winters ago thinking that it might be a good sled for my 60 year old mom who mainly rides the trails and logging roads around the cabin. She will also ride the easier boondock areas that do not require any extreme riding to get to.

She ended up with a 2012 Nytro.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I did a up my n/a phazer, carbon exhaust, changed fueling on stock ecu, changed suspension springs, works awesome for boondocking except not gonna get far once it starts to get slightly steep, also it took me 2 seasons to figure out how to feather the throttle properly to avoid easy stucks, throttle control makes a huge difference in how far you go up the hill, that 500 doesn't make track speed but makes enough torque that it spins down easy, if your intermediate or advanced go nytro, I loved my phazer so fun but I will keep one as a spare for fun days, to weak for challenging terrain

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
if you think you will be able to boondock in deep powder with the phazer think again. it gets stuck very easy in deep snow with only 80hp and the 13" wide track. its a great sled for trails and set up snow. great fuel mileage and reliability. electric start, reverse, very quiet, and no 2 stroke smell make it a great sled for your girlfriend or wife.

as for boosting one, even after you are boosted you will still only have 140ish horsepower so you might as well put the same money on a nytro and have 200+hp

Last edited:
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
So it sounds like I would be wasting my time/money to build one up and would be better off with a nytro.
They have the right idea with the sled in my opinion. If only it had 120hp stock and a 15" wide track....

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Phazer

I have ridden both a N/A Phazer and turbo phazer. I have ridden with stock nytro's and boosted nytros. I have also spent the better part of a day on a 220hp supercharged nytro. I have witnessed one of the above do some spectacular things that is contradictory to what some will say or think. I've told you all this before so I'm sure you recall. You mentioned changing the track. I would love to see someone who can notice the difference between the cut down version and a 15" wide track. Also bombing around in meadows and hitting little booters with the lighter more MX inspired phazer is so much more fun than on a nytro. When tree riding like you mentioned I also appreciate the sculpted body work on the phazer, the nytro well... that girl has got some hips. Another advantage to the phazer is its lighter. Having the pleasure of digging both of them out I can tell you I'll take the lighter one each and every time.

In closing I hope this makes you think a little harder about your choice. When ridden appropriately the Phazer is not just your mom, girlfriends, grandma, sisters, or uncles friend’s nephews little girls sled. (140hp at boost is more than any na stock 800cc two stoke makes at elevation.) (Yikes did I just say two stroke in a Yamaha forum...pretend it's a triple or quad) Any sled would be great but based on my observations one is a more fun choice.

In second closing if all else fails read last year’s four stroke shoot out in Snowest. The Phazer was voted the best boondocking 4 stroke, I believe.

Okay bye...

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Not sure where you are riding but I don't think its super light deep powder. I own a 2007 phazer mtn lite (spare) and i can tell you from first hand experience that it sucks bad in deep snow. Last year i took it out in 2 feet + of fresh and the instant i went off the trail in the fluff it would sink like a boat anchor, and buried. Again, not enough power and not enough track to get it on top of the snow. And without a doubt i notice a huge difference in flotation (lack of) with the narrow track compared to a 15" wide. simple physics.

Again, in set up snow or on the trail its a great sled. It is a blast to ride down the trail, and makes things a challenge when the snow is set up

boosted im sure its better, but its still only 140 hp for a $5000+ turbo kit.

Last edited:
S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Riding grounds were northwestern co.
I think you may have misunderstood the track comment.Between the stock maverick and say 15 challenger yes big difference but if changing out the track like mentioned to say a 153 cut to14.5. That .5 is hard to tell. They seem to do really well in this configuration.

Last edited:
Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
photobucket-8506-1344633882675.jpg

Enough said....

Last edited:
S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
I get it a metaphor.

See Goose wants you to get a phazer too. Either that or he agrees with keeping up foreign relations and buying from Japan.

Last edited:
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Couger and Maverick,
I am considering and always have been considering a Phazer. I just wanted to see other peoples opinions.
Apparently they would rather have a under powered over weight Nytro than a lighter weight, turbo 4-stroke inspired by the mx bikes.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
The phazer is a fun little sled to ride, but yes it lacks serious horsepower.

If you want N/A and you have a moderate budget, then build yourself a non-turbo nypex. A stock apex motor in a very lightened nytro chassis would be fun. You can easily get that sled down to 550lbs wet with 110 to 150hp depending on elevation. Even lighter if you have the budget.

The phazer has an estimated dry weight of 515lbs with 45 to 80 hp depending on elevation. Add oil, antifreeze and fuel---well your probably close to that 550lbs.

its all money ---right.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
Couger and Maverick,
I am considering and always have been considering a Phazer. I just wanted to see other peoples opinions.
Apparently they would rather have a under powered over weight Nytro than a lighter weight, turbo 4-stroke inspired by the mx bikes.

pm me, my 2007 mtn lite is for sale i will make you a good deal on it.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Phazers have been selling for under 4 k. Too me that's wicked bang for the buck, if it were me on a student budget, buy a phazer have a $h!t ton of fun. I could toss mine around just easy as my pro rmk, then in a year or two either sell and upgrade or buy a used turbo or super kit and double your fun and still be under 7g invested into your sled. And once you learn to ride that phazer in deep snow boondocking, which it can done once you learn to be light on the throttle, those skills will make you way more advanced on a heavier or more powerful sled since you will be used to doing manuvers with less HP on tap. That's my 2 cents and that's what worked for me.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
The phazer is a fun little sled to ride, but yes it lacks serious horsepower.

If you want N/A and you have a moderate budget, then build yourself a non-turbo nypex. A stock apex motor in a very lightened nytro chassis would be fun. You can easily get that sled down to 550lbs wet with 110 to 150hp depending on elevation. Even lighter if you have the budget.

The phazer has an estimated dry weight of 515lbs with 45 to 80 hp depending on elevation. Add oil, antifreeze and fuel---well your probably close to that 550lbs.

its all money ---right.

Whats a moderate budget???
I have been looking for Phazer MTX for my son, but am thinking about
getting another Nytro instead maybe a newer one for me.
would really like a rear mount turbo, would a nypex be cheaper??

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Nypex is not cost effective and is pointless unless you want the nytro with all day 300 plus HP which is where the apex motor shines and some of us just wouldn't give up that 4 banger for anything. Nypex sleds are labour and cost intensive

The phazer is good for young riders and those on a budget but on the flipside you won't outgrow a nytro, phazers are super fun but eventually everyone wants more power, turbos aren't everyone's cup of tea so it makes more sense to go to a nytro if you can afford it, if phazers could make 200hp and the block held up, I would still be on one garunteed.

Last edited:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Lets ask someone who has built a Nypex! How much work is involved with building one without a turbo system---whats your opinion?

Labor intensive and cost is relative. It comes down to talent, desire and some money.

Seriously, someone chime in about a N/A nypex!!

I'll give you all a good start:

2010 Nytro SE 162 with a blown motor. However, you have a complete apex motor w/ all electronics, injection system, exhaust etc. sitting in the corner of your little shop--everything needed to make it run---except a sled.

Whats it gonna take?

Any takers?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Well I will chime in since I have a nypex in progress In my garage,if I were to buy a complete nytro sans engine, I would have to do teardown for chassis modifaction to accept engine, swap and modify apex harness, prolly use pod filters for intake to keep it easy, minor fab for exhaust, other minor but nonetheless time consuming odds and ends making a couple brakets and relocate a few parts to clear engine and chassis, would I do that 20hp no thanks.

Besides all that the original poster is asking about phazer performance compared to trying to buy a nytro, not building mod sleds, a n/a nypex is still gonna cost more than a good used nytro.

Vector boy, if you can find a phazer and still have a couple grand leftover for track exhaust programmer, and do that cheaper than a nytro I say go for it, if your aren't playing in big hills and mainly meadows and trees its a blast, otherwise a nytro will be great if within budget. Hope that helps

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
Vector boy, if you can find a phazer and still have a couple grand leftover for track exhaust programmer, and do that cheaper than a nytro I say go for it, if your aren't playing in big hills and mainly meadows and trees its a blast, otherwise a nytro will be great if within budget. Hope that helps

...and we're back on track.

Premium Features