• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My thoughts on the 2014 Standard RMK Vs the 2014 PRO RMK.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I have had many Polaris sleds in my day, and I do agree that the chain drive has been very reliable. But I think the chain drive will suffer the same fate that metal skis did soon after the plastic skis came out.:face-icon-small-hap

I remember when they came out and people were saying plastic skis are a joke and will never work. Hahaha

WhiskeyTee

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2013
Utah
Does the 6 suffer the same cooling issues as the 8 in the Pro's with the absence of the front tunnel cooler?

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Yes my daughters ride 12 155 600's and my wife has a 13 155 600 I ride a 13 800 163 there's get warm just like mine maybe even a little quicker than mine I have a little more surface area with the longer tunnel. If you ride a lot of trails I would get the standard and upgrade the shocks. All of mine are pros with out the front cooler.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Not a solid driveshaft...hasnt been solid on an rmk since 2007.

Jackshaft and brake rotor are solid on the RMK's though.

Steel hydroformed tubular driveshaft on the RMK with chaincase... Aluminum extruded driveshaft with collar on the PRO's with quickdrive.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Second page of the 2015 pics??? thread, there are three shots of what I'm guessing is the 163 RMK with the right side panel open, and with the lightweight brake rotor installed. It makes sense, since on the line the cyclone/RMK brake assembly would be kitted for assembly, and same as the Assault. FWIW. Another Q for the factory connection before snowcheck is over.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The Polaris factory had told me on release day that the brake rotor on the snowcheck std RMK would be solid even with the cyclone MS.

I see your logic and agree... I'll ask to clarify.

Last edited:

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
The Polaris factory had told me on release day that the brake rotor on the snowcheck std RMK would be solid even with the cyclone MS.

I see your logic and agree... I'll ask to clarify.

Thanks for checking into this.

I'm the one that took the pictures of the brakes from the Hill Climb event. The reason I took them was to capture the configuration for myself and everyone else interested. The rep told me that the 2015 would be just as shown. I'm hoping that to be the case because my decisions were based on the configurations I've seen. 163 Front cooler, Bonded A-Arms, Pro RMK Controls, etc. These are all configurations I've seen as part of the snowcheck, but I've never seen anything in writing that they are included.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Any chance you'd be interested in writing something like this up for the 15's?

I already have....

All of the points that were covered here still hold... And now, for 2015, only with SnowCheck with the ONLY difference between the PRO and Standard RMK being the chaincase and the added cooler on the Std RMK ... even less reason, IMO, to get the pro.

ON the standard.. with SnowCheck.... you get, the same as the PRO RMK, Hi or Low ProTaper handlebars, console mounted switches, Cyclone master Cylinder, Walker Evans Clicker Remote Reservoir shocks front and rear, seat, running boards, lightweight a-arms, windshield/handguard choice, included electric start... and probably some stuff that I'm missing.

Snowcheck even gives you the same color options on the std and PRO versions.

For me... the ability to inexpensively change the gearing and the proven robustness of the chaincase... seals the deal.

Life is good.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Quick question-
Looking at getting a 2014 standard and installing the mtntk drop and roll/belt drive. For that kit I need to have an updated jackshaft and brake rotor. If I get a take off jackshaft, brake rotor, and housing off a 2014 PRO RMK it will basically drop right into the standard and I will be good to go, correct?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
You should be able to use your current jackshaft if you cut it shorter on a lathe and re-tap it.

Other than that... according to MTNTK, you look good.

https://www.mtntkperformance.com/suspension/drop-and-roll-belt-drive-kit

DSC_0267_1.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features