• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My sled is bleeding

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
2020 850. When I roll it to get it unstuck or it ends up upside down it immediately starts to drip oil. Cap is tight, oil is coming from the vent hole in the cap. Little check ball is free, can hear it rolling back and forth with cap in hand. Using the Polaris synthetic Extreme oil, its blood red.

S
Mar 2, 2009
Maybe get the Skidoo cap with the duckbill style vent? The one lots of people were using on the Pro-ride when they were concerned their oil tank was not venting properly due to the angle of the cap... I still have one off my Pro (for me it did not make any difference in oil consumption but I kept it when I sold the sled)...

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
We've seen on numerous sleds if the cap is over tightened it deforms the top of the resivour and causes leakage around the threads. It can be fixed by just doing a much less aggressive tightening and will form itself back into a more round shape fairly quickly.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
We've seen on numerous sleds if the cap is over tightened it deforms the top of the resivour and causes leakage around the threads. It can be fixed by just doing a much less aggressive tightening and will form itself back into a more round shape fairly quickly.
Or the aluminum insert from WPS.

I use the doo duckbill cap and don’t overtighten.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What’s a doo duckbill cap? Just a stocker off a doo?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
2014 skidoo summit oil tank cap.

Has a small one way valve on the underside that looks like a duck bill.

It’s way nicer on your fingers and doesn’t hydro lock.

Been using mine for 4 years and 3 sleds.
I think I have one in my spares from back then. I’ll look. Thanks!

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
That cap I had wasn’t the right one. I just put the cap on until I felt the o-ring make contact and just a 6th of a turn more. Worked perfect, no leaks now
Thanks!

4GR8X

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Star, ID
There is a square O-ring on the oil tank filler neck side of your cap. Use a dental styled pick to remove the square O-ring flip the O-ring over. Prior to re-installing the square O-ing inspect the sealing surface of the O-ring to the cap, clean cap if needed. Gently clean O-ing if needed, as well. Be careful if cleaning the O-ring do not stretch. This technique has worked several times for me. Good luck resolving your leak. It does make a mess!

Premium Features