• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My first Snowbike Ride!!!

M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
Well I've been watching all the guys get out on the Timbersled conversion kits on the dirtbikes and I just had to do it!!! I left the Polaris Pro home for a day, and was able to demo a 2012 Yamaha WR450 with a 2013 Timbersled kit and had a BLAST!! It had the new 10" wide ski up front so the trail handling. The even better part is I brought my GoPro along to show everyone what these machines can do, and give a woman's perspective! So here is me riding!!!!

http://youtu.be/t2Q2A3vS5xY

M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
I sat on my very first dirt bike back in May 2012 (yes last year). I did a lot of enduro riding and had plenty of time on mx tracks as well. But riding these Timbersleds are really a different feel. I can't compare them to riding a snowmobile because they really aren't, they are just another machine on the snow. They sit 3-4 inches higher then a stock dirt bike so the getting on and off was a little hard for me even though I am 5'8". You feel like you are top heavy at first. I did a lot of editing on this one because for the first half the day I was tipping over, somewhere around 20+ times. This is normal for anyone until they gain the trust and comfort that they do stand on their own. You will learn to use throttle and momentum for balance and line choice. As far as the size of the bike, don't take that as a fear. My personal dirt bike is a Honda 250F, and the bike I rode on my demo was a Yamaha WR450. Just remember, they are turning more than just a tire back there, so a bigger motor is needed. So as the experience you need? Knowing how to clutch and shift is a must. And balance is crucial. Just know that when you do get on one, tipping over is gonna happen. So don't give up!! Because these things are a blast!!!

W

Woops!

Mar 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Whoa! That looks awesome! How's the handling compared to a sled as far as steering/countersteering?

Last edited:
M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
No countersteer. Just "putting the ski into the hill" if that gives you an idea. Handling was a challenge for the first few hours. I felt so top heavy with the balance and had to learn the idea to use momentum and throttle to turn. The slow speeds is only when I fell off. But once I was in the fresh snow making my own lines it was incredible. When you see me sidehilling, that is actually the easiest part of it, you just put a little weight on the side that you are in the hill and just watch to make your lines.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Janet has little experience on a motorcycle.. started riding bikes just a few years ago (she rides a BMW F650).... anyway.. she liked riding a snow bike but like me figured we are too old to make a full time switch from sleds to snow bikes

PL 2.jpg PL 3.jpg

M

misssledderki

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 14, 2009
Flathead Valley, MT
www.youtube.com
One is never too old for something new! I've honestly seen more of the "total switch" from a sled to a bike in the older generation riders. They really become effortless much like a sled after you put the time into them. And those areas that you have rode past for years and years, now become fun. You are always wondering where can I go, not am I gonna be able to make it without getting stuck.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Janet has little experience on a motorcycle.. started riding bikes just a few years ago (she rides a BMW F650).... anyway.. she liked riding a snow bike but like me figured we are too old to make a full time switch from sleds to snow bikes

No kidding, maybe it's time to change your signature too!

Snowmobiles once you are acclimated to them may seem old hat, easy they are not, it's once you learn to jump through all the hoops and stand on one hand it's just a routine. If there was such an option, rent the bikes with a kit for say a week in Revy, ride them like a rental sun up to sun up. Back to the Twoski, "what's wrong with this piece of s#>*", "who F*9k'd with my machine?"<k3'd with="" my="" machine?"="" "didn't="" we="" get="" back="" in="" there="" once?",="" then="" subtract="" the="" labor="" from="" past="" shovel="" work="" and="" it's="" a="" no="" brainer.=""
Amazing what your body forgets when your mind is made up! For price incentive figure in all that shovel work as a labor strike and your a Hostess executive. ;)
PS make sure you keep packing that shovel, might come across an emergency situation that calls for it, shelter, shallow grave, over the top sled fire insurance claim!:face-icon-small-hap

Honda CRF150R chassis with a CRF250X engine, now that's low!
734718_456410777749613_2127041785_n.jpg

</k3'd>

Last edited:

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
you guys are getting pretty ridiculous they get rid of one dumb azz and another POS appears!! if anyone wants one they know where to get them~ ya don't have to hijack sections that don't apply to ya~~

B
Feb 25, 2013
Her thread, sorry you translate TTT as POS. :(

Well I've been watching all the guys get out on the Timbersled conversion kits on the dirtbikes and I just had to do it!!! I left the Polaris Pro home for a day, and was able to demo a 2012 Yamaha WR450 with a 2013 Timbersled kit and had a BLAST!! It had the new 10" wide ski up front so the trail handling. The even better part is I brought my GoPro along to show everyone what these machines can do, and give a woman's perspective! So here is me riding!!!!

http://youtu.be/t2Q2A3vS5xY

You rock misssledderki!:wine:

M

Momma

Jun 20, 2009
In the heart of the Kootenays BC
I would love to do some sort of a Demo in conjunction with The store I work at, Main Jet Motorsports in Nelson BC. My Boss Aaron is a total Bike Nut, and a great Sledder to boot.
If anyone can get us in touch with, or help me arrange some sort of a Demo ride I'd be super thankful. I'm just learning the bike thing, but I'd soooooooo Be game!
You can call me 250 352 3191 at work during the days or email trishd@mainjet.ca
Have a great night!
Braaap!

Trish

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Trish, If you ever get down to the lower mainland area, my buddy Prosports on here lives in Mission and has a rental fleet of nearly new timbersleds to give tours on.

Aaron would love these things, honestly! I think a road trip is in order if you ask me!

Jon

Premium Features