• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My first ride on a Doo!

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
So in 2 weeks I'm down 2 seperate Pro's :(

Luckily on my buddy let me ride his "wifes" 2012 XM for the day, which was actually my first time every riding a skidoo. I must say I was really impressed with its power and overall playfulness. I'm curious how many others feel the same about my assessment.

Though there are obviously many differences between the Pro and the Doo, I feel there were two that really stood out. One positive and one negative.

Positive:
Descending on the Skidoo might possibly have been one of the most fun things I've ever done on a sled. It's ability to playfully carve left and right made it feel almost like skiing, I've never really got the whole "carving downhill" thing until now. What an awesome time it was.

Negative:
I definitely didn't like how it sidehill'd compared to my Pro. My style thus far has just been very slow tech riding in the steep trees, and on my pro Im very comfortable slowing working through the trees, stopping going etc, however on the Doo I just couldnt get it to NOT want to loose the rear and point straight up. Im sure there is a bit of a learning curve, but Im convinced it just wont sidehill the same as the pro.

Given the circumstances it could be a fair trade off as climbing up to playfully descend down was just as fun as technical riding in the trees.

Any NON BIAS people out there that can speak on the reliability of the Doo's compared to other brands?

Also, heres a quick edit from the day. Unfortunately I killed my battery on the GoPro before I got fully comfortable on the sled so the footage is just meh, but a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AloP3e0tpxs

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
2012 is an XP. XM's are even easier to ride, and the new T-3's a touch easier yet with the new Raised front end...

Nice little writeup and Vid. I do own a doo but am not brand loyal. But I do think it is hard to beat skidoo right now for such a great all around sled outta the box...

A
Feb 16, 2014
First couple of days on my XM this weekend and I absolutely loved it. Came from an M Cat which was great, but truly no comparison between the two. Power is awesome, handling was great, and Climbing is effortless. I do agree that the sidehilling was tough to keep inline and the sled wants to wash out and head uphill fairly easily. From what I have read on here it takes some time to adjust and that body weight needs to be as far forward as possible and throttle control really help with the sidehilling wash out. Haven't really touched the limiters or suspension so maybe a little work with that would help, as well. Other than that, couldn't be happier.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I ride a 15 summit SP and had the same wash out the back feeling last year when I first rode it. I did get it dialled a bit better and Had lots of fun with it stock. This year i did the SHR skid relocation brackets that make it similar to the 154 T3 set up and added better shocks. Now I can do the slow technical sidehills without washing out -- Totally effortless like the downhill carves. Initially I bought the sled simply for the engine and overall reliability second only to Yamaha but without the weight. So get a T3 or else use the SHR relocation brackets and you will have the total package that just works.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The XM with the T3 addresses the sidehilling issue. Much more agile and "balanced" feel compared to the standard XM...or "flickable" in Polaris talk. :face-icon-small-hap

If you guys like how your XM's handle with those mods for sidehilling you should try one that has and EZ-Ryde Carve in it. I installed a EZ-Ryde Carve in my T3 163 this year and it is incredible how much it changed the sled for "technical" riding. Our group has lots of time to compare between different models, mods and brands this year already with all the early snow and the EZ-Ryde is the favorite. My bud put one in his PRO 163 this year and it even made a significant difference in that sled.

If your a fan of the skis being 2ft in the air all the time it may not be for you. But if you like them 6in to 12in off the snow you will love how the skid lets you slice and dice the tech lines.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I too am new to doo this year. Actually had one when I joined SnoWest back in 2000. Riding Polaris ever since. I have been finding that it's a different animal. Takes time to adjust to. I found it's the most controllable when standing as far back as you can when climbing. Other wise it's a little squirrelly. Only done a little side hilling but one foot in the front as far as I can get it and other about half way back seemed to be the ticket on my T3 163. Not riding in super steep side hills though so far. Nothing like that where I ride most of the time. Also found that setting the limiter strap do-hickey to short controlled the wheelies and put more weight on the front end. Not sure if I'll ride it in the "long" position ever again. All in all, very happy with my move to Doo.

R
Oct 10, 2014
I too am new to doo this year. Actually had one when I joined SnoWest back in 2000. Riding Polaris ever since. I have been finding that it's a different animal. Takes time to adjust to. I found it's the most controllable when standing as far back as you can when climbing. Other wise it's a little squirrelly. Only done a little side hilling but one foot in the front as far as I can get it and other about half way back seemed to be the ticket on my T3 163. Not riding in super steep side hills though so far. Nothing like that where I ride most of the time. Also found that setting the limiter strap do-hickey to short controlled the wheelies and put more weight on the front end. Not sure if I'll ride it in the "long" position ever again. All in all, very happy with my move to Doo.

The adjustable limiter strap working out for you? I had one put on my sled as well, but unfortunately haven't been able to ride it yet. No snow in Maine. Imagine that. Fucing El Nino screw that bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
The adjustable limiter strap working out for you? I had one put on my sled as well, but unfortunately haven't been able to ride it yet. No snow in Maine. Imagine that. Fucing El Nino screw that bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only played with it a bit. We hit a hill that you have to dive down and then come back out to get out. I decided to try it both ways. The sled definitely climbs better with it short. Not super easy to change. Had to get off and do it from beside the machine. Sled was caked with snow so maybe it was the reason it was not "easy" to change. I then ran most of the day in short. Ski's still lift and there isn't much change in ski pressure if any. I noticed that my sled with me on it, sits in the short position with a little slack even so all I am really doing is limiting the wheelie aspect. Nice option to have in my opinion.

BTW, sorry for your lack of snow. It's not great out here in middle Montana but better than what you guys are experiencing for sure.

Premium Features