• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mxz renagade into a mountain machine

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
I've got a buddy who just bought a 05 mxz renegade 600 with only 300 miles on it and completely stock. He's trying to make it into a better powder machine without spending a whole bunch of money. Any suggestions? It seems like the first place to start would be to cut out the sway bar, loosen the limiter strap, and tighten the front track shock, but i don't know much about revs, so i really don't know.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello, Loose the swaybar, set skis to inside position, Maybe taller Bar risers, Longer taller lug track more floatation less getting stuck go more places. for a deeper snow sled or powder sled Snow Eliminators is a must on a moutain machine, less snow on the boards more free movement of your feet rather than shovin the snow around.

Could be many other mods but these will be most noticed from the start.

Good Luck, Wildcard

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
Thanks for the tips, he's got the bigger track already so the big ones done so to speak. It seems like he's got to much ski pressure but I know that messing with the track suspension can make it into a real bad trencher as well. I suppose trial and error will be the way of the day but if anyones got some tips on that we'd appreciate it.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Economical clutch improvements
Removing the black 160/300 secondary spring and installing a purple 225/300 secondary spring (414978300) from a rev 800 summit or XP 231/300 secondary spring (417127062) would be a great calibration change to contribute to better clutching for the newly applied track.

x2, clutchin can be huge improvement in any sled and this guy Knows how to put down the power. gotta be the best performace change that can be done.

Wildcard

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Does the front arm on the rear skid have a twist know to adjust the front limiter strap or is it the type you have to change move the bolt from hole to hole?

Having the knob is the easiest way to adjust while out riding, with the sled setting on a flat surface feel the slack on the limiter strap if its tight loosed the knob till it has some slack in it and try that. If its tight now don`t go really sloppy loose you want to make some minor adjustment at first to much and suspension won`t like it. This will allow the front end to come up more on the throttle and make it get up on the snow easier and handle better in deeper snow. Try this on the rear skid first if it makin the back of the sled squat to much on the throttle and not trying to lift the front end up or out of the snow then move the rear of skid spring adjustment up a notch.

Loosening the limiter strap will take away the front ski pressure and will sometimes depending on snow conditions make the front try to push thru the corners when on the throttle but sometimes you have to give up trail manners to get more moutain sled characteristics.

You have to play with it a little at a time and tune it to your liking and not to many big changes.

What size track has the sled gone too? is it a longer skid change along with track or have rail extensions from what I would imagine the 121 MXZ skid?

What skis does the sled have?

Good Luck, Wildcard

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
stock 136'' skid with a 2'' challenger. I think because it's a renegade it had the 136'' skid from stock setup. It has the stock trail skis. Apart from its complete lack of flickability it seems to get round ok, but it would be nice to get it lay over easier.

C

Cheeze

Sep 28, 2010
Find someone parting out a summit and buy the front end if its like mine it has a 46" front end way to much ski pressure I put on summit a arms and shocks off an XP better boards and can move the steering post forward with a 440 race seat its a fun sled now needs a longer track but its on a budget

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello Cheeze has an excellent tip on installing the summit front end, forgot about the possible wide frontend mxz the narrower summit front loosing the sway bar, and set skis to narrow position would make a huge difference in laying the sled over that alone would over come about any rears skid adjustment other than loosening the limiter strap abit, If you want it to handle likea summit or better install and copy what the Summit already has on it.

many summit sleds getting parted our on here and dootalk.com

Wildcard

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
The first problem is the wide front end of the MXZ's, the original Summits way back when with 670's had 36" front ends and they flat worked, and guess what, 36" is back. Huge difference for throwing it around and side hilling in the powder.

Second, look at the side profile of a Summit and an MXZ, specifically the angle of the track coming up from the tip of the rails to the drivers. Summit's much flatter angle than MXZ's. Flatter angle climbs up on the powder easier, MXZ steep angle is a trenching machine in comparison.

I have fixed this when converting my 08 TNT XP to a mtn machine by moving the skid back about 3 to 4". This was easy to do as they started with 120 tracks. So just worked it out a 137 track and shorter extension plates on rails.

Moving the skid back does haves it drawbacks as far as making it a little more difficult to dial in your suspension. Can be done though, mine works great.

Here is a pic of my 08 TNT 600 carb that only weighs 365 LBs with 15 wide 2.25 X 141 X 3" pitch track. Truly goes anywhere with its light weight and my engine porting with 629 big bore in it. If I was given an 800 if I'd sell it and build another 600 with a Carbon fiber tunnel and get it down in the 340 lb range. Nothing compares to a truly light sled in powder.

Good Luck

Attachments

• P1000109(1).JPG
    P1000109(1).JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 73
  • P1000110(1).JPG
    P1000110(1).JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 73
B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
Economical clutch improvements
Removing the black 160/300 secondary spring and installing a purple 225/300 secondary spring (414978300) from a rev 800 summit or XP 231/300 secondary spring (417127062) would be a great calibration change to contribute to better clutching for the newly applied track.
Do these two springs have the same free length, not counting the tang? I'm working on an 06 800 rev. The stock Rev 300 spring (used) measures 5 9/16". I have a new XP 062 spring that measures 6 1/8". Is the stock rev spring just sacked out? Will the XP spring have the same spring rate when installed in a rev? Thanks.

Premium Features