• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Munster throttle heater upgrade?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Fixing to start my third season on my finger throttle, one of the best upgrades I've ever done to my sled. with that being said, the heating element's always been a short coming. Lets face it it pretty much useless, even Andrew kinda admitted it had some short comings. I will say it worked better with my XM with seperate heater controls. When I got my 1st G4 I had to alter the bias between hand and thumb warmer to "kick" it up. To make a long story short, I took my new sled out tonight, and the heater is barely working, got home after about a half hour and my finger was numb, not good. Was thinking about trying to find an aftermarket element to install, however, the flipper is pretty small, so might be tough to get one to size right. Anyone come up with a solution to put some serious heat on an otherwise great product?

Attachments

• throttle.JPG
    throttle.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 109

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
I thought I read that the dealer can still change setting to the thumb element separate from hands in buds. I was thinking of this exact same thing yesterday. This Is especially a problem early season for me, colder trail rides. so bad I have been looking for a heated gloves, just not sure if the gloves actually heat the fingers.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, they have separate programmable settings, I had that done with my last sled, hoping I can get an update on my CanDoo Pro to allow me to do it at home. Even with the bias change though the heater element has never been anything to brag about. Thinking about tapping a heat demon thumb warmer onto it as seeing where that goes. I have them on my ATV and after five years, still hot as a firecracker

R
Dec 17, 2018
I have the same problem on my Axys, sub’ed to see if there’s any solutions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a finger throttle on my axys and cat and the heating element (If there really is one) I don’t think has ever gotten luke warm, let alone hot. Thinking of putting one in my doo turbo. I usually trail ride in with my klim “camel toe” (see pic) gloves and then change to my riding gloves once at elevation. Never really had a problem with cold fingers. I know the fly racing heated gloves work very well, on season #3.

Attachments

• 2D7A681B-503C-455B-8F2D-CAB1CF935AC7.jpeg
    2D7A681B-503C-455B-8F2D-CAB1CF935AC7.jpeg
    562 KB · Views: 29

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I used the Burandt gauntlets on my Alpha last year and they made a HUGE difference. I always wore my thin gloves even on the coldest days. Helped to keep my gloves dry too. They are big and dorky looking but they work really well and never effected how I rode the sled.
One thing I was careful about was rollovers getting unstuck. They have a huge surface area and Put a lot of pressure on the steering shaft. Usually will stomp out an area in the snow first

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
So I bought an aftermarket thumbwarmer kit, a Demon. I bought a complte Demon setup for my Sportsman six years ago, and they're still going strong. Was hoping it would be a two wire like the one on my ATV so I could tie into the factory wiring, but it came with three instead. With that said I went and did the install a couple of days ago, and can report it works pretty well. A couple of things to point out, I used a flipper with a known bad heater element and cut the wires, I belt sanded the back of the flipper to remove the convex so the heater element would sit flat, and wired as per the instructions using my accessory port under the console. Been riding in 15* weather and the warm setting seems adequate, however, the high position will definitely get your attention. I'll report back how it worked out in the long run in a few weeks, but for under $35 it's a worthwhile add on to replace the stocker

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0674.JPG
    IMG_0674.JPG
    962.5 KB · Views: 89
T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
So I bought an aftermarket thumbwarmer kit, a Demon. I bought a complte Demon setup for my Sportsman six years ago, and they're still going strong. Was hoping it would be a two wire like the one on my ATV so I could tie into the factory wiring, but it came with three instead. With that said I went and did the install a couple of days ago, and can report it works pretty well. A couple of things to point out, I used a flipper with a known bad heater element and cut the wires, I belt sanded the back of the flipper to remove the convex so the heater element would sit flat, and wired as per the instructions using my accessory port under the console. Been riding in 15* weather and the warm setting seems adequate, however, the high position will definitely get your attention. I'll report back how it worked out in the long run in a few weeks, but for under $35 it's a worthwhile add on to replace the stocker

Do the instructions tell you if its possible to only use 2 wires to use the OEM throttle plug? I've got a Demon kit sitting in my cart and I'm just hoping to stumble across that tidbit of knowledge before I buy. Also did you heat shrink the warmer to the back of the throttle?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
No they don't. The thumb/hand warmer setup I got for my ATV was two wire, but this wound up being three. Yes, it's comes with shrink tubing. The switch kinda sucks, won't stay on high, bounces to the off position

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
No they don't. The thumb/hand warmer setup I got for my ATV was two wire, but this wound up being three. Yes, it's comes with shrink tubing. The switch kinda sucks, won't stay on high, bounces to the off position
Thats a bummer. I wonder if an ATV one could be retrofitted? After looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there's 3 wires to run power thru a resistor for "Low". Makes me wonder if you could just use the other 2 and utilize the factory plug & power settings. I've also read dealers have the ability to change the heat ratio for the grips/throttle so they can bump up the throttle. I haven't confirmed it yet though.

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
On a side note regarding the finger throttle, anyone think that the pull distance is too far? Everyone is getting shorter pull break levers yet the finger throttle is much further away than a stock brake lever. Just curious. I would like a shorter one.

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
On a side note regarding the finger throttle, anyone think that the pull distance is too far? Everyone is getting shorter pull break levers yet the finger throttle is much further away than a stock brake lever. Just curious. I would like a shorter one.
Sometimes. I get arm pump with pumping the throttle a lot on slopes. I hit full RPM with 3/4 throttle, which means there's probably a way to loosen the cable, bring the throttle closer to the bars (a wedge?) and still get full throttle with the remaining distance.

Jan 24, 2013
Anyone ever notice how hot it is on the back side of the flipper? I decided to remove some of the material in order to get my finger closer to the element. Wow what a difference. It's to the point to if your riding without gloves it gets uncomfortably hot.

The caliper is set at the original thickness of the flipper to give you a idea of how much I took off.

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_160808178.jpg
    IMG_20210111_160808178.jpg
    578.5 KB · Views: 78
T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
Anyone ever notice how hot it is on the back side of the flipper? I decided to remove some of the material in order to get my finger closer to the element. Wow what a difference. It's to the point to if your riding without gloves it gets uncomfortably hot.

The caliper is set at the original thickness of the flipper to give you a idea of how much I took off.
Dang, never considered taking material off it! Did you just use a dremel barrel or something? That's definitely something to consider too! Also WUT is up with your element wire routing?? haha

T

Thielio20

Oct 6, 2018
Interior, AK
I'm also curious if you could machine the throttle body around the handlebar to move it closer to the bar? I'll have an extra one soon and maybe I'll have a buddy try that out.

Jan 24, 2013
Dang, never considered taking material off it! Did you just use a dremel barrel or something? That's definitely something to consider too! Also WUT is up with your element wire routing?? haha
Ha ha yeah it's not finished moving stuff around yet. Yes dremel I was a little nervous about going to far but as it stands while on the throttle warmer turned all the way up it gets hot! Prior to doing this it would get warm but not like this.

Jan 24, 2013
I'm also curious if you could machine the throttle body around the handlebar to move it closer to the bar? I'll have an extra one soon and maybe I'll have a buddy try that out.
I'm sure you could but I would make sure you can see that the throttle body is opening fully. By removing what I did it has moved it a little closer maybe consider that first?

Premium Features