• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

muffpot recipe!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

racingpit

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2002
Sheridan, WY
www.hoseplugs.com
hahhha This is the best post.

After much testing, and I have the beltline to prove it, I can say with precision what the various cooking times needed for each type of meat etc.

First of all we need to establish some parameters.

trail riding does not produce the heat at the same rate than does WFO hill pulls. Sidehilling produces the most heat @ WFO

****20 minutes of trail riding equals +- four 2 minute WFO hill pulls
****For quick "microwave" type heating, get yourself sidehilling at low speeds but high RPM's. A three minute WFO sidehill equals 11 minutes of trail riding or two 2 minute WFO hill pulls.

I find that the more "liquidy" the item you are trying to heat, the longer it takes to heat that item.

Hot dogs = Trail ride for 40 minutes, then 3.5 minutes of WFO sidehilling. Pull the tin foil off the top and take another 2 minute WFO hill pull. That will give the top of the hotdog a nice brown hue.

Hot pockets = About the same as hotdogs

Chili = Forty six WFO 2 minute hill pulls. Chili is tough, the outside may seem done, bu if you skimp on your pulls, you will have a cold center.

Fish = Put a table spoon of water inside the tin foil to keep it moist. Nothing worse than eating dry fish. Happily, this item takes much less time to heat up. A quick 20 minute trail ride and a 79 second WFO sidehill gets Martha Stewart jealous on the taste!!

A nice little thing I have seen some do is to unhook a EGT probe (If you have one), then spear the food item with it. You can then use your LCD readout to check the progress. I think this is selling out a bit, but you can't argue the results.

Hopefully this little guide will prove to be helpful. It took years, and about 50 pounds to get this muffpot cooking thing down to a science. So I got that going for me........................Which is nice!

B

beer gut

Nov 2, 2004
Centennial, CO
so everyone is using wax paper? foil?cook bags?

For things like Hot Pockets/Pizza Rolls/burritos, I use "parchment paper". Then your food doesn't turn green from the foil. For things like cocktail weenies or anything juicy, I use oven bags. Both should be available in your grocery store.

I recommended a tin of smoked oysters. Often this takes two Chef's. The first Chef ask's to borrow a sled with a Muff pot on it. He then rides it in to the trees and quickly stabs some holes in the Oyster tin and puts it into the Muff Pot. The sled is then returned to the owner who will now unknowingly become the second chef. It is a good idea to compliment the owner of the sled about how good it runs when you return it.

The second chef cooks the oysters (the longer the better) and is greeted with a surprise meal when the Muff Pot is re-opened. Voila! Fine Cuisine on the mountain.

Check out Alticity 3 for a visual aid to this process. haha

S
Dec 3, 2007
Vernon BC
Food doesnt get hot??

We have muff pots on both of our sleds...summit 600 and a XRS 800.Even when im pinning it the food never seems to get hot only warm....do you guys actually get hot food???

S
Nov 28, 2007
With the buddies, he wraps hot dogs or cheddar smokies in a shop towel and throws them in. The towel soaks up any grease and it works well.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
With the buddies, he wraps hot dogs or cheddar smokies in a shop towel and throws them in. The towel soaks up any grease and it works well.
I guess that would work if you wanted petroleum flavored food :D

I might suggest using just standard paper towels from the kitchen rather then the blue Shop Towels. Then wrap the paper towel with aluminum foil.

I'll be putting muffpots on both of my sleds this year :)

K.Materi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Have any of you tried to build a fire for your muffpot? We did this weekend and it worked great.:beer;

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
We have muff pots on both of our sleds...summit 600 and a XRS 800.Even when im pinning it the food never seems to get hot only warm....do you guys actually get hot food???

I've burnt my tongue/mouth more than once from the food being hot. :eek: Where is your placement of the muff pots? That could have something to do with it.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
I've burnt my tongue/mouth more than once from the food being hot. :eek: Where is your placement of the muff pots? That could have something to do with it.

I really need to see some pictures of how y'all mounted your muffpots on a REV 800 ('05). Also how the heck do you mount it?
I used the hose clamps that came with mine on my 2000 700 right at the "Y" pipe and I wouldn't get more than 2 rides out of it and the clamps would break.
Really sorry about hijacking this thread but I need to know!!!

BTW My favorite is garlic Brats....MmmMMmm Good ! I BBQ them the day before the ride and wrap them in foil.
When I put the food in the Muff Pot my riding buddies made fun of me.
When I pulled the Brats out later and they were all steamy and smelling awesome I saw one of my buddies drool.....just a little bit:D

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
rev mufpot

My muffpot is mounted on my hps can so that it is level when the sled is sitting. Unfortunatly I think the cool air vent kits keep too much air flowing thru to allow it to get too hot. I am trying to figure out a spot that might get a bit hotter or maybe make something to deflect/block the airflow so it would get a bit warmer. As for food, Wal Mart has some chicken egg rolls that are about $2.75 for 6 of them they are really good! I defrost them before I go and they will get warm, but not hot enough to burn. They are quite popular with the group!

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
Beer Gut was the Chef on the trail last year at the CO 4M ride. He sold me on the Muff Pot. I had to get one for each of our sleds so I don't have to share my food. I think Little smokies in a little BBQ sauce are the ticket.

A
Nov 26, 2007
eugene, oregon
mmmm, injected cheese

little smokies with the injected cheese. drain the extra juice, wrap in foil and put a folded paper towel in the bottom of the hot dogger to soak up any leakage. :beer;:beer;

Premium Features