• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtntk tunnel shortening kit

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
500km plus on mine.
Looks like the track has brushed bottom of guard once or twice on whooped out trail.
Other then that nothing to report.
Sure like a shorter tunnel

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
Do a search there's a few threads on here that you should read in terms of durability.
I did a search. Not a lot came up. I only saw one 4 page thread with a lot of opinions from people who have not tried it and one guy that posted that his track hit it and it caused a leak. I am looking for more experiences and less uneducated opinions on the kit. I'm also wondering if they have refined the kit to be tougher. If you found a thread with many actual reviews, please post a link.

Nov 27, 2008
If I were you I would contact the guy that the track hit and was leaking to see what mtntk did for him , he would be the best to talk too.

neden

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2016
Sweden

pepperhouse

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2010
Thanks for the feedback. That is definitely a concern of mine when jumping and what not. What size track and how much did you cut off?

3” X3 163
Cut off 8 inches
I’m cutting my other sled I like the short tunnel so much but this time going to try the 5’ mtntk cooler and no tunnel shortening kit

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.

redneckracer76

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2012
nevada
I have been wanting to cut the tunnel like the idea of 5 ft cooler but i am curious i have to run 5 to 10 miles of hard pack some days while riding havr you had any problems I run a 174 and my track will grab the flap and pull up onto track on whopped out roads we don't have any groomed trails where i live to good riding and have cooling issues as can be accepted when flap is pulled in have thought about pulling flap

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
i agree with Neden, do the 5' cooler option. i did the kit from MTNTEK and it worked but i run really hot temps all the time. im going to do the 5' cooler this summer. i love the shorter tunnel, sled keeps diggin if its getting traction.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Looking at the MTNTK kit when the cut is done and replaced with the hose, it looks like a restriction is caused which alters coolant flow. Welding would be better or add the 5' cooler, but then your adding 11 lbs to the sled.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
Looking at the MTNTK kit when the cut is done and replaced with the hose, it looks like a restriction is caused which alters coolant flow. Welding would be better or add the 5' cooler, but then your adding 11 lbs to the sled.
i have seen that it adds weight, is that 11 lbs with coolant? i dont want to add weight but i really need to cool down the temps. i could try welding it back together and ditching the kit?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
IMHO, I would avoid the shortening kit and weld it. The plastic parts that are glued in are 3D printed, or at least the ones in the pictures are. Printed parts are only 80% solid, at best. All plastics are porous, believe it or not, but printed plastics are like a screen door. It'll leak, eventually.

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
Just remove ur snow flap and bumper at run some kind of tight high Mount bumper b&m fab or some thing and I think u will get enough to
Make u happy

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Just remove ur snow flap and bumper at run some kind of tight high Mount bumper b&m fab or some thing and I think u will get enough to
Make u happy
Agreed. Shorter tunnels look cool and help with sidehilling and turnouts. And there are some freakin' awesome riders on these forums that would definitely benefit from a shorter tunnel. But, I think the vast majority of riders probably would see similar enough benefits by just removing the flap.

I rode flapless all last season, testing my kit, and it definitely makes a positive difference. Besides, it only costs a Benjamin and takes less than an hour to install. Shameless plug, but a man's gotta make a living

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Make u happy
That's what I am going to do, Rogue bumper, snow flap delete kit and 163 in 155 chassis. Sled will be way better than my talent can ever utilize.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I rode flapless all last season, testing my kit, and it definitely makes a positive difference. Besides, it only costs a Benjamin and takes less than an hour to install. Shameless plug, but a man's gotta make a living

.... testing my kit ...... what kit ? TIA.

Premium Features