• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn tk tunnel shortening kit leak

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Anyone with experience on what to do with a MTNTK Performance tunnel shortening kit that is leaking. Just installed on a ‘21 Khaos and let epoxy dry for a week in a 65 degree shop. Pressure checked and no issues. Filled last night with coolant and heat cycled today and is leaking somewhere on the top side as it comes on the top of the tunnel. Didn’t start leaking till about 165 deg on the second heat cycle. Need to drill all the rivers out and find out where it is coming from. Seeping out of under the taillight bracket.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I installed one on my sled but this is why im thinking about eating the $300 and installing the 5ft cooler instead

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I'd be very nervous going in the backcountry with that thing hanging at the back holding my precious coolant. even if it didn't leak at the garage.

with the amount of banging these sleds see it's too much of a gamble imo.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
It could be the plastic fitting leaking through. They appear to be 3D printed. You can make printed parts waterproof with overfilling the extrusion, but it can be hit and miss, especially between layers. Typical 3D printed stuff is like a screen door.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
i had this kit, it never leaked. Check past threads on it because alot of us used a different sealant than the one supplied. i have since removed said kit and welded it back up, sled ran way too hot. that plastic restricts too much coolant flow.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
Spend the money and do it right the first time. Have the factory cooler tig welder. This plastic kit is cheesy I think. Welded mine 2 yrs ago.

Stay tuned.. we have a weld in ‘kit’ coming that will be stronger than this plastic kit but easier than cutting & fitting mitres from the original cooler

No flow restrictions or loss of strength either.

Hope to have the first ones ready within a few weeks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E
Jan 20, 2011
cashmere washington
Stay tuned.. we have a weld in ‘kit’ coming that will be stronger than this plastic kit but easier than cutting & fitting mitres from the original cooler

Who’s going to make this kit?

C
Nov 29, 2008
Cutting the mitre on the underside of the tunnel is a bit of a bugger without access to right tools. A section of a similar extrusion that would allow for a lap joint would make it a lot quicker and easier

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
So here's a preview of the weld in tunnel shortening 'kit' we are working on. We are currently 3D printing a prototype to test fit and check for any potential revisions. Once that is complete we will be machining these from solid aluminum and supplying a section of aluminum pipe that acts as a crossover tube between the two billet adapter pieces. The billet adapter pieces will slip into the extrusion with a slight interference fit.

This eliminates the difficult trimming / fit-up and weld when trying to reuse the existing crossover extrusion. Just cut your tunnel to the desired length, slip the billet blocks into the tunnel, tack the crossover pipe. Remove from sled and full weld the cross over tube, then slip back into the cut ends of the extrusion and weld into place to create a seal.

This is a similar concept to the MTNTK kit but improved in the sense that it creates significantly more strength, retains some heat exchanging through the cross over pipe, and is a fully welded setup that doesn't rely on adhesives. Billet blocks will come with weld prep bevels machined at all weld areas.

I will be posting more information and pricing once we have an idea of machine time for the kit.

IF you are interested in the kit please shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

IMG_8859.jpgimage-2020-11-20-112350-147.JPGIMG_8863.JPG

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
So here's a preview of the weld in tunnel shortening 'kit' we are working on. We are currently 3D printing a prototype to test fit and check for any potential revisions. Once that is complete we will be machining these from solid aluminum and supplying a section of aluminum pipe that acts as a crossover tube between the two billet adapter pieces. The billet adapter pieces will slip into the extrusion with a slight interference fit.

This eliminates the difficult trimming / fit-up and weld when trying to reuse the existing crossover extrusion. Just cut your tunnel to the desired length, slip the billet blocks into the tunnel, tack the crossover pipe. Remove from sled and full weld the cross over tube, then slip back into the cut ends of the extrusion and weld into place to create a seal.

This is a similar concept to the MTNTK kit but improved in the sense that it creates significantly more strength, retains some heat exchanging through the cross over pipe, and is a fully welded setup that doesn't rely on adhesives. Billet blocks will come with weld prep bevels machined at all weld areas.

I will be posting more information and pricing once we have an idea of machine time for the kit.

Thanks!

View attachment 361555View attachment 361556View attachment 361557
make your own thread man! really interesting.

and I'm sure price willl be close to the other kit

A

asker

Apr 26, 2008
Sweden

Thanks!

View attachment 361555View attachment 361556View attachment 361557
You have over thinking, you will not endup to just one straight cut. This will not be the easiest way to do it. look how its made on the proride. A square pipe that is milled to match the cooler profile.
Thats an $20 part, if its was avabiliy to buy as an part.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
That style is good on paper but I do know it leaves some question marks on the table. I've personally been apart of development of one like it and while it was fairly simple to machine. Welding through the accessory mounting chanel on the top of the tunnel sucks (have to cut it out) also the 'F' shape segment of the cooler extrusion on the top and sides where the sheet metal intersects must be cut away to allow it to be welded. And then when all is said and done you still have a less then stellar finish on the back edges of the tunnel since it has to be trimmed further forward to weld.

I've cut a number of ways and method on numerous axys sleds and I gotta say, that is not the most appealing thing ive seen unfortunately.

C

cortez

Feb 12, 2009
That style is good on paper but I do know it leaves some question marks on the table. I've personally been apart of development of one like it and while it was fairly simple to machine. Welding through the accessory mounting chanel on the top of the tunnel sucks (have to cut it out) also the 'F' shape segment of the cooler extrusion on the top and sides where the sheet metal intersects must be cut away to allow it to be welded. And then when all is said and done you still have a less then stellar finish on the back edges of the tunnel since it has to be trimmed further forward to weld.

I've cut a number of ways and method on numerous axys sleds and I gotta say, that is not the most appealing thing ive seen unfortunately.

There’s more than one way to do it, that’s for sure. In our experience welding in the t-bolt channel isn’t that bad if you have a high frequency tig welder. We have also built an offset into the part that allows for getting a tig torch in there without hacking the tunnel up to make room. The rear/topside of the tunnel & crossover tube will be shrouded with a formed aluminum piece similar to the OEM piece that allows for snow flap and LED tail light mounting. Then add an aftermarket bumper such as BM fab and it wraps it up nicely. Will post some pics once we have some complete.

D

DuncanSteel

Banned
Nov 8, 2022
Alaska
There’s more than one way to do it, that’s for sure. In our experience welding in the t-bolt channel isn’t that bad if you have a high frequency tig welder. We have also built an offset into the part that allows for getting a tig torch in there without hacking the tunnel up to make room. The rear/topside of the tunnel & crossover tube will be shrouded with a formed aluminum piece similar to the OEM piece that allows for snow flap and LED tail light mounting. Then add an aftermarket bumper such as BM fab and it wraps it up nicely. Will post some pics once we have some complete.

Did you ever develop this kit?

Premium Features