• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain sled pulling a otter sled??

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam a new snowmobiler and I know guys use different sleds for towing but we wanted to ride and access skiing and we also like camping. I bought mountain sleds and I wanna pull a otter down and around forest service roads and go camp and ski. I allready have over heated cause I go to slow with scratchers and now iam worried a little that it'll be no good with sled behind. I just thought I'd see if other guys do it anyway and deal ok. I bet we'll go less than 10 miles in and I can make two trips with gear and go lightish. I really wanna bring my small canvas tent snd stove though so I'd be at 150lbs maybe with all gear? Bad ideas or just go for it? 21 alpha one and or 16 m6 . I dunno my wife wants to go but I don't wanna strand us with kid and stuff cause they'll be poopy about it. Any advice. We usually just go cold and ski but I got these machines and wanna go in luxury lol.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I would put a tow bumper on the m6 for what you’re describing. Biggest reason is track depth. The M6 rails are closer to the snow when it’s hard so you’ll keep more snow in track to lube hyfax and cool motor.
Have pulled many kids and adults with M5 outfitted with tow bumper and otter.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I own a 2022 skidoo edge 154" 3" and tow a otter sled 9 miles one way to our cabin and have never had an issue.
Have done it with a 2012 summit, and a 2016 summit 154 with no poblems at all

P
Dec 15, 2018
I own a 2022 skidoo edge 154" 3" and tow a otter sled 9 miles one way to our cabin and have never had an issue.
Have done it with a 2012 summit, and a 2016 summit 154 with no poblems at all
Do you wax your otter sled? I had a hard time pulling it by hand and wondered if anyone ever did? When you search that stuff it's all ice fisherman and they do "smitty sleds" think a smitty would tow good behind a snowmobile? I have a pile of old skis lol!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
PC has discussed issues heating without a tow sled, snow conditions vary. For what he’s dealing with he may not have the same outcome as your specific 9 mile trip does cubby.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Pretty common in our area - it works. Tow bumper needed, good scratchers needed . If it's icey conditions, you will always struggle to keep cool on mountain sleds, and the skimmer will exacerbate that. Stop frequently, kick snow around, etc.

Ice aside....the other problem most newbies face is actually going too slow. You need to get a little speed for the scratchers to work and throw enough snow around for cooling and lubricating the slides. And ride the side of the trail to introduce some fresh snow whenever you can.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I don't wax the bottom but I did install used hyfax on the ribs to help with wear and tear.

Premium Features