• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat/King Cat

J
Jan 1, 2008
What is the difference between a king cat and Mountain cat? Little confused guys?

Where do you guys order your aftermarket parts from.

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
Well the list of differences depends on a few things. 1, what year and cc mountain cat are you refering to. All Kings are 900's, so anything less than that and there is diff 1. 2, drivers, King cats in 05-06 for sure and I'm pretty sure 04 as well all had extrovert drivers. 3, Titanium!!! The clutch springs and suspension springs are made of this wonderful stuff. 4, In 05 and 06 they came with Fox float shocks up front. 6, in 2004 the King had the longest stock track you could get, 162". I believe that they made it available on other models begining in 06, but poo had to 1 up them with the 166". I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple of things but these are the major ones.

As far as where to get your aftermarket parts, there are hundreds of companies making performance parts for sleds. No one company has everything you need or the best of what you can get. Slp, D&D, Bikeman, Holtz and the list goes on. Ask your fellow riders, take there advice and make the best decision based on your riding style and level. Hope this helps..:D:beer;:beer;

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
04 doesnt have extros and the fox floats didnt start till late 05. the king cats came stock with the attack 20 track, correct me if im wrong but the King Cat was the only model that had the 162 in the 1M chassis.

and again you have to be more specific on aftermarket parts...

IMO must haves inculde RKT head, motor torque arm, either gut the airbox or put pods on if you run carbs, reclutch, SLP twins, and either Vforce reeds or boysen rad valves,

There are a lot of people that know alot about these sleds, any questions just ask on here and they will be more than willing to help you out

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
04 doesnt have extros and the fox floats didnt start till late 05. the king cats came stock with the attack 20 track, correct me if im wrong but the King Cat was the only model that had the 162 in the 1M chassis.

I wasn't sure about the 04 with the drivers. Yes the King was the only one with the 162, until a couple years later on the M chassis. None of the other 1M series had it. Gut the air box for SURE. I have efi so I didn't wnat to mess with any more than that. My clutching seems to be spot on. Reeds and pipe yes. Although I have to disagree about the twins. The single pipe on the mountain sleds IMHO is a better way to go. It gives an increase in hp and torque, where as the twins give less torque but a little more hp. If you had a trail sled I would say go twin. This is of course pertaining to the King cat. Just my 2 cents.:face-icon-small-coo

R

redbarchetta

Dec 2, 2007
blackhills, wy
Twins

I Would Also Have To Disagree With The Twins, I Have Had Slp Twins On My 05 King And An Slp Single. The Twins Are Way To Picky To Tune You Have To Be Spot On With Everything And Every Elevation Change Makes A Big Diff. Imo

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
haha alright alright go with a singe, in all reality ACs stock pipes are good to begin with. just put a can on it....one of the preferred cans is the thing, I dont like it cause the sound is too tinny, I have an MBRP and i'm happy with it. I was also more or less referring the twins with an RKT head. they compliment each other...besides the 9hundy is a torky SOB anyways....it all depends on how much you want to get out of your motor, the 900 can take anything you can throw at it (a couple more cents)

00buck

Nov 26, 2007
Speedwerx y pipe camo extreme 2.5 track . Just adding to your guys list:beer;

J
Jan 1, 2008
Ok guys thanks for the info. I am running an 03 mountain cat 900 carb. What do I exactly do to gut my air box because that definatly is a pain in the ***. I SEEN A THREAD where he had snow and ice in there and i noticed it on mine. What do you guys do as far as clutching? I am riding in northern ontario so i'm more less riding flat land up here. thanks guys

B
Dec 14, 2007
Wasilla
Ok guys thanks for the info. I am running an 03 mountain cat 900 carb. What do I exactly do to gut my air box because that definatly is a pain in the ***. I SEEN A THREAD where he had snow and ice in there and i noticed it on mine. What do you guys do as far as clutching? I am riding in northern ontario so i'm more less riding flat land up here. thanks guys

Underneath the tool kit lid you will find 4 screws. Take them out and lift the top off. You will see what looks like two round holes (looks like a water slide) best description I can think of. This is a one piece air horn, and clips in with some plastic tabs front and back. Wedge a screwdriver in between the tab and the air box body and carefully leverage the air horn out. Air box is now gutted. Now on the back side of the air box you will see a rectangular hole. This is where the air feed from the cowling vents is. This is VERY important! Get some of the slp powder screen and make a cover to go over this opening! Otherwise any powder coming in the intake vents will have a straight shot into your carbs. I also recomend doing this for the outside vents as well. I have been told to install the aux intake kit up top of the cowling but with these things done I have had zero probs. Hope this helps..:beer;:beer;

Premium Features