• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mototrax and Snowtech MX

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Not much conversation on these kits. I know Mototrax had a tough couple start up years but wonder how they compare for 2019 and now going into 2020? Snowtech MX looks like an amazingly capable kit but also hear little about them.

Thoughts?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Snowtech hands down... I owned 2nd year mototrax and have ridden the snowtech...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I hear MotoTrax is trying to turn things around after the new ownership. Looks like their kits are starting to have less issues. Always better for the consumers to have more companies in the mix.
As for Snowtech, I'm not sure he ever wanted to grow it to be a full on business venture. That's just the feeling I got. Super nice guy. I believe he already runs a machine shop and he turned out an awesome product, the thing looks bullet proof. I only spent a short time riding it, one at a demo day in West Yellowstone and then my brother rented one through a place in West another day. It was the most sound kit I had rode, no weird vibrating noises, seemed to really run true and smooth. Saying that I've only rode a TS MH chassis, TS Aro very little with a little time on a RIOT, little demo time on a 2017 MotoTrax. Look forward to hearing some others thoughts that have actually owned them.

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
I hear MotoTrax is trying to turn things around after the new ownership. Looks like their kits are starting to have less issues. Always better for the consumers to have more companies in the mix.
As for Snowtech, I'm not sure he ever wanted to grow it to be a full on business venture. That's just the feeling I got. Super nice guy. I believe he already runs a machine shop and he turned out an awesome product, the thing looks bullet proof. I only spent a short time riding it, one at a demo day in West Yellowstone and then my brother rented one through a place in West another day. It was the most sound kit I had rode, no weird vibrating noises, seemed to really run true and smooth. Saying that I've only rode a TS MH chassis, TS Aro very little with a little time on a RIOT, little demo time on a 2017 MotoTrax. Look forward to hearing some others thoughts that have actually owned them.

Curiosity of options always gets me thinking. I went from Sled to Snowhawk for a couple years a few years back. IMO the Snowhawk just wasn't quite ready to go to market. I spent way to much time researching and trying to fix all the little issues. In the end back to sled. For the last couple years I have had both sled and snowbike set ups. This year I will roll on just my Husky / Camso combo for another season.
I love options we are starting to see and can't wait to see the future of the sport.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
No experience with snow tech. I have 250 or so hrs on a 2017 Mototrax. The pivoting suspension has merit (like the narrow rail yeti and camso). Compared to my yeti and ts kits I prefer my modified mototrax in the tight trees.
Ive worked on the mototrax a lot. looking at the 2020 model I think they have made some improvements but one of the biggest issues that causes durability problems has not been fixed imo. The rear slide joint still does not articulate with the main heim joint on the motolink. The rear joint is held at a stationary perpendicular angle while the front main joint articulates on the heim joint. I think a heim joint at the rear slide joint would allow the suspension to lean with less binding and in combination with the new dampener rear arm would make it more durable while maintaining the benefit of pivot.

S
Sep 2, 2016
Park City, UTAH
3rd season racing & backcountry on a SnowTech, never had even one issue or needed to tighten a bolt. Upgraded the track (yeti track) & center shock (zbroz). Overall, the SnowTech is hard to beat for the quality, performance & the reliability (especially when deep in the bc).
Please feel free to ask me any questions about my Snowtech.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Curiosity of options always gets me thinking. I went from Sled to Snowhawk for a couple years a few years back. IMO the Snowhawk just wasn't quite ready to go to market. I spent way to much time researching and trying to fix all the little issues. In the end back to sled. For the last couple years I have had both sled and snowbike set ups. This year I will roll on just my Husky / Camso combo for another season.
I love options we are starting to see and can't wait to see the future of the sport.

That is what we always say about the snowhawk. It was the prototype and they went well good enough ship em....

As far as kits go I dont see any real game changers. Once A complete from the ground up chassis is made it will just be a kit bolted to a bike.
If I was to get into snowbiking right this second Id go pick up a used raw 120 for cheap and run the piss out of it.

I tried getting in with mototrax on producing parts for them but that was right before the buy out and never heard from them again. Seems like they are trying to get the bugs worked out. I like the skid but unsure how it performs in the deep. Reminds me of the expert skids. They handle bumps great but deep snow performance is lacking.

Ive never heard anything bad about snowtech. Jaron(owner) and I say we will ride together every year but it just doesnt seem to happen.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
That is what we always say about the snowhawk. It was the prototype and they went well good enough ship em....

As far as kits go I dont see any real game changers. Once A complete from the ground up chassis is made it will just be a kit bolted to a bike.
If I was to get into snowbiking right this second Id go pick up a used raw 120 for cheap and run the piss out of it.

I tried getting in with mototrax on producing parts for them but that was right before the buy out and never heard from them again. Seems like they are trying to get the bugs worked out. I like the skid but unsure how it performs in the deep. Reminds me of the expert skids. They handle bumps great but deep snow performance is lacking.

Ive never heard anything bad about snowtech. Jaron(owner) and I say we will ride together every year but it just doesnt seem to happen.
For me besides reliability on the mototrax for sure powder performance was lacking... now mine used the old timbersled track so I am sure that had a lot to do with it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Why are you not looking at CMX. Honestly the best kit on the market!

CMX, Yeti and Timbersled grab most of our attention. I made the post to help gather information on kits that we just don't hear much about. This is a great forum loaded with info. Hoping this post adds more quality info!

O
Feb 23, 2017
2 1/2 seasons on 17 mototrax. Got everywhere I tried. Just not as easy as other people. Bought a 18 raw, and realized what I was missing out on. Mototrax performs well on hard packed, groomed trails, back country it sucks.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Never road a snowtech but it looks bomb proof and would/should be in the same league or better than all the ts kits prior to riot. A bit better marketing is all they need.

If you want a tilty track (I don't) I would take an updated Mototrax over a camso any day. But MTX still got a few kinks to work out, so to say I wouldn't but one new but wouldn't turn down a deal on a used one with all the updates and 2.5" paddles and a ts ski.

If all you ride is pow the camso is a good option but the ski and suspension sucks in hard snow and the low divers/front side plates are the most vulnerable to rock damage.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I spent 3 years on Snowtech kits.. I've spent a lot of time on TImbersleds and Yetis. Had friends with motohax kits but I could never even ride them as they were always broken down halfway from the truck. Snowtech is hands down the most durable, problem free kit on the market. Any snowtech 2017-on is 100% bulletproof and has a ton of suspension travel. And I say this being that I don't even have one this year..

Z
May 15, 2017
Kamloops B.C.
I don't have any experience with Snowtech, but this will be my third season on a 2018 Factory edition Mototrax. I ride with timbersleds/Camsos/Yetis. I have had zero issues with my kit and would happily buy another one. I think way to many people are hung up on the 2017 kits, yes they were not great, but they have fixed pretty much all of the issues. I haven't had to do any repairs to mine other than self inflicted damage. I ride in the steep and deep in BC and I go everywhere that I ever want to and my Mototrax is noticeably more nimble in the tight technical tree stuff. Anytime I have had a question or anything, the customer service has been fast and thorough. None of the kits that we ride with out perform the others in any major way. I think that rider skill and bike choice have a lot more to do with it.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
The snowtech is basically a hand made piece of precision ART.. Its not a mass produced item and it shows. Jarron was not interested in really selling thousands of kits, quality is his driver. I Happen to have a 137 in new condition if anyone is interested Pm me or call the shop.

T

TQUIRL

Nov 24, 2010
Pocatello, Idaho
EAA05074-A1A6-4A46-A36C-50E39A2F8BB2.jpeg
I’m going into my 4th season on my 2017 snowtech 129”. This year I’m upgrading to the newer multi-position ski spindle. (Adjustable for rake) If somebody wants a bulletproof billet aluminum spindle I’ve got one for you. Every year when I pull the kit out of the shed and look it over I think: This will be the year I need to fix something. NOPE. I just grease it, check the air pressure in the shock, check the belt tension, make sure the bolts are tight (I’ve never had to tighten one), and then bolt it on and go ride. This thing is absolutely bulletproof. I’m running the second gen yeti MaxtrakII. It’s much stiffer than the original and a really good all around track. I’d like to upgrade to the current CMX/camso/yeti track but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve ridden camso, timbersled (both mountainhorse and ARO), and Mototrax. I’ve Been around the CMX kits, somehow never thrown a leg over one though, and I’ve never even seen a yeti in person in my area. In my experience they are all fun and mostly capable kits. In my opinion though, nothing beats the value of the reliability of my snowtech. For what that’s worth.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
Well I can give some feedback on the Mototrax with my limited experience for what it's worth.
I purchased a 2017 137 new with all the updates done last February and put it on a kx500.
As I say my experience is limited, I have only ridden my set up and a couple camsos on a crf450 and a xc300. As far as my set up I only got in half a dozen rides last year as I work a lot in the winter and I had to do a rebuild on the kx500 when I bought it.
As far as build quality the Mototrax only gave me issues with the tunnel and rear bar rattling off. Design flaw was the bolt's were only threading into one side of the pipe, couple threads maximum. Fix was easy, drill right through the pipe and install longer bolts and nylock nuts. Been issue free since.
Riding wise, my snowbiking experience is limited, but I have ridden and raced dirt bikes my entire life, sledded over 20years, and skied my entire life, I even work as a heli ski guide in the winter, so I have some experience around deep snow.
To me the trail manners of my set up are horrible, worse than the camsos I tried. But once I get in the pow I am blown away at how nimble it is, I can hook hard on a dime, and the track does not feel long at all. It climbs amazingly, imo it will out climb my 02 summit 700 in a straight shot. I also have not been able to get it stuck even with some effort. Last winter wasn't the deepest in BC but I still had it out in 75cm of fresh and I had no problems with trenching. It really seems to plane high in the snow. I know I could have easily got my 700 stuck in the same situation.
My track definitely spins alot and does not want to wheely, but the wheelys could be put down to new rider error....
Loving the kx500, could pull 4th gear huge hill climbs forever last spring.

IMG_20190813_142912.jpg IMG_20190425_113240_exported_266_1558106535744.jpg

Premium Features