• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor rebuild help please

sledr4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
After rebuilding several zx summit 800 and feeling pretty comfortable doing so we are now rebuilding our first 08 800 PTek.

The motor has about 3000 mile on it and we took it to a local machine shop to get the crank bearings replaced and trued up.

Upon completion we are being told to do the following and some of it does not make sense. Please let me know what you think.

Use ProX dual ring pistons - have always used OEM or SPI single ring. I have not even heard of Pro X. Are they any good and why duel ring? I talked to the dealer and they feel that if skidoo though dual ring was better, they would be using them?

We are also being told not to use the 5 hole base gasket that was in it from the factory and that it will burn down if we ride it MN. This sled has many miles on it here as well as out west and have had no issues. Thoughts?

Thanks,
m

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
I rebuilt my 800 ptek from the ground up last season. I used dual ring pistons and used dual rings in all my ski doo motors. The extra ring helps dissipate heat which is apparently a big deal with the ski doo 800's. The gaskets whether it is a 5 hole or an 8 hole is a matter of thickness. Your piston manufacture should inform you on what thickness to use with their pistons. You'll like the way it maintains power with the 2 ring set up.good luck

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Pro X pistons have been around for a long time but just now getting into the Doo 800 like so many others.

It is a good cast replacement piston. Like all the others except Snow X pistons they use Wiseco rings.

You will want to use the 8 hole gasket as with the dual ring pistons you will have more compression.

Premium Features