• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Most Trouble Free 100k Mile Diesel

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Need to pick up a used 1 ton before spring here. My price range puts me in the 2011-2013 year range, and usually right around 100K miles. Since no one made a gas engine of any interest in those years in the bigger trucks, pretty committed to looking at a diesel.

Somewhat terrified of expensive problems/issues, coming from many many years of trouble-free Toyota 4x4's. So guys that have experience with similar trucks, what brand seems to be the "best bet" in those years from a reliability/dependability standpoint of engine/tranny/chassis components? Or anything that would downtime/big expense. Good, bad, or whatever experiences....not partial to any brand. Will not see a ton of miles, and will likely never see an interstate. But will see lots of dirt road and 4x4 use while loaded and/or towing.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Cummins first, Dmax next. Bang for the buck for your use. If it was highway I'd go Dmax first. A LMM/LML dmax can easily be deleted, especially the 2011. Like the Pstroke, but not before 14 or after the 7.3. 17 up Pstroke is likely the best since 2016. Drive a 17 L5P now, only been in the shop once after losing a temp sensor from the charge tube. So I've had good luck, so far, but it's a mileage rig.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Cummins are the easiest to find used for whatever reason, so that's nice. I usually avoid Dodges just for my own brand bias, but for this I'm willing to look at all. Pre 2014 6.7 Fords not so hot eh?

Would you be deleting the Dmax because of the problems with the def system? I don't care about performance/go fast or fuel economy. All will have plenty of power stock for me and every vehicle made gets terrible fuel economy where I live....so I would be inclined to leave everything OEM.

Last edited:
D

Dawizman

Feb 9, 2014
The Cummins of this time period are solid, but they really need to be deleted for the highest reliability. Especially the pre DEF trucks (prior to 2013).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

A
Feb 16, 2014
Growing up in a family that always had Chevy trucks, I naturally followed the trend and currently have an '08 LMM Duramax. That said, I am NOT brand loyal and am open to Ford or Dodge, as well. My personal experience is the following:

1. My LMM has 200k miles. The truck is DPF deleted and has a small tune. Aside from normal maintenance, the motor (knock on wood) has been solid. Most of my repairs have been with replacing front end components... But half of its life, the truck had a maxed out leveling kit and now is running a 6" lift and 35's, so there is little doubt that these modifications contributed to part wear.

2. My Dad has an '11 LML Duramax with approx. 100k miles. Truck is completely stock. Aside from a couple of Emission (first year DEF issues, all covered under warranty), the truck has been solid.

3. Years ago a buddy had an '08 F350 6.4 Powerstroke that he purchased new. Beautiful truck with a leveling kit and 35's. Unfortunately, he had nothing but problems with the truck. He actually tried to get it covered under the lemon law, but to no avail. Fortunately, after much complaining to Ford, they did cover his repairs under an extended warranty that they pushed to 100k for him. According to him, the amount of repairs totaled $25-30k. He did get rid of the truck right before turning 100k and traded it in for another Powerstroke, the 6.7, which he loves and has been solid (so go figure!).

Haven't been around the Cummins much, so don't have a lot of knowledge on them.

This is my 2 cents. Again I am not brand loyal. I love my Duramax, but it is not perfect. Good luck!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Regarding deletes - particularly in the early years of SCT - 12/13 - there are more issues, as the tech was still under development and SCT was essentially an OEM bolt-on to existing platforms mandated by the EPA. Just much more prone to issues. Deleting properly eliminates the issues, and the delete kits are proven, well known, and won't be available much longer as the EPA will only increase the crackdown on their sale. I have many friends and family as diesel truck owners - many running them in professions - excavating, well drilling, trucking - and sledders/RV pullers. A complete mix of Cummins, P-stroke, D-max, every model type, 02-20. Have also worked with defense OEMs who develop and consume these motors (e.g., the banks D-max). They all have strengths and weaknesses. But...

Avoid Ford 6.0s. They need substantial hardening to avoid major problems, and just aren't worth it. They can be made solid, but why go through the hassle? 6.4 are better, but also not worth the hassles for what you can get used in a Cummins or D-max. Every motor type and chassis have some well-known issues -mostly minor if you get to them early - and that's to your advantage, you can predict what will happen with each model once you know the condition of what you have. Which means - choose wisely - I'd get the most stock unit I could afford, so you are not cleaning up someone else's misadventures. Research is simple, so are many fixes. Provided the patient isn't a basket case. Avoid the already modded trucks, better to create your own issues, so to speak. JMHO.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks that's good stuff. Yes, the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 weren't on the list, been there done that at work years ago. I hear ya, I would only buy a (mechanically) stock truck regardless of brand, and regardless of what I would do with.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Had 2012 ford 6.7 was good no problems traded it off at 100000. I know of several other 11 and 12 ford that were good also. Great work truck. Also solid front axle for off road.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I think the most common issue with the 11-14 powerstrokes is the exhaust manifold/gaskets can warp and leak. According to my diesel mechanic friend early ones used ceramic bearings in the turbos that were more susceptible to failure from shock. Ford changed that after the first/mid-next year.

My dad is maintenance and repair foreman for a natural gas company in far northern Montana. They have the worst luck with Ram trucks using them off-road. Not so much engine, but everything from electrical, transmissions. front ends, windows breaking and falling out, etc. Everything just seems to fall apart on them. I think the Cummins is a good engine, but I wouldn't run one for the sake of the rest of the truck.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I have a 2018 Ram, have had no issues, prior had a 2017 Ram, loved it more but a gravel truck on the highway led to me getting the 18, also no issues.
Prior to that had a 04.5 Ram, sold it to get the 17 at the time had 286000 miles, 250000 were with compound turbo's injectors, tranny, etc.

I am not brand loyal but have had good luck with the Cummins motors.

Now thinking of longevity, I would love to find another 04.5 hell for that matter an old 12 valve without the damn computers and emissions.
Now everything is not designed to last, computers electronics, million miles of wires, electrical connections sensors and you cant add a damn thing without telling the computer you added it.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
What do you mean no one makes a gas engine of interest? You want “Toyota reliability”? A 6.2 Ford or 6.0 GM will do that for you.
Diesel, if you’re leaving it stock, could have emissions issues.
2011-13 imo a Duramax is the only one I’d consider with a automatic . Early 6.7 Fords were better than before but have a few known issues and Ram still had the old emissions system. But I’d absolutely run a deleted G56 trans Ram for reliability.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks for the replies! Driven some 6.0l GM’s, they get the job done but are such a slug. Maybe the newer ones are better. Also it’s pretty much impossible to find a gas 3/4 or 1 ton in a decent trim level up here. They are spec’d as work trucks and that’s about it.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I love my 2012 6.7L powerstroke. I bought my truck at 109,000 miles and currently at 175,000 miles. Nothing but regular maintenance, been extremely happy with this truck!

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have a 2011 Dmax that I bought off the lot in the fall of 11 - 169,000 miles on it. Overall it has been solid with a few minor things, it was the first year with DEF so I had to put up with the the normal crap (reflashes etc).

Out of warranty items so far have been a few glow plugs and the DEF tank heater.

IMO when buying used you can shoot for brand X with engine Y - but it also boils down to the owner. Try to be patient and find a good used unit (any brand) that a retired couple pulled their 5th wheel around with.... Those are the cleanest ones that have not been abused IMO.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
IMO when buying used you can shoot for brand X with engine Y - but it also boils down to the owner. Try to be patient and find a good used unit (any brand) that a retired couple pulled their 5th wheel around with.... Those are the cleanest ones that have not been abused IMO.
Fair enough. I've followed that rule of thumb for years buying/selling and never been burned too bad, definitely agree. Of course with stupid Covid everyone buys everything as fast as it comes on the market, so the used truck scene up here is SLIM pickings....lame

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I've had good luck with Cummins trucks. Have a 14 and had an 01 and 03.

One thing not mentioned is the dreaded CP4 pump that plagues the 11 on up Powerstrokes and 11-16 Duramax trucks. If these fail, it can be a $10k+ bill. That was the biggest reason to stay Cummins when I bought my 14.

Ram switched to these on the 19-20 Cummins, but realized what POS they are and switched back to the CP3 for 2021.

That being said I like the Duramax but not crazy about the IFS. I like the Ford truck but I won't touch a Powerstroke. Had an Ecoboost and was very happy with it. Tows great and if you don't need a HD truck, its the way to go IMO.

P
Jan 10, 2021
I’ve had 92, 96, 97, 05, and now a 16 Cummins. Really have only put a lot of miles on the last 2. Sold my 05 (manual) at 199k miles. Only thing other than regular maintenance I ever had to do was replace the AC system. Was a great truck. I’m at 95k on my 16 Cummins now (original owner). And no issues at all. My only complaint is it EATS tires. But if that’s all I have to deal with I’m happy.

My 96/97 Cummins 12v were great until I added some power to them, almost immediately had to replace trannys.

I’ve also had a few Powerstrokes and they were okay, just personally didn’t really like driving them. Sold them early on so didn’t really put enough miles on them to have an input.

Also had one duramax, an 03. It was a great truck besides IFS issues. Living in the mountains I had to replace front end parts fairly often.

If I was going to drive a gasser instead, the ONLY one I’d buy is an Ecoboost f150.

Premium Features