• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mod Existing Sled or Buy Newer?

B
Dec 14, 2010
Hello All,

I have a lower mileage 2011 artic cat M8. Everything is stock other than the can. It has the front stock end (about 42” wide). If I man handle it the best I can (I’m only 160lbs) I can get the sled to side hill and cut the way I want it to but I’m exhausted quickly.

Considering getting a 36” front end kit from Alt Impact but not sure if I’d be better off selling my sled and upgrading to something like a 2013-2017 skidoo, arctic cat or Polaris 600? (trying to stay away from the pros with 800s during those years)

Main thing I’m trying to accomplish is easier maneuverability and easy to start/hold side hill. Power and clutching (Team primary) is good for me as it is

B
Dec 14, 2010
I called Alt Impact and they said that it should dramatically change how much say to the sled will layover and side hill. For only $500, I’m tempted to keep this sled (it’s been a great sled) and put the 36.5” front end on it

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Your ski stance is easily adjustable down to 39”, if it is stock, and it will not cost you anything.

I would try that first.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the input. If I was looking for 2013-2015 skidoos, what should I watch out for?
Coldfinger is right on. Upgrading to a 2.6 powerclaw track might be another good value for you that won't break the bank and put you at mechanical risk in the used sled market. Won't help the handling but might put more fun factor in your M. Ride an XM before you buy one. The handling is altogether different. Some like them some don't. You might include a newer M in your search, like a 2016 or 2017. Then you could stay with the Suzuki.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Right now is a poor time in history to buy a sled. About the only time it’s good to be selling. Lots of polairs axys out there that would fit the bill also. I switched to pol cause I didn’t like Xm chassis.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right now is a poor time in history to buy a sled. About the only time it’s good to be selling. Lots of polairs axys out there that would fit the bill also. I switched to pol cause I didn’t like Xm chassis.
Used sleds have NEVER COMMANDED such a high premium as they do today!

C
Mar 15, 2018
I used to ride an M series and I went down the mod route. I later upgraded to an XM (14 and then 16) and it was a night and day difference.

Get the new sled.
And I just went from a '14 XM 800 163 to a '22 850 165 and the difference is significant. I find I have
Technology really has come a LONG WAYS since 2011
While moding is WILDLY CHEAPER, the newer sleds will simply handle MUCH BETTER intrinsically by design.
I went from a 2014 XM to a 2022 Get 4 and the difference in readability is remarkable. While that IS 8 years on the calendar, it is only a single generation. I rode a friends 800 summit.........an '06 or '08 or something like that and it was HORRIBLE compared to my XM and my Gan4 is that much better again. Point is, I don't think it matters what brand, every generation is better than the previous so the latest generation you can get, the better.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I had a 2010 M8 that i did all kinds of stuff to, went to a 2014 prormk, it was night and day. Axys with react front end is another night and day. Buy a new sled

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
IMO a 2011 m8 is a very solid machine. Do some simple upgrades and enjoy it till this market settles or till you can afford a new one.

I’d start with 36” A arms, revalving the suspension(use Darrin mees at M9) and a proper bar set up(lower the better)

C
Nov 29, 2008
I had a 2010 M8 that i did all kinds of stuff to, went to a 2014 prormk, it was night and day. Axys with react front end is another night and day. Buy a new sled

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
2016-2022 800 Axys is virtually the same set up / geometry .... Aftermarket narrow front - tougher.
Chopped tunnel is not overly difficult.
2013-15 pro gears are close to QD2.
Add a cooler and you're still 1/2 the $ of new.
Doesn't always have to be new to have fun. Loads of riders with the fully dressed new sleds still can't ride worth a #k. Most cannot use capabilities of their older sleds. There's a few riders that can but for most, $$$ would be better spent on a better diet!

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Narrow the M, get a 2.6 or 3in powerclaw and u will have a very capable machine.
The heavy steering will be the only downfall compared to new.

I still miss my old M.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hello All,

I have a lower mileage 2011 artic cat M8. Everything is stock other than the can. It has the front stock end (about 42” wide). If I man handle it the best I can (I’m only 160lbs) I can get the sled to side hill and cut the way I want it to but I’m exhausted quickly.

Considering getting a 36” front end kit from Alt Impact but not sure if I’d be better off selling my sled and upgrading to something like a 2013-2017 skidoo, arctic cat or Polaris 600? (trying to stay away from the pros with 800s during those years)

Main thing I’m trying to accomplish is easier maneuverability and easy to start/hold side hill. Power and clutching (Team primary) is good for me as it is
What is “lower mileage?”

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
if you can afford it i would upgrade to a 14 or new cat. i went from an M to a 14 cat and it was so much better. The M's are good sleds and very reliable but just dont handle like the newer stuff. a 16 or newer cat has updated front end and they arent as much as the ascender chassis sleds. now im on an 18 cat and i love it the difference from my 14 to this is as large as the difference between the M and a 14.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Hello All,

I had an ‘11 I really liked.
Then a ‘14 I updated to 16 I liked even better. Now I have an ‘18 that blows them all away. All kinds of upgrades to it but I’m going to be finished with it.

You should Buy it, it’s for sale. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features