• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Missing lugs - when to replace? (Skidoo Summit T3)

T
Dec 13, 2020
Hey all,

I just upgraded to a 2016 Summit X T3 165 from an older Polaris. I bought the sled from a family that took incredible care of their machines. The only issue was the track was missing 4 lugs on the outside edge of the track. I got a really good deal because of this but would love to know everyones opinion on whether or not I should replace the track? I inspected the track and all the lugs broke off ABOVE the actual track. So, there really isn't any damage to integrity of the track itself. Ive done some research and it seems like the lugs on the 3" track are notorious for shearing off.

I really dont want to have to drop $1300 on a new track but also don't want to run my new machine with a track that is going to greatly affect the riding capability or be dangerous. From what I read, the missing lugs shouldn't be a huge issue at all, but welcome any insight from you all. Im still relatively new to the sport and trying to figure things out.

Thanks!
Caleb

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Anything high speed on a 3 inch Doo track will shed lugs. Depends on snow conditions, but speed makes heat and they flip lugs. I saw a track from a local guy, almost EVERY outside lug was gone, all he had was some centers. But he rode trail almost 100 percent, at speed to get to cabin. I keep it below 50 on the trail of lake, have never lost one. I would say run your new rig, enjoy it, and if it ever gets to the point where it is falling apart, get a new one. Stock or aftermarket. The track won't fail from the paddles flipping off.

T
Dec 13, 2020
Perfect, just what I was looking for @Devilmanak. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm riding mostly in the deep powder and don't think 4-5 missing lugs is worth buying a $1300 track.

Premium Features