• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Minnesota Riding Info

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Hey Guys, wondering the best places to ride in Minnesota area closest to Iowa. Buddy's and I are looking for weekend alternatives/small riding trips to get more miles on this year.
mostly 155" one 144"
we like to side hill get in some trees/powerlines and have a good time. I know it wont be like Wyoming but any "off trail" type of riding for the area would be fine for us.

Any Input is Appreciated thanks!

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'd help out but all of my riding is on the other end of the state which is about a 7ish hour drive from the Iowa border I believe. So I'm not sure what kidn fo off trail you have in that part of the state but maybe someone can chim in on it.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I can only speak for northern MN but I'm not sure you are going to find much side hilling here. We know some ares but it takes a fair amount of snow. A lot of trail and lake riding here. The north shore of Lake Superior gets the most in the snow in MN. If you can hit it right the Upper Peninsula in Michigan (the UP) can get crazy snow. As can NE Wisconsin. Both are on the south side of Lake Superior.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
If you'll drive 7 hours, drive 8 and go to the u.p. Like they said if timed right it's about the best riding short of going west. You just have to be flexible and go when the snow hits because it gets hammered.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
If you'll drive 7 hours, drive 8 and go to the u.p. Like they said if timed right it's about the best riding short of going west. You just have to be flexible and go when the snow hits because it gets hammered.

I love riding MN because we can ride from our cabin but hamllin is right. For the drive its tough to beat the UP for deep snow. And when you catch it right you can end up in some insane deep snow.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Just like every where else the best time would be during the week. The biggest problem with the U.P. is a lot of times they are the ONLY one that has snow and everybody and their mother knows about it. How far are you guys from the Bighorns?

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
appreciate the responses! from the sound of it, it does sound worth making a trip. im about 10 hours roughly from the big horns. most would probably recommend going to the big horns I assume?

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I live right in the middle of MN. about 3.5-4 hours from the IA border. Our groomer hasn't left the shed in two seasons. I quit trail riding. Sold the trail sled. If it gets deep I'll ride the area around Voyageurs National Park. Might try the North Shore if the opportunity comes around. We are 11-12 from the Bighorns.

If I was you, I would focus on the Snowys or the Bighorns, you're going to drive 6-7 hours to get to marginal riding in Northern Mn and the locals will most likely beat you to the good stuff unless your timing is perfect.

I have found a bad day in the BigHorns is usually better than a great day here in MN.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I agree with D Steve. I have not snowmobiled the Bighorns (one word) in years but we actually had pretty good luck there for the most part, and that was in late December, early January. Keep in mind that the Bighorns are known for land mines. Normally their best snow is late in the season.
Here is a good link to keep tabs on whats going on there. They do an awesome job.
http://www.bearlodgeresort.com/

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
anyone do some ditch riding after this last snow? My short track friends are wanting to get some riding in next weekend didn't know if it would be worth it? if the ditches are full they would be happy (Dec. 3rd weekend)

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
anyone do some ditch riding after this last snow? My short track friends are wanting to get some riding in next weekend didn't know if it would be worth it? if the ditches are full they would be happy (Dec. 3rd weekend)

I heard people were riding in the Brainerd lakes area. BUT sounds like watmer weather this week. Which I would think that since the ground was warm when it snowed (not good) and temps in the 40's this week, conditikbs may not be good. That being said, I may go riding just because a little snow is better than no snow.
GOOD LUCK, SAFE RIDING
See Brainerd Area thread, this forum
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420228

Last edited:

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
This will probably be the last weekend of riding in the Brainerd area until we get snow again. It's supposed to get into the 40's and rain on Tuesday.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
any riding being done around Minneapolis/Hutchinson Area? will be that way possibly to see family would like to get some seat time

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
I'm 20 minutes north of Brainerd and there has been a lot of sleds out this past week. Trails are groomed also from what I've seen. I haven't been out it's been too damn cold but I think theres plenty to ride on.

Premium Features