• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MIG Welder Review - not really swap meet material

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Since there isn't much of a Tools section, I'll post here.

I'm looking to upgrade my MIG welder and looking for reviews. I would like to stay with a 110V unit, gas, .023 & .030 wire size primarily welding mild steel.

My current welder is about 20 years old, non-name brand which has worked but I would like to get one that is better at thinner and thicker metal from what this one will do consistently.

I'm thinking the Lincoln 140 or Miller 141 might be good but the Hobart may be an option as well.

Thoughts?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hobart.
Made by miller exact same machine, lower price.

The 140 ish size works great.

The 210 small size is a great value with 3/8"-1/2" capacity with gas.

R
Dec 24, 2011
I upgraded form the 110V welders to a relatively small 220V unit and was super happy. If you can swing the input power in your garage I would suggest you consider it. I am using a Millermatic 210 with spoolgun for aluminum. LOVE IT. It is 10 years old now so I don't know what the current model is, but it was basically their smallest 220V MIG.

A friend went through 3 different 110V Lincolns and they all sucked. Different problem with each one. He finally got his money back and bought the Miller (135 at the time) and it has been flawless. I welded with both the Lincoln and the Miller and the Miller was a lot better. Power output and wire speed were more consistent.

Good Luck.

L

letrbuck

Jun 6, 2013
Montana
hobart 140

I have a hobart 140 all the components are miller and alot cheaper "than a "blue one" had great luck with it it'll cover most any of your basic stuff have it setup for aluminum now with argon cylinder dont believe all the talk you need a 220 and a spool gun for that either it'll 100% penetrate 3/16

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I like the portability of my current 110V unit as I can stretch an extension cord to just about any job. I do have 220V wired in the garage so that isn't an issue. I was thinking of a dual voltage so I still had the mobility but I could use the higher voltage for thicker metal jobs. I'm not sure I would end up using it for aluminum since a guy I ride with can do TIG work for me when needed. Not ruling out aluminum as an option as there is usually something laying around that I would weld if I could.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Millermatic 211 is what I have. Kind of the best of both worlds at a fair price. They can run off 110 or 220 and it does work very well on the 110 setting. Ive built a couple race car chassis with it and use it for a variety of repair projects. Smooth operating and nice welds. No issues at all. It also has an auto set feature that sets the temp and wire speed for you based off material thickness that works surprisingly well. Eric

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Millermatic 211 is what I have. Kind of the best of both worlds at a fair price. They can run off 110 or 220 and it does work very well on the 110 setting. Ive built a couple race car chassis with it and use it for a variety of repair projects. Smooth operating and nice welds. No issues at all. It also has an auto set feature that sets the temp and wire speed for you based off material thickness that works surprisingly well. Eric

What he said....hands down!

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Hobart MVP

I picked up a Hobart MVP a couple of years ago and love it. It works ith 110 or 220 by just an adapter plug (it comes with the welder). You can buy a spool gun for it as well. It welds better then I do. Have used it to build sled decks, ramps, and some demo derby cars. Very happy with it, as good as a miller at half the price.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Anyone have experience with an aluminum spool gun on a 220V wire feed?

Just wondering if that is worth the effort to find a machine that will do that.

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com
Anyone have experience with an aluminum spool gun on a 220V wire feed?

Just wondering if that is worth the effort to find a machine that will do that.

They work, but they are noisy. They also smoke a lot and create some wicked fumes. If you're going to build a trailer or sled deck or a dock it's a decent tool for the job. For what its worth we have one laying in the shop and although they are fast, I'd rather TIG weld anything over using it.

Bryan

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I would just buy a everlast tig welder. A guy can get into 1 for cheap and They have great reviews.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Al welding

if your can only afford one, get a tig welder and learn to use it.

welding aluminum all day on various customer projects its really a matter of different goals differrent projects.

Inside welds on plate building boxes, headache racks, loading ramps, use a wire gun.

Lots of smaller critical aluminum welds, outside edges, no voids critical, use a tig welder. Make nice looking steel tubing welds go tig.

One is not better, just different. again own only one go tig.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Pulled the pin on a Hobart 210 MVP. Should be here next week.

I am intrigued with the idea of a TIG but have absolutely no experience with one or enough projects to learn on it I guess.

Premium Features