• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Middle of Nowhere

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Most counties in the lower 48 have more miles of road then our entire state. But then, for sledders at least, our limited road system translates into jumping off points to access millions of acres of true backcountry.

I ride some hills along a 135 mile dirt "highway" that doesn't get plowed in winter. 65 sled miles to my friend's year-round lodge. There's another spot I like on the south side of Denali Nat'l Park, a big, high bowl that's 35ish miles from the parking lot. The run in starts on groomed trails, drops into a river run that can be 20 miles of powder, then a long climb up a hogback that is a playground all in itself. All that before we get to "the spot" where the "real" riding begins. 10 gallons spare gas is pretty common--enough to get there, ride and make it back to the truck/cabin.

It's a major drive to get to AK just to ride, so plan on a whole month!! Mid March to mid April is the sweetness.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Those maps are completely inaccurate unless they count waterways as highways, and airstrips, rivers, and lakes as "Airports".

While "completely" is IMO an overstatement. Most of the highways are legitimate roads. If they included rivers as highways they neglected to include some of the major rivers such as the Yukon, Tanana, Koyukuk and others, that are how a lot of the bush Alaskans actually get their freight, fuel, etc.

After all this is Alaska and our standards of what is considered a highway or an airport is far below what most of the people in the lower 48 would consider acceptable. Here in places a overgrown goat trail is a highway to some. As it can be the only way to travel between villages. Additionally a 200-300 foot stretch with out large trees is an airstrip regardless of the size of the rocks, tundra heaves, or even open water for the more adventurous pilots. If you doubt me, Youtube search Big Rocks & Long Props? It will enlighten you to what some are willing to consider an "airport".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwskg_5xrlU

Last edited:
Premium Features