• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MI DNR to start heavy Sound Meter Testing

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
FYI. If you think your sled is loud you will get a ticket. 88 db @ 4,000 rpm. During testing a stock Arctic Cat M8 failed at 91 db. A 2014 RMK 600 with stock kidney bean squeaked by with a 86.5 db. If you plan to ride in Michigan and have an aftermarket can, you will fail, you will receive a ticket. Good luck to all of us with "quiet" aftermarket cans. Mine, skinz super q, failed with a 97 db. And it is one of the quiet ones on the market. BMP, GGB, Skinz, HPS, SLP, etc. all failed testing. So, just prepare yourself and don't say that nobody warned you.

Post up, once or if, you receive a ticket, stock or otherwise. I have heard that it will not matter if it is stock or aftermarket, they are being ordered to issue tickets upon failure.

Apparently, Marquette County Court is not a good place to end up. 2 stock exhaust sleds lost their cases in this court.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Friend of mine just got one last weekend down in the Gaylord area. Too me this whole Db check is BS, they are going off of specs that are outdated back when seeing a 800 on the trail was a rare thing. No matter what you put on those machines it's still going to be loud, the bigger the explosion the louder the bang. I know my 900 switchback is loud with stock can.

If I were you I would send a letter to the governor's office and state your case as to what is going on. He is the one that pushes snowmobiling and realizes it boosts the economy in all Michigan counties. They start ticketing sleds that are just above their so called legal limit and you are going to force sledders to go elsewhere, Wisconsin, Minnesota and beyond.

Leave it to law enforcement to start ticketing big for the small things.

scottdog

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 23, 2014
Tickets

I was talking with some buddies about going to MI to ride, After reading this screw it we will take our money to CO.

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
I like riding in Michigan so this concerns me. I would hope they would do some research on new federally legal sleds to have a base line for testing. If I got a ticket on my bone stock sled I would probably quit riding MI. Also I would be furious.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
No problems with ticketing very loud sleds with aftermarket cans. I have a huge problem with getting a ticket for a completely stock sled I have a huge problem with getting a ticket for a completely stock sled though!!!! Sounds like some main land BS!

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
This weekend I watched two stock polaris switchbacks get tickets west of Raco area. They were Pro S models and with stock everything they got tickets. I sat there with my engine off like we were taking a break until the DNR left as I knew since those stock machines got tickets I would get one for sure on my sled with a aftermarket can. They came over and talked with us and we all agreed that it was some total Horse$#!t. With what little snow we have right now and at the price of our trail permits I can tell you that those two riders will not come back to michigan again.

SuperAir

Lifetime Membership
Apr 20, 2015
I will do a little digging on this over the coming week/weekend. If anyone can find a copy of the test standard please PM me. I found it on ANSI but they want $74 for a copy. The info is copyright protected and very difficult to obtain without buying it. Maybe someone can email the state of Michigan DNR and see if they will "mistakenly" send you a copy. I think I can piece enough info together to come up with the procedure but would like to try to get it as accurate as possible The SAE J2567 test has been modified from its original version to allow sleds to be tested at 2500rpm instead of 4000 rpm. The new test procedure is outlined in J2641 201511. It also lowers the limit from 88DB to I believe around 82-83. Does anyone know if the test used was at 4000 or 2500?

I have a stock 2015 RMK 600 and I also have a type 2 meter that I use regularly for sound testing on motorcycles. I will try to get some numbers on that sled this coming weekend to compare to what was posted above for the stock 2014.

I have been decibel testing motorcycles according to SAE standards for 10 years and have gone back and forth with the State Police here on several occasions about proper testing and procedures as they sometimes issue tickets based on erroneous readings due to faulty procedure ( ie lack of any real training)

Something is wrong. The people at SAE have been developing sound standards for surface vehicles for a long time. If stock sleds are not passing the test there is a problem most likely with the procedure being used. The test is designed to be performed on a packed snow parking lot so that has already been taken into consideration. I'm not an advocate for loud cans but no one should be getting harassed for riding a stock sled.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Are these the correct standards:

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and when in constant operation noise emission cannot exceed the following levels:

For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1977 and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 78 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J192.
For a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980 and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.
The penalty for violating the sound levels for snowmobiles is a civil infraction, with fines up to $250.

Found in this article: http://mynorth.com/2015/03/dnr-reminds-snowmobilers-of-sound-decibel-limits/

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Are these the correct standards:

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and when in constant operation noise emission cannot exceed the following levels:

For snowmobiles manufactured after July 1, 1977 and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 78 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2003 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J192.
For a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980 and sold or offered for sale in Michigan, 88 decibels at 50 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567.
The penalty for violating the sound levels for snowmobiles is a civil infraction, with fines up to $250.

Found in this article: http://mynorth.com/2015/03/dnr-reminds-snowmobilers-of-sound-decibel-limits/

Yep, that's whats being emailed out throughout he Sault Snowmobile Association.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Just what an already struggling sport needs. Friends were pulled over outside of Grand Marais last weekend in there sting. Neither were tested but the officers said they had cited a couple sleds that day but in most cases they pushed everyone through. Apparently they know what there looking for, how they know is suspicious at the very least!

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
This weekend I watched two stock polaris switchbacks get tickets west of Raco area. They were Pro S models and with stock everything they got tickets. I sat there with my engine off like we were taking a break until the DNR left as I knew since those stock machines got tickets I would get one for sure on my sled with a aftermarket can. They came over and talked with us and we all agreed that it was some total Horse$#!t. With what little snow we have right now and at the price of our trail permits I can tell you that those two riders will not come back to michigan again.

Hey Cerial, I've been emailing with a local club guy and one his friends had these comments. Feel free to reply and I'll pass on your comments:

"I'm reaching out to the dnr. Whats curious is his comments that he sat and watched them get tickets on stock sleds " since those stock machines got tickets I would get one for sure on my sled with a aftermarket can."

No mention of visually seeing them with the test equipment, and from his vantage point he could see the exhausts were stock ?

I just ask the Sgt for the eup. They were up in Grand Marais last weekend. Nobody else in the eup dnr had the sound meter.

Something doesnt add up

Tim"

More:

"Spoke to DNR law enforcement. Last weekend was their first sound meter check and it was in Grand Marais. They have not tested anywhere else. As far as they are aware they are the only one with a meter.

No stock exhausts exceeded the max db during tests.

Some aftermarket cans passed or were just above and no tickets issued.

2 tested were in the mid to upper 90's in db.

5-6 citations were issued for those well over the threshold.

Some of the violations were from exhausts that had holes drilled in them and race pipes.

Feel free to share the above.

Tim"

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
The 2 I witnessed happened just west of ranger road where the trail crosses a logging road. As for them being stock I am not 100% sure but they were both axys machines. From what we had heard sitting there, they were stock exhaust. The officer couldn't't have been more than 15' away from them when in that one testing above states 50'. We saw the guys at cozy corners in brimley at the end of the day and they were bitching hard about it. So from my stand point what I saw was a sound meter test but you never know. I'm standing by what I saw and heard.

I also asked the guys to get on SnoWest and please tell their storey in the Michigan thread area.

Last edited:
R
Jan 26, 2016
The 2 I witnessed happened just west of ranger road where the trail crosses a logging road. As for them being stock I am not 100% sure but they were both axys machines. From what we had heard sitting there, they were stock exhaust. The officer couldn't't have been more than 15' away from them when in that one testing above states 50'. We saw the guys at cozy corners in brimley at the end of the day and they were bitching hard about it. So from my stand point what I saw was a sound meter test but you never know. I'm standing by what I saw and heard.

I also asked the guys to get on SnoWest and please tell their storey in the Michigan thread area.

Cerial,

How many officers were there ?

What agency was doing the test ? DNR or other ?

What other equipment did you see them use ?

There is a specific way these test have to be conducted each and everytime. They are allowing some allowances on sleds that are close to the db threshold. They are mainly issuing citations for sleds really exceeding the db limit.

In the only sound test so far by the dnr which was last weekend in Grand Marais only 5-6 citations were issued. Out of hundreds of sleds.

We are losing trails specifically due to excessive noise. Unfortunately our sport is part if the reason for losing these trails.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Cerial,

How many officers were there ?

What agency was doing the test ? DNR or other ?

What other equipment did you see them use ?

2 officers

I was assuming DNR since the dark green looking jackets.

The only thing I saw them using was what looked like a small black box roughly the size of a larger cell phone.

I agree with losing trails but on state land the limits shouldn't really matter IMO. If you know the area that I'm talking about then you know that the closest residence would be about 10-20 miles away in all directions. I don't know, I'm trying not to get worked up over it as I have an slp pipe and the thing can on my sled and love the sound. I trailer to the majority of the places so I don't go by too many houses. I try to be considerate to most around me and so do most of the guys that I ride with. The people that don't seem to care a whole lot are the High School kids. I don't mean to pick on them but it is that group that I see constantly hammering the throttle as they go through city trails and residential areas.

Oh well, I'll complain more if and when I get a citation.

Last edited:
O

olymon

I'd love to see an old stock zrt triple pass that noise test. Those things were obnoxious stock. I agree cerial, nothing around there but snow. I bet the business anywhere near there wish the DNR would leave their customers alone so they can make some money in the winter season.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

R
Jan 26, 2016
Just so people are not freaking out about these sound checks and to keep it in perspective.

5-6 Citations have been issued all winter in the whole eup all season so far. Think about how many snowmobiles go into Grand Marias and I would venture a guess that the violations were less than .50 % .

Stock sleds are passing so far with the ones tested.

They are giving some margin of error due to conditions, and type of exhaust

The ones that are in severe excess are being isued a citation.

They are documenting the results and photographing the pipes or holes drilled in pipes for record.

It it detrimental to our sport to create a frenzy about enforcement that just isnt happening. People reading comments about excessive enforcement that isnt true only adds to the fear for tourism.

Anyone can call and ask any dept for their stats and enforcement questions, and they will be glad to share it.

Premium Features