• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Messing with my head

D
Oct 21, 2013
Temp light on, CDI wiring issue?

Bought a "new" sled (600 XC SP 50th Anniversary) and have a weird electrical problem I cannot get my head around, although I believe the CDI harness is not wired properly. Here's a quick rundown of the issue:

Sled starts and runs and the premium fuel option works. If the keyswitch is in the Reg fuel position, I can kill the sled with the kill switch. If the keyswitch is in the Prem fuel or OFF position the sled will not shutdown, not even with the kill switch. Also the PERC does not function. I checked wiring @ the CDI and the Brown sensor wire was @ pin 7, Black sensor wire was @ pin 11.

Per service manual, Brown goes to pin 7, Black to pin 21 so I switched them. Then the temp light is on and it seems to be off with the timing. My understanding is the timing issue normal if the CDI detects an open/short with the temp sensor to help protect the engine. Everything else works as expected.
I checked resistance from the CDI connection for the temp sensor and it is within spec, so the sensor is good. Pin 21 to Pin 7 has no voltage, Pin 11 to Pin 7 has 5V. According to the service manual, Pin 11 to 12 is for the DET sensor, which I don't have. I have tried 2 different CDI's that were functional and get the exact same issue. I have checked all other electrical components and they are all within spec from what I can tell.
Does anyone have this or similar model that can give me a pinout from the CDI, I believe the service manual is incorrect.

Last edited:
Premium Features