• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

McCall - Gordon Titus Parking Lot

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Gordon Titus Parking Lot in McCall Idaho.

As those who use this parking lot know, there is a HUGE issue with getting people to park in a orderly fashion to allow as many as possible to be able to use this lot. There has been an effort to get approval to enlarge the lot to accommodate more vehicles, but it looks like that will not happen, at least not in the foreseeable future.

The only other choice we have is to educate everyone on the best use of the space we have to work with. Several have been involved with Forest Service over the last few months to establish some “Rules & Regulations” that will be on a sign all will see when entering the lot. We believe if everyone will use this as an example of how to park, it will help us all have a great experience when parking here.

* * * PLEASE SEE THE APPROVED FOREST SERVICE SIGN GRAPHIC THAT IS ATTACHED * * *

The issues we have struggled with are as follows –

* Not parking at the best angle to allow longer rigs to get in and out easily.
* Leaving far too much room between the sides of vehicles / Trailers.
* Leaving too much distance between the front and rear of truck/trailers.
* Sled decks in the center area of the lot.
* Pulling sleds out of trailers for warm up, and blocking the ability of others to pull in close to the side of other rigs.

The solutions we feel will help are as follows, and most of these “rules and regulations” will be on the Forest Service sign at the entrance.
* Leave NO MORE THAN 6 feet between the sides, front, and rear of vehicles / trailers.
* Pull sleds alongside your trailer and in single file when warming them up.
* Put up ramps and close trailer doors to allow incoming rigs to pull in close to those already parked.
* Sled decks, and trucks without trailers ONLY park along the east side of the lot – at an angle.
* Put ramps up on sled decks immediately upon unloading, to allow others to drive in the designated area.
* No overnight parking.
* Truck / Trailer combined length no more than 54 feet.

Please don’t forget to put on your stickers. The Forest Service DOES patrol this lot, and you will not be able to ride without the appropriate sticker on your sled.
AND . . don’t forget the 20 MPH speed zone until the Goose Creek Overlook. I am told that this area will be patrolled this year.

Titus Pk lot - FS approved.JPG

Attachments

• Gordon Titus Parking Config_2 - Forest Service Approved.pdf
    149.8 KB · Views: 23
F

formulaben

Dec 6, 2019
I was just there for the first time last week, so this is very useful. My question is where is the Goose Creek Overlook? I don't want to run afoul of the rules. Thanks!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I was just there for the first time last week, so this is very useful. My question is where is the Goose Creek Overlook? I don't want to run afoul of the rules. Thanks!

The Goose Creek Overlook is about 2.5 to 3 miles up the road from the Titus parking lot. Most of us call it the "avalanche zone". This is where it tops out before heading down to Brundage Reservoir. So technically for that 2.5 miles or so, we are supposed to keep it at 20 MPH. I have been told this area is patrolled sometimes and the fine is pretty stiff for violators. I must admit . . it's tough to go this slow on such a wide smooth trail.

Stop and look over the edge at that corner sometime. Its pretty steep there - GREAT view!! I know a guy who rode UP that from Goose Creek in one of the sled videos years ago. CRAZY MAN!! :)

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Nice job on this, Timbre! After our trip the other day it looks like some folks are getting the picture. Anxious to hear how it went this weekend. I’ll check with the trail rangers.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I agree . . . the parking was much more efficient. We just need the trucks and trailers to start off the angle a little "steeper" so longer rigs can get in line easier. We are making progress for sure! :)

The ones with sled decks did a FANTASTIC job on parking along the east side. Several did, however, forget to put up their ramps after unloading. On a week day, it was not much of an issue, but on a weekend, that can cause some major issues.

We also had some guys with trailers pull their sleds out the back and just left them there while warming up and getting ready . . . which took up 2 truck/trailer parking spots. Again, during the week its not a big deal, but on a weekend this takes away the ability of other rigs to park. If EVERYONE will just think of the OTHER person, and abide by these parking rules, it will make this parking lot SO much more efficient.

I am interested to get feedback from the trail rangers.

TecCrash

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2017
Middleton, ID
I know they are working on it at Francis-Wallace and Brush Creek as well, but the last 2 weekends it was complete chaos.. We ended up parking on the road and then taking the wives into Warren and then ride back out to park the trucks in the lot so we didn't get towed. It made for a nice night ride except for exploding 2 belts on the same sled.

Baxter850

Premium Member
Aug 28, 2019
Maybe they should do a little more about taking care of the trails on the weekend. no reason to groom it on a Monday or Tuesday when there's a hundred people there on the

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Maybe they should do a little more about taking care of the trails on the weekend. no reason to groom it on a Monday or Tuesday when there's a hundred people there on the

The trails are torn up BECAUSE . . . "there's a hundred people there on the weekends". The worst offenders in the hundred people are those with the twitchy throttle thumb . . . who do the brapp, brapp, brapp on the trails trying to look or sound "cool". The grooming breaks down quickly when you combine this with the amount of people using the trails. On the areas of heaviest use, if everyone would use a Steady throttle and lower speed, the grooming will last quite well for everyone to enjoy.

Premium Features