• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx upper idler spacing - Narrower than Axys

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Any speculation why the upper rear idlers are set narrower on some models than all previous Polaris skids? (Photos are hard to find)

Matryx idler 2.JPG

Last edited:

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
I think it's to help keep the ice and snow from forming by the brackets for the rear suspension.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm only speculating as I don't have all optioned sleds in front of me to compare.

Is this narrow idler setting on series 8 tracks? This would align these idlers with the rear wheels for tension through the track. I'm curious if the "softer" compound of the series 8 bowed the track where it rolled over these upper idlers so they had to move them in to keep the track "flatter" while in rotation.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
All the small improvements matter, and add up. Doo's spindle and snubber changes, as convoluted as they were initially marketed, were a nice improvement (really, not just pandering to the doo-riding-gotta-slam-the-poos crowd). We all recognize the advantage of shorter tunnels. Rear skid on the summit hasn't changed since the XS, has it? Some doo riders love it, others invest in lockouts, but there's a real opportunity for OEM changes there. Different sleds, different handling, different riders. Maybe poo nailed the cooler thing. Next nag - poo could address the gripper ski stoppers - assuming they haven't changed and shut up about it, of course.

Premium Features