• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx tunnel on Axys?

Hellsledder

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sweden
My Axys Pro RMK is going in for a tunnel swap, covered by insurance, before the snow flies again, and I was thinking about the possibilities to get a Matryx tunnel instead (Slash or regular)
I haven´t looked closely at the new tunnel, how about mounting the Axys tank/seat on a Matryx tunnel?
Coolant hoses, and possible the coolant bottle, would also have to changed, anything else that would be neded to make it work?
Anybody know if there´s a price differens between the Axys and the Matryx tunnels?

D
Dec 15, 2020
A-ARMS should fit and I'm pretty sure skid will also but my guess is under the hood you'd have major problems. Then you'd have to buy new tank, seat, bumpers, plastics and much more,, your probably better off buying a new sled.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I'd just put the mtntek cooler on and cut and shave the tunnel as you see fit. There's no way you're going to get a replacement part before the sleds are even delivered to the dealers.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I don't think you'd want the Switchback tunnel if the sled is primarily for mountain riding. No idea what you might run into installing a Matryx RMK tunnel (I'd think you'd want the slash tunnel if you're putting in the effort); I'd guess it's doable, but pretty good chance you'll need more than just the tunnel and cooler (as mentioned above). I wouldn't think it's worth the trouble, but if you're patient enough to wait for the parts to become available, and the potential for some significant custom work isn't intimidating, then it doesn't hurt to try. I know I'd be interested in how it goes (mostly out of curiosity), and I'm sure others would too.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I dont know how much your going to gain over just doing a tunnel cut on the axys.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Getting a dealer to replace an Axys tunnel with a Matryx tunnel using insurance hours could be more than a little challenging, and you're likely to miss most of next season to pull it off by a dealer, a shop, or yourself. Short of stealing a pre-production sled, getting a tunnel won't happen. Fixing a backup Axys with an Axys tunnel would be way cheaper, easier, faster, while putting more of each into your main sled. But, it is the time of year to ponder such possibilities.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
If it’s just the tunnel you’re replacing it should be pretty easy. Pretty much everything that attaches to it is the same other than the gas tank. You’d have to have a very good mechanic though. Most Polaris shops now barely know what a sled is let alone know how to work on one.

NOSNOWNOGO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2021
Edmond Oklahoma
Get a raw tunnel, Ask your dealer if you can take possession prior to assemly. Find Someone who can fab and weld aluminum. Have them taper rear part of coolers. Powder coat and dealer install. Talk Nicely. Say Please and Thank you a Lot!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The stealership wasn't mentioned to begin with, but if they're involved, it's starting to sound impossible unless you're good friends with the service manager. That goes for whatever you're trying to do with the tunnel. I've never insured a sled, let alone put in a claim, but if it's like most insurance for things with motors, the concern is getting it back to how it came from the factory for the least money. Very possible they won't pay a dime unless it's the original tunnel, to include anything done to that tunnel before the claim is completed. Doesn't hurt to ask, but the combination of a custom tunnel upgrade performed by a dealer and paid for by insurance sounds like trying to stuff three cats in a box...

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I've had tunnels replaced by insurance. Most dealers hate to do them, and many I wouldn't want to touch my sled. The best at it are shops that also do mountain sled rentals - they have lots of practice, tools, and technique.

Since they are replacing tunnels on their own rental sleds, usually at a real profit paid by the renter or renter's "insurance", and they will flip the sled after the rental season is over and want to get top doallar - they do a good job. Decals and all. JMPE.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
^ That's a good thought, and I'd definitely be looking for such a shop over a dealership for chassis work. Something like a slash tunnel on an AXYS might be a bit much even for them, although I'm sure some of them could figure it out. There are a few shops I'd bet could do it – the kind that have built and rebuilt sleds from the bulkhead up. It might be a challenge even for them, but at least you'd have the best chance there.

Premium Features