• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Matryx gas tank on Axys?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
We're trying something a bit different. I built a crude jig to hold the Axys tank and used uhmw and shims to compress the sides of the tank in a bit. I have it sitting up the rafters of my shop. It gets pretty hot up there. So my hope is that over the summer the tank re moulds to the new shape. Failing that I was going to use boiling water to heat the sides while it in the jig and then cool off with cold water.

IMG_5959.jpeg IMG_5964.jpeg IMG_5961.jpeg IMG_5963.jpeg

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
We're trying something a bit different. I built a crude jig to hold the Axys tank and used uhmw and shims to compress the sides of the tank in a bit. I have it sitting up the rafters of my shop. It gets pretty hot up there. So my hope is that over the summer the tank re moulds to the new shape. Failing that I was going to use boiling water to heat the sides while it in the jig and then cool off with cold water.
Be interesting to see if this works

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I would like to know why you need to put Matryx tank on an AXYS chassis Is one smaller/lighter than the other??? Just my dumb queation here.
gtwitch in wyoming

C
Nov 29, 2008
Be interesting to see if this works

Watching too ....would be nice to taper the profile to fit natural Stace a bit better ...
I think though that you will need more heat to soften and get it to plastic stage so you can alter the shape and form as it cools so it holds the desired shape ....variable temp heat gun might help ... identify the area related to the change required and the heat beyond the boundary to allow for transition between original shape and modified area ...
Sure that there's some automotive body folks on here with experience that could chime in ....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I would like to know why you need to put Matryx tank on an AXYS chassis Is one smaller/lighter than the other??? Just my dumb queation here.
gtwitch in wyoming
Maytrix tanks are narrower allowing for better comfort and movement.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
I have done lots of plastic molding and yes you are goin to need more heat. A heat gun and patience works best unless you have a portable heat lamp and a large sealable wood box to put it and your tank in or a spare oven so that you don't piss off your wife. Be careful not to stretch the plastic too much as it will get thinner and weaker

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Anything can be done if you don't give up...
a1248af9d0d6b29872ab57a690bb2de2.jpg
dbb04a00cf06d84e14ec8b39b5b3e42a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Premium Features