• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

March 1st conditions

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Rode out of Trailshead yesterday the 1st of March, the trails we were on were acceptable (no bare spots yet) but the snow is getting crusty, off-trail varied from fast and smooth in the popular meadows to crust over deep powder depending on where you were, some of the meadows to the south had very few tracks in them and were quite good, the problem is the thermometer at Trailshead said 60 degrees in the shade at noon. We decided to quit then because it was just too warm, 6 inches of slush at the gas pumps. Much cooler, cloudy, and a dusting of snow overnight, if we could get just a few inches of snow this week and a little cooler I think the riding would be good for several weeks yet because of the deep base in most areas but who knows what will happen, hope the info helps, will report again next week.

Last edited:
D
Dec 9, 2007
hudson, south dakota
sounds like the conditions are still quite well up there. Coming out to ride fri and sat this coming weekend. Which way would u say the better riding is. North or South of trailshead with less tracks? Heard its supposed to snow a couple times this week. Hopefully they get a few inches

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
"if we could get just a few inches of snow this week and a little cooler I think the riding would be good for several weeks yet"

I think your description of conditions is pretty accurate but I would caution anyone wanting to come out here after the next couple weeks to do their homework first. "Several weeks" is not at all likely. Groomers are now working on abbreviated shifts due to poor snow conditions on the trails (too wet) and the melting will start to erode the base very quickly. I really think that we will not be grooming after the 15th to any degree. I rode yesterday and was suprised at the good conditions but saw a lot of areas where the trail base was getting pretty thin. I would estimate, based on the current weather forecast, that thru the next weekend would be pretty good but day by day after that. If you mean 2 to 3 when you say several I could buy that but do not plan a sledding trip out here for the first part of April. Not gonna happen.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
If you are looking for less tracks and smooth running in meadows I would go south and if you are looking for deeper snow in protected areas with tracks cutting across it you can go north but either way there should be good snow through this coming weekend like firetrail said after that who knows.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Onlyrotax:
Sorry if I sounded critical of you. I did not mean to be. I just thought several weeks was pretty optomistic and I did not want anyone to think a trip out here after the next couple weeks would be a sure thing for good riding. As someone has mentioned, a large portion of the sledders that come to the Hills are primarily trail riders and the trails are the first to do away. They stll look pretty good but some of them are showing signs of erosion. As you know, snowcover in the Hill can be gone VERY quickly. Some areas out west can linger on with good snow long after we are done. Those freaky April blizzards are mother natures gift to those of us who live here. 4 feet of snow on Sat. and pretty much gone by Tues. Have a good one.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
Sounds like the heat must have hit pretty hard on saturday and sunday. I rode there all last week and was able to find great snow every day. They were getting 2-3 inches of fresh every night. We found logging roads right off main trails that have not been hit once this year. This is the first time I have ever been able to climb to the tops of some of this hills without running out of snow.

P1010072.jpg

P1010077.jpg

P1010139.jpg

JW

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
O'Neill, NE
Hey guys, hope we can keep this thread updated as often as possible. I am heading out for this weekend and I trust you guys more than the alternative sources. You guys are out there. Thank you very much and keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!! Pray for snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H
Dec 27, 2007
South Dakota
I rode the Hills both Sat and Sun. Rode out of Trailshead. Both days we rode down to Buckhorn and back although we did not ride trails. We took the trees and there was PLENTY of untouched snow. We got stuck multiple times in multiple places. Snow was great in the trees so if you're willing to go in and possibly lose a sense of direction (not to hard to find a trail after a while though) it's well worth it. Sat. snow was good for most of the day. Seemed to get a little crustier as it got colder around 4-ish. Sun. it snowed the majority of the day. Left around 5 so not sure how much accumulated. Wind was blowing too which did not help. If anyone wants to see pics, send a pm my direction.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Onlyrotax:
Sorry if I sounded critical of you. I did not mean to be. I just thought several weeks was pretty optomistic and I did not want anyone to think a trip out here after the next couple weeks would be a sure thing for good riding. As someone has mentioned, a large portion of the sledders that come to the Hills are primarily trail riders and the trails are the first to do away. They stll look pretty good but some of them are showing signs of erosion. As you know, snowcover in the Hill can be gone VERY quickly. Some areas out west can linger on with good snow long after we are done. Those freaky April blizzards are mother natures gift to those of us who live here. 4 feet of snow on Sat. and pretty much gone by Tues. Have a good one.
No problem firetrail I know as well as anyone that has lived around the Hills for a while that this thing could be over in a matter of days if we get a warm wind and a lot of sunshine .

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
keepin fingers crossed.. headin out the 13th. hopefully can get a storm between now and then. bringin out a couple newbs but would still like to be able to mess around a little myself

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
Sledding the hills

Anybody know if its snowing out there would like to come out sat march 8 and sunday march 9th. Wondering if the snow is still holding up from the warmth and if its worth it Thanks

N
Feb 14, 2008
riding on sunday the 2nd

I figured I would have to trailer to rec springs or trails head but I ended being able to unload at custer crossing on 385. Thats the best snow I have seen on the trails this late in the year on the eastern side. The wifey and I rode from there to rec springs, tore up that all you can eat breakfast buffet and played some pool then headed back. The offtrail snow was set up pretty hard but there were still some fun places to play. National weather services says 1-3 up there today and another 2-4 tonight and it looks like the temps are gonna stay down a bit untill the weekend so hopefully they will be able to get out and groom a bit even. I plan on being out again on sunday.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Anybody know if its snowing out there would like to come out sat march 8 and sunday march 9th. Wondering if the snow is still holding up from the warmth and if its worth it Thanks
Snowing tonight in Spearfish, weatherman Mike said 3 to 6 inches for the Northern Hills (probably from Trailshead north) 40's this weekend, should be decent condidtions.

Premium Features