• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

magnesium clutch covers?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
have they put the magnesium covers on the sled clutches yet?
was a notable upgrade to an older polaris quad of ours.
edit, I guess they gotta get the new slim clutches to hold up better before lightweight upgrades, but wonder why the quads use them and not sleds.

Last edited:

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
have they put the magnesium covers on the sled clutches yet?
was a notable upgrade to an older polaris quad of ours.
edit, I guess they gotta get the new slim clutches to hold up better before lightweight upgrades, but wonder why the quads use them and not sleds.
2 stroke vs. 4 stroke. I remember reading an article once about clutch longevity in 4 strokes being much better than 2 strokes due to the more linear power delivery. High power 2 strokes have a more abrupt/violent powerband that's rough on the whole drivetrain.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
They used them on the 2 strokes too, thats what ours is, albeit not nearly as much HP as a sled. I should'v posted the question in the Axys forum. The covers on the quads I am talking are same design as a P-85.
One thing Im thinking is balancing. the heavier aluminum, you can drill holes in the cover to balance it better. like putting weights on both sides of your car wheel. probably better than just balancing the inside.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
With clutches, lighter is not better.
It’s similar to a lightweight, skimpy clothes tight skirt female.
Revs up fast, looks great, works great but only for a short time. Poor long term performance. Haha

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
weight past the end of the crank stub suspended by wear bushings es no bueno

Premium Features