• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Gas Tank fitment

W
Apr 3, 2018
The threads on my 2011 M8 Sno Pro gas tank are busted since someone must have tightened down the gas cap wrong. I don't see any option on how to fix it besides purchasing a new gas tank.

I keep looking on eBay and I find gas tanks for the 2008 - 2010 M8, but nothing for the 2011. Will these tanks work with a 2011? They seem 100 percent identical to each other, but they do have different part numbers.

I appreciate any advice!

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
Gas Tank

The tanks are the same. Go to your local dealer and give him your vin number. This was a warranty issue and most likely AC will send you a tank for free and pay for the dealer to install it. I have two tanks sitting in my shop just in case mine does the same thing.

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Tjcatman, you believe they’re more or less giving them away? I haven’t tried yet, but I don’t generally have good luck getting free stuff.

I have an 09 Snopro I just bought used that has this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
cat had a epa recall and many have been replaced 10+ years out and if your dealer doesn't get it done for you it's on their side.

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Thanks guys! My dealer said they would replace it once they get one in stock (mid October or so). Supposedly they’re backordered.

I asked if they needed to install it, or if I could, and he said they needed to I still it. Doesn’t matter that much, I would just have liked to don’t it. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

meierjn

Nov 11, 2008
cat had a epa recall and many have been replaced 10+ years out and if your dealer doesn't get it done for you it's on their side.

Where about is it on the AC site? I tried the dealer for my 2011 HCR and they said that there was no recall. I'll try the AC site directly if I can find it. Mine is cracked at the bottom of the neck below the threads as well.

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon

While the 11 isnt specifically listed, arctic cat will prob still do it. Got a tank for my 11 pro last yr. Have your dealer submit a recall with your vin and they'll accept or deny. I installed mine but dealer wanted the old tank back. Prob billed ac for labor. ?Its an easy swap even though the new tank isn't exactly the same.

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Ok guys, cat is giving me the run-around. They told me they aren’t making the tank anymore and my dealer doesn’t have any either. So I’m sort of out of luck. I’ll keep on calling cat, but for a week and half now, 3 or 4 messages and no luck.

But that’s not why I’m posting. I’m headed out west this weekend and need a quick fix for sealing this up beat as possible. Would gasket maker work? Like Permatex Ultra Black? Or what would you do? Previous owner has something on it already, it’s hard as a rock and broke as you can see.
b4862bb4282521181de0b52e9070ae6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Try an automotive body shop, some of them have a "plastic welder". I was in West Yellowstone at the Cat shop a couple of years ago and an out of state sled owner had the same problem; Was ordering a new tank to be able to continue his vacation riding; He owned a body shop back in MN & told me if he was back home it would be an easy fix; remove the tank, drain the fuel & plastic weld it!?!?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
For those of you who received a replacement tank from Cat, is it the same capacity as the original? I have not filled mine from completely empty to full but either the fuel gauge is off or the tank is smaller because I dont seem to have the range I used to. When my gauge needle is showing empty the tank only took 7.5 gallons to fill to near the top of the filler neck.

Also, the inside color of my new tank is black so it is very hard to see the fuel level when peering in thru the cap. My oem tank was ivory colored on the inside and I could easily see the fuel level.

2010 M8

S
Aug 28, 2017
oregon
Just looked at mine and it's black inside. My needle is the same way. Drops like a rock and runs forever on empty. It's not really empty even tho the guage says so.

M

meierjn

Nov 11, 2008
I am giving the Permatex Black Plastic Welder a try. It seems to have stuck really well. I also bought a used tank in the event it fails. You can only get this epoxy in the US though.

https://www.permatex.com/products/adhesives-sealants/epoxies/permatex-black-plastic-welder/

So far so good. One ride with a full tank and no leaks. I did pry the crack open a bit with a narrow flat head screwdriver to ensure the epoxy was actually in the crack and not just coating the crack. I then put the cap back on and clamped everything down with a ratchet strap to ensure everything was tight while the epoxy dried. I'll update if there are any changes. Hopefully it holds up...

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I used JB Weld plastic bonder for a cross link poly repair (which is a very difficult plastic to bond and can't be thermowelded). Worked really well. I rough sanded the area and laid down some fiberglass cloth. Would work well for this tank's plastic also.

Premium Features