• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Primary Clutch Advise

J
Jan 25, 2019
Hello Everyone,

First time poster, longtime forum stocker. I have a 2006 M7 with approx 2000 miles, bone stock sled. Recently noticed at the end of last week's ride that my primary clutch wasn't releasing the belt at idle. Took a look, found a large crack in the spider....

Here are my options:
1. New arctic cat spider: $180
- would have to pay shop to have spider removed since I'm not
savvy enough to remove myself
2. New arctic cat replacement clutch from amazon $299
- https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Cat-Drive-Clutch-0746-435/dp/B01LRJ7BKO
- upside is I can reuse weights and spring
3. New Comet clutch from msg: $280
- looks like my weights and spring wouldn't fit per forums, would
have to buy those ($60)

Those are the options. Thoughts? Leaning towards option #2.

Please chime in! Thanks Everyone!

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Yup, go with the new cat clutch. I rebuilt mine and it didn't last long at all before the spider cracked and stripped out. A new clutch should last you a good long time, and you already know the setup.

J
Jan 25, 2019
Thanks everyone for the input! I ordered the arctic cat clutch. Should I just buy new weights and spring or just reuse the old parts? Also how do I know which alignment tool to buy? I saw several when I googled.

Thanks again.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
New spring...will revive the Rs
Check weights carefully. You can use them again but check carefully for any damage. Cat rollers go easily with bad weights. Also carefully check pivot bolts...any doubt, replace.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you have the stock secondary get the alignment bar for your 2006 m7. When I put a 10.4 secondary on my M7 I had to go to the newer 2009+ alignment bar.

J
Jan 25, 2019
So, I bought a new clutch, swapped weights, primary spring and bolts. Cam arms look fine, bolts were pretty rusted. I think I’m just going to replace everything for another 70 bucks. My primary had a blue primary spring with a small white stripe. Cam arms at 669/60 (60 grams). Looks like previous owner played with the primary clutch. Secondary has a white spring. Revs to 8400. Stock sled, are the revs too high?

Still haven’t checked alignment, plan to buy the tool next.

Clutch works great so far though. :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features