• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1100 turbo misses and backfires at half throttle

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
Had the same problem..took everything apart, replaced a bunch of parts that I didn't need to. Even had the local shop look at it and they tore all the turbo stuff apart thinking that was the problem....turns out I added some fuel additive for de-icing and it plugged the fuel filter So be careful what fuel de-icing fluid you use.

I was quite curious about your post. I replace the fuel filter yearly, but this past fall I added octane boost and water remover to the fuel left in the tank from the summer. First rip out the sled was popping and backfiring at full throttle. I knew everything else was good as I do a pre season check. After reading your post i decided to replace the fuel filter again just to see. Sled started easier and idles much smoother. Haven't had a chance to ride at WOT yet. Took old fuel filter and opened it up. Filter material was quite brittle.

I'll know more this weekend as will be out for a ride. If indeed the fuel filter, one has to wonder what kind of fuel filter can't handle chemicals designed for treating fuel.

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
Thought I would post back for anyone interested. No more issues with sled running quality once the fuel filter was replaced. I too use the NAPA filters. Maybe they are not compatible with some fuel additives? Regardless, despite yearly replacement it seems it can still be an issue. I might source out a slightly larger capacity unit, especially being tuned with CAI.

Premium Features