• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Rebuild

09snopro

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2008
Shelley, ID
I need to put a new top end in my 09 M1000 turbo. I was wondering if oem pistons are the best or if there is something better out there? Also who has the best price on the parts? Thanks

A
Jan 2, 2013
your going to want a forged piston everyday of the week, oem is cast and your pushing your lock with boost. i would recomend wiseco pistons, there spendy but worth it 10 times out of 9. Find a dealler for western power sports and go there. if your in the portland oregon area/ vancouver washington area let me know and i can hook you up with a good dealer.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
your going to want a forged piston everyday of the week, oem is cast and your pushing your lock with boost. i would recomend wiseco pistons, there spendy but worth it 10 times out of 9. Find a dealler for western power sports and go there. if your in the portland oregon area/ vancouver washington area let me know and i can hook you up with a good dealer.

Welcome to the forum.

I would use the oem pistons, Suzuki builds a solid two stroke and uses cast pistons for a reason and it is not because it is cheaper. I have had bad luck with wisco in the past, a lot of there piston kits do not even have the clearance specs with them. I built my fist 2-stroke turbo kit 13 years ago and understand how boost works. If you counting on detonating the motor or running a big hit of nitrous forged pistons would be a choice. Whenever I can I use cast pistons in 2-smokers, I know not ever one will agree but I have never had a piston failure keep in mind I do not run big boost numbers on 2-strokes ether, that would be just making more work for myself.

Last edited:
E
Jan 20, 2009
Finland
Just yesterday blew up both my TM1000 stock pistons.

Not melted just cracked into pieces.
No signs of detonation.
2016_1365100059.jpg

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
You blew up 2 boosted m1000 in the same day?

Were you using the same fuel?

Both with broken ring lands?

That really sucks

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I prefer the stock pistons. No issues with any of the local M1000's running boost.

Thunder

Eemile-no signs of detonation, but bet it was. How many LBS of boost and what fuel? Curious

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
See the missing pieces between rings.......these are signs of detonation.

I agree, you would have taken out forged as well, maybe not cracked, but would have been melted above the top ring. I like wiescos but the stock pistons have proven themselves over and over in turbo apps.

Forged = less silicon, more resistant to stress, but easier to melt
Cast = more silicon, harder to melt, but can crack

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Stock or stock replacements

Have run stock cat, wiseco and SPI pistons. The cast ones in a properly setup, properly fueled sled will last as long as you want them to. Forged are good for one season and throw them in the garbage. Quit running my 1200 because Wiseco forged is only choice and had to be changed every year due to ring land wear. On the exhaust side you could fit almost 2 rings in the gaps after less than a 1000 miles. No failure. I got 4 yrs on my other 1000 sled running similar turbo setup and when changed pistons (stock) they looked like new. Have also used SPI pistons in turbos and seem as good as the OEM. The pics above of the cracked stock pistons are strictly deto. Poorly setup or wrong fuel/boost levels. I know this very well from my early M1 turbo days. Did that to at least 3 pistons before I got it right. BTW this is on sleds run every day for normal riding, not racing at 8-14 lbs boost. Pulling some chutes, trees, lots of WOT and all at 5-9000 feet.

Last edited:
R
Sep 12, 2010
I have had good luck with the stock pistons, Ill put a top end kit on yearly. I put on a bunch of miles and at $300 it quite cheep insurance espechally when you get all the gaskets with it. Never mind burning a piston how many motors have gone just with a leaky gasket, If youre one of those guys that dets out all the time get a timing key a littel more cheep insurance.

E
Jan 20, 2009
Finland
That my pic is result of 13PSI at sealevel. :face-icon-small-hap

CF1000, 10.5:1 head, 2.07mm(0.0815") squish, -2 timing, 50/50 93oct pumpgas+VP Q16(MON 116)

Last edited:

turboDS1300

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
OEM Cast pistons have been great for me in the TM1. I pulled the original set of stock AC pistons last fall after 3 seasons of use and they were in excellent shape. I bought my rebuild kit from Ken's Sports in WI. Sometimes they run specials on their website or eBay.

E
Jan 20, 2009
Finland
Something weird hapened to my CF1000. :rolleyes:
555944_525481200874005_1545881660_n.jpg

Same 1000cc engine as above with new Wössner forged pistons.
Lowered compression a bit more. Stock ignition timing.
16psi at sealevel. No signs of deto.

Premium Features